If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Gonzaga of the ...... in other news our NET ranking will plummet
By Jonathan Carone
This is going to happen this year. We are relying on freshmen and sophomores. It’s much easier to get up for SEC schools than empty gym ASun teams. Freshmen and sophomores rarely have the discipline to self motivate regardless of opponent. We’ll get there, but we aren’t there yet.
jmclaughlin, Liberty22 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I’d rather we work the kinks out now than February/March, but I’d feel a lot better if we hadn’t repeated the same issues 3 weekends in a row.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 15th, 2021, 10:18 pm Bad 2nd half, especially on offense.
Defense was crap, as well. Always left the lane open resulting in an easy 2 or a foul.
ballcoach15 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I will start to get concerned if we lose tonight. Win, and we will have played the 2 other teams projected at the top of the league 4 times on the road and split. That's a bit disappointing (especially considering Stetson is withought their big man) but not terribly worrisome. With the announcement of a single site tournament, the regular season will mean even less than usual.
By Dalegarz1
I agree totally with ALAFlamesfan about our lack of toughness. We sorely miss the tenacity and fight of a Scottie James (and others). We have the appearance of a "finesse" team. When you're a foxhole, finesse is not what's needed.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Anything less than what we did tonight would be serious cause for concern. Obviously we can still win it but we clearly will have to play well to beat lipscomb or stetson. Stetson has taken inferior talent and played us tough the last 5 games and won 2 of them.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We split on the road with the teams that were picked 1st and 3rd pre-season. Stetson actually had more 1st place votes from the coaches than we did. Nothing is going to come easy in conference, but in theory we have our toughest games behind us.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It has been touched on some by others but we are young. It is going to be frustrating at times with thus group. It is how we respond to those bad performances that tell us what this team is made of.

Also one thing to note is conference foes are used to the pack line and are probably more prepared for it than non conference teams. Maybe.

Either way, I'm glad to escape with a split.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 16th, 2021, 8:00 pm It has been touched on some by others but we are young. It is going to be frustrating at times with thus group. It is how we respond to those bad performances that tell us what this team is made of.

Also one thing to note is conference foes are used to the pack line and are probably more prepared for it than non conference teams. Maybe.

Either way, I'm glad to escape with a split.
I don't think there is any question that ASUN teams are more prepared for the pack line than most. If you look at P5 conference teams we faced, obviously ACC teams have experience against UVA and B1G (sort of) against IN. I don't think anyone in the SEC or Big 12 plays it.
thepostman liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
How did you like their baseball promo? Did anyone catch it. Awesome job!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So, unless I missed something, we are not scheduled to play again til the 29th and 30th at Jacksonville. :banghead
Any word on rescheduling the FGCU games?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I heard an announcer say that every team has a scheduled weekend off, probably to allow for COVID-related rescheduling. Hopefully we can use the time well.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 17th, 2021, 9:34 am I heard an announcer say that every team has a scheduled weekend off, probably to allow for COVID-related rescheduling. Hopefully we can use the time well.
We (and I assume the rest of the ASUN) actually have 2 scheduled weekends off. For us they are this coming week and also the 19th and 20th of Feb. There is a somewhat cryptic and strangely worded line at the end of the Liberty website's report on last nights game saying "The ASUN Conference will announce an updated conference schedule with updated opponents and times in the next coming weeks. "

https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cf ... 7&teamID=6

I can only surmise this will be to accommodate the games postponed due to FGCU's quarantine. I would think they will need to come up with something pretty soon.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
North Florida is also scheduled off this week. If we were to play (it would be in Lynchburg) that would free up 2/5&6 for both teams and although FGCU is scheduled to play Stetson on those dates, it might open things up for future re-shuffling. With the possibility of more outbreaks hanging over everything, it just doesn't make sense for anyone to be taking a week off at this point.
ballcoach15 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yes, they should make every effort to have teams play games when they’re healthy so that the open weekends can come in handy if they’re not. I’m sure there’s some complications to it as far as travel and accommodations, but the goal should be no cancelled games and that every postponed game has the ability to be rescheduled.
ballcoach15 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Based on how it went down when the conference scheduled us to play KSU after FGCU shut down, I would think we will hear about schedule changes tomorrow. Can't see any reason not to have us playing UNF this Fr/Sat.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
We definitely lost some head scratchers, but I wouldn't write this team off yet. Calm down folks!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote: January 20th, 2021, 11:35 am We definitely lost some head scratchers, but I wouldn't write this team off yet. Calm down folks!
Our 2 conference losses are to the 2 other best rated ASUN teams on the road. I'm not scratching my head at all.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
About this time last year, we lost back to back conference games to UNF and Stetson, landing us at 5-2 in conference. We turned out ok then.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]