Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
September 11th - @ Troy in Troy, AL

Veterans Memorial Stadium
Opened in 1950 - Seats 30,402

Pending COVID restrictions, the first road trip of the 2021 season begins down in Southern Alabama in the midst of pines halfway between Montgomery and Dothan. For most folks such a trip doesn't have the glitz and glamour of some of our other road trips. But ballcoach is vertainly not most folks.

September 25th - @ Syracuse in Syracuse, NY

Carrier Dome
Opened in 1980 - Seats 49,250

The building is probably more iconic for most of us as a hoops venue but the venerable old stadium ireceived a facelift with its new roof just in time for us to roll in and knock them around in front of no one in the stands. And good news! The stadium named after the inventor of air conditioning will actually have A/C for the 2022 season. That won't help much this fall but temps shouldn't be an issue in September in Upstate NY. Late September could mean some fantastic fall foliage and the nearby Finger Lakes region would be a great destination if the leaves are turning at the right time.

October 2nd - @ UAB in Birmingham, AL

Protective Stadium
Opened in 2021 - Seats 47,100

After being resurrected from the dead, UAB's revival under Bill Clark led to the construction of this 47k seat stadium in Uptown Birmingham for the 2021 season that replaces ancient Legion Field. Birmingham itself presents some great ways to cap off a weekend trip. Motorcycle enthusiasts consider the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum a mecca second only to Harley in Milwaukee. But motorsports fans of all tastes will love this museum and complex.

Then there are a slew of Civil Rights attractions including the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute and the 16th Avenue Baptist Church. But no trip to 'Bama would be complete without some 'cue. Dreamland is the institution but there are some other great joints across the city including Jim 'n Nick's 5 Points South location.

October 16th - @ Louisiana-Monroe in Monroe, LA

Malone Stadium
Opened in 1978 - Seats 30,427[/b]

Get your Duck Dynasty fix as we roll into Northeast Louisiana to face the Warhawks under new coach Terry Bowden. I fyou are looking for Cajun cuisine, that's down south by ULM's sister school at Lafayette and along the I-10 corridor. Up in the this section of Louisiana, there is some Cajun/Creole to be found because the mudbugs are everywhere ... even though it will be out of season in the fall. The only places in the area worth a look at Duck Commander/Buck Commander HQ and the Biedenharn Museum which has Coca Cola and Bible museums. Obviously the Duck Dynasty connections to LU are well dosumented.

October 23rd - @ North Texas in Denton, TX

Apogee Stadium
Opened in 2011 - Seats 30,850[/b]

The Flames finally return to Texas just north of the CFW Metroplex and south of the Oklahoma border. Flights into both DFW and Love Field should be cheap and abundant. The Dallas-Fort Worth area has no shortage of things to see, do and eat. But I strongly recommend everyone check out Turner Gill's hometown of Fort Worth to experience the Stockyards and Southwestern Seminary's Tandy Institute for Archaelogy (Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit is now gone).

November 13th - @ Ole Miss in Oxford, MS

Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
Opened in 1915 - Seats 64,038

Cider Jim can wax poetic about Oxford. Outside of the campus, there's not much to see. If you are fan of Elvis, Tupelo's about an hour east and Memphis not much further NW. Memphis has a surprising number of cool things to check out but it is nearly 1.5 hours away. Hopefully Coach Freeze will share some of his dining tips in an upcoming news conference (hint-hint, ASOR staff).
LUOrange liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
If at all possible I’ll be at Troy and UAB. Haven’t seen a game in person in a couple of years.
By LU 57
Not sure if this is still the case, but the Troy student section was behind the visitor’s bench back in the day. Lot’s of direct commentary, referencing names, hometowns, etc from the roster :lol:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Late October I am going to have back-to-back games within driving distance from Houston. After not attending a game in 2020, I am ready to makeup for lost opportunities.
By LUOrange
If tyrannical King Andrew will allow, I'll be making the pilgrimage home to Syracuse for the game. I'd recommend Heid's of Liverpool for great local hot dogs and coneys, Pavones Pizza and Twin Trees Pizza as some local staples. There's also the Spaghetti Warehouse and the famous Dinosaur BBQ. the Warehouse is good, never tried the Dinosaur BBQ- they started up long after I left town. Doug's Fish Fry in Skaneateles is also good, but it's little bit of a drive from Syracuse, but Skaneateles is a nice upper class town that is a part of the Finger Lakes. Your lady friends will enjoy Destiny USA (Carousel Mall) to me). Just a few tips about the Cuse.

I probably won't make any other away games, but wouldn't mind ULM just to swing by the Duck Boys!
Last edited by LUOrange on January 1st, 2021, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CCWMichael, sstaedtler liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
In Oxford, visit Rowan Oak, the former home of novelist William Faulkner and visit the downtown Square. My favorite places downtown were Square Books and the Gin restaurant (if it's still open), and Faulkner has statue on the Square where he is sitting on a bench. In the nearby town of Taylor is where we would always go for our catfish dinners!
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 1st, 2021, 7:28 am In Oxford, visit Rowan Oak, the former home of novelist William Faulkner and visit the downtown Square. My favorite places downtown were Square Books and the Gin restaurant (if it's still open), and Faulkner has statue on the Square where he is sitting on a bench. In the nearby town of Taylor is where we would always go for our catfish dinners!
I could see a road trip with Smooth to a game next year
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
For anyone flying to UNT, DFW will be more convenient to the campus than Love Field. Love Field is more convenient if you're planning on staying in Dallas, DFW is staying in Arlington or Fort Worth.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Agreed but I think most will be more focused on which airlines give the best rates. Southwest has you covered at Love while nearly all the other significant carriers are at American's home base of DFW. I plan on driving up I-45 to I-35E.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: January 29th, 2021, 7:46 pm Agreed but I think most will be more focused on which airlines give the best rates. Southwest has you covered at Love while nearly all the other significant carriers are at American's home base of DFW. I plan on driving up I-45 to I-35E.
Yes. Southwest, Delta, and Alaska are the only commercial airlines at Love. ULCCs Spirit and Frontier go to DFW, as does American, Delta, United, Alaska, JetBlue, etc...

Safe travels up the interstates. I definitely do not miss the drivers in Dallas.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I still have all kinds of leave restrictions due to covid. I sure hope things improve and those let up so I can get to the Burg for a game, let alone any of these road games.
By LUOrange
Dalegarz1 wrote: January 30th, 2021, 10:44 am Be making the trip to Syracuse with my family if the state Czar allows it.
If you need a hotel room, I'd suggest booking it now. I booked mine the other day and got a room at a decent rate. Several hotels have already sold out that weekend. If you wait too much longer they'll all sell out or the prices will skyrocket.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 30th, 2021, 10:13 am I still have all kinds of leave restrictions due to covid. I sure hope things improve and those let up so I can get to the Burg for a game, let alone any of these road games.
Pretty sure you’re going to be restricted to base until 2022. :D
By CCWMichael
In hopes of making the Cuse game our family road trip this year.
Temporary planes are to visit the corning area pregame then head to Canada post game.
The Finger Lakes are fantastic coming from a kayaking and fishing family.
If one loves smallmouth fishing Canadia is not a bad run but one of our favorite feeding establishments is in Canadia .....
Copa Cabana Brazilian Steakhouse.
I hope we can pull it off.
LUOrange liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
If things get better, I'll be across the pond when a lot of these games are played.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We had hoped to have our rescheduled Europe trip this summer but that is already dead on our end.

It is tough to make serious plans when we don't have a clue whether or not we will be allowed in stadiums. But hotel reservations are easily canceled if needed.

I actually may organize a roadie to Oxford if they get back close to capacity for that game. I know that locals have that game circled on their calendar which will make the secondary market tight.
CCWMichael, LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: January 31st, 2021, 3:37 pm We had hoped to have our rescheduled Europe trip this summer but that is already dead on our end.

It is tough to make serious plans when we don't have a clue whether or not we will be allowed in stadiums. But hotel reservations are easily canceled if needed.

I actually may organize a roadie to Oxford if they get back close to capacity for that game. I know that locals have that game circled on their calendar which will make the secondary market tight.
Out EuroTrip got pushed to Summer 2022 and we had to rearrange how we do are going to enjoy it

I think Smooth and I are going to try the Ole Miss game. Thinking of staying in Memphis and commuting from there if that’s feasible
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
CJ can give better clarity. I work pretty regularly in Memphis and see the allure of 'cue and attractions. But keep in mind that Memphis is a pretty rough town. I have found myself stayng in some pretty shady places in Memphis that looked great online. My kids still talk about a suites hotel where we stayed near the airport. Never stay near MEM. Ever.

I know he hasn't been posting on here in awhile but SeoulFlame is from this area of Northern Mississippi and returns home annually from Kuala Lumpur. I can share my favorite BBQ joints but he would be a great resource. Can he hear me posting in Malaysia?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]