Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ill flame
thepostman wrote: December 27th, 2020, 1:53 pm Hopefully he at least watched the game and didn't get lost on the bike trail.

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see where we rank in the final CFP rankings. Sadly since we were never ranked in those rankings, Coastal will probably still finish ahead of us.
There is no post playoff CFP ranking. The AP rankings are all we have to go off of after the bowl games.
thepostman liked this
By LUAlum1215
What a game. I can't remember getting that into a game yelling and cheering and carrying on since we played Stony Brook during Thanksgiving at the Bill years ago. So much fun. As we already knew, Coastal lacks character. I was 5 rows off the bench and for the entire game #4 was arguing with and cussing fans anytime their defense was on the field while McCall and Gallagher moped around the sideline most of their time not on the field. I didn't expect the overall attitude of their bench for a top 15 program. Great game, typical LU/CCU crazy, and glad to have been there. I told a few people last night I've been to probably 200 LU football games and have never seen nor enjoyed one as much as I did last night.

Also, if you took the over on 3.5 fans getting arrested for fighting in the stands you can collect at the pay window. Couldn't tell affiliation on the first set but looked to be one fan of each school on the second bout.
ATrain, Just John, chris leedlelee and 1 others liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote: December 27th, 2020, 11:24 am
Kricket wrote: December 27th, 2020, 9:43 am It's funny that the Coastal fans are pretending they didn't care if they won this game anyway. :rofl
https://www.coastalfans.com/forum/index ... c=60803.15
Yea I saw that too. They were saying things like, "I didn't even care who the opponent was, Liberty was acting like this was some big rivalry or something, they had beatcoastal gear on like it's 2015".
The ironic thing is, ever since they left the Big South, they talk more about us over there than we do over here. (Yes, I lurk on their board)
Kricket liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 27th, 2020, 1:44 am Officiating was horrible, but it was horrible for both sides. We overcame 3 TO's, which is hard to do. CCU has a good QB and some good receivers. But I have to say, for the last time this year, they play dirty and it is a reflection of their coach. Chadwell is a punk.
Great win for the Flames.
Most anyone that comes out of CSU is a punk. I have nothing good to say about CSU's athletic department, and that goes back to well before Jeff Barber went there.
By LU 57
BJWilliams wrote: December 27th, 2020, 10:20 am My guess is Coastal saw how explosive we've been on kickoffs and did that to sacrifice field position in exchange for not giving up a kick return touchdown. We had a huge return called back by a holding penalty at one point.
To be fair, the officiating crew was pretty brutal all around and missed calls on both sides; however the holding call on the long kick return was ridiculous. Both players had a hold of each other’s jerseys because they were falling to the ground at the end of a pancake block. Guy had no shot of making the play.
jweaks, flameshaw liked this
By Damien Sordelett
Registration Days Posts
I’m in the Charlotte airport trying to process exactly how everything unfolded last night. That was a bowl game that will be hard to top over the next couple of weeks.

I talked to Chima Uzowihe this morning. Boy, was he happy. Blocked kicks are starting to become a thing in the rivalry. (Shameless plug for my work.)

https://newsadvance.com/sports/college/ ... op-story-1
PAmedic, alabama24, rtb72 and 5 others liked this
By jweaks
LU 57 wrote: December 27th, 2020, 3:34 pm
BJWilliams wrote: December 27th, 2020, 10:20 am My guess is Coastal saw how explosive we've been on kickoffs and did that to sacrifice field position in exchange for not giving up a kick return touchdown. We had a huge return called back by a holding penalty at one point.
To be fair, the officiating crew was pretty brutal all around and missed calls on both sides; however the holding call on the long kick return was ridiculous. Both players had a hold of each other’s jerseys because they were falling to the ground at the end of a pancake block. Guy had no shot of making the play.
Correct. That should not have been a holding call.
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote: December 27th, 2020, 1:04 pm
LU Grad 11 wrote: December 27th, 2020, 12:21 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 27th, 2020, 8:09 am I'd love to put 2 LU flags on my truck and ride around Conway, SC.

Wore my beat Coastal shirt and Liberty mask all over Myrtle Beach yesterday before the game. :D Go Flames!!!! Awesome game! Love the way Willis represents our school!
In terms of fan turnout did you see more red or teal?
Didn't go to the game. Live near Myrtle Beach.
By rtb72
thepostman wrote: December 27th, 2020, 2:30 pm Ahh ok. For some reason I thought they did a final CFP ranking. I'm not sure why.

So I am sure we will be top 20 in both media and coaches polls but I doubt we jump coastal. We probably should though.
We should certainly jump Coastal...but based on the love affair everyone seems to have for "America's Team", I doubt we get the respect we, deserve.
Liberty22 liked this
By LUAlum1215
Liberty22 wrote: December 27th, 2020, 1:04 pm
LU Grad 11 wrote: December 27th, 2020, 12:21 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 27th, 2020, 8:09 am I'd love to put 2 LU flags on my truck and ride around Conway, SC.

Wore my beat Coastal shirt and Liberty mask all over Myrtle Beach yesterday before the game. :D Go Flames!!!! Awesome game! Love the way Willis represents our school!
In terms of fan turnout did you see more red or teal?
Seemed to be pretty 50/50. The right side was predominantly Flames and the left mostly chicken. But fans were mixed all throughout. I had a few Flames fans behind me and a few Coastal in front but the row to myself.

Fun fact, Coastal fans are not particularly fond of the term "Yard Bird" when referring to the Beach Chickens. Who knew?
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Damien Sordelett wrote: December 27th, 2020, 3:37 pm I’m in the Charlotte airport trying to process exactly how everything unfolded last night. That was a bowl game that will be hard to top over the next couple of weeks.

I talked to Chima Uzowihe this morning. Boy, was he happy. Blocked kicks are starting to become a thing in the rivalry. (Shameless plug for my work.)

https://newsadvance.com/sports/college/ ... op-story-1
I was surprised and happy to see the coverage in the paper today. I thought the game went too late to make it. Congrats.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I kinda feel bad for coastal. Well, their fans at least. I dont feel bad for this team in particular. But the best season they could really feasibly hope for resulted in them having a co-championship, and never having won a bowl game. Is this the pinnacle for them? What more could they do (aside obviously from scoring on that last possession)? You can't really expect to go undefeated again. As an LU fan that learned to use "Liberty" as a verb to do things well 95% of the way only to come away with nothing, I have to empathize.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote: December 27th, 2020, 5:52 pm I kinda feel bad for coastal. Well, their fans at least. I dont feel bad for this team in particular. But the best season they could really feasibly hope for resulted in them having a co-championship, and never having won a bowl game. Is this the pinnacle for them? What more could they do (aside obviously from scoring on that last possession)? You can't really expect to go undefeated again. As an LU fan that learned to use "Liberty" as a verb to do things well 95% of the way only to come away with nothing, I have to empathize.
Nah
flameshaw, jinxy, LUOrange and 2 others liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote: December 27th, 2020, 5:52 pm I kinda feel bad for coastal. Well, their fans at least. I dont feel bad for this team in particular. But the best season they could really feasibly hope for resulted in them having a co-championship, and never having won a bowl game. Is this the pinnacle for them? What more could they do (aside obviously from scoring on that last possession)? You can't really expect to go undefeated again. As an LU fan that learned to use "Liberty" as a verb to do things well 95% of the way only to come away with nothing, I have to empathize.
I just can't get far enough to feel sorry for them at all. They really played dirty most of their season. #94 should have been thrown out of a couple of games. They are crybabies, only equaled by The Tarholes. Fake injuries, like a soccer team. Have been overrated for many, many years. Have a terrible nickname, logo and the ugliest uniforms and field in all of football. IMHO. Finally, they show little to no class, led by their HC.
To be fair, they do have some very good players. Their QB is going to be something very special, he is smart and talented. They also have some good history, on the field, and seem to market themselves pretty well.
I wouldn't trade programs or futures with them for any amount of money.
jinxy, ballcoach15, Liberty22 and 6 others liked this
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My question now is will we see a recruiting bump for the 2022 class and possibly pick up a few more signings for 2021 on National Signing Day as a result of this win?
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: December 27th, 2020, 7:11 pm Do we know if the AP and Coaches’ Polls will be released this week?
Pretty sure only poll update will be the final one, after all the bowl and playoff games.
LU 57 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
BJWilliams wrote: December 27th, 2020, 7:58 pm My question now is will we see a recruiting bump for the 2022 class and possibly pick up a few more signings for 2021 on National Signing Day as a result of this win?
I believe so for both classes. I think we have a few spots left for the 2021 class.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote: December 27th, 2020, 7:58 pm My question now is will we see a recruiting bump for the 2022 class and possibly pick up a few more signings for 2021 on National Signing Day as a result of this win?
Not sure you could ever quantify how many recruits this made an impact on. Winning is never a bad thing though.
By gerb
Kricket wrote: December 27th, 2020, 10:48 pm
Not sure you could ever quantify how many recruits this made an impact on. Winning is never a bad thing though.
Take a look at nearly any football message board and Liberty is being discussed and I don’t mean auburn or the vols. Texas A&M for example has over 100 comments on the LU thread. Being the only college game on tv in prime time on sat night on ESPN 1 was huge. And it was an action packed game that kept viewers. Ratings will be really interesting but the way this game came together created way bigger exposure than we ever could have imagined. And the gap between our win and NY6 gives HCHF the perfect chance to do A list media blitz for the next few days.
Ill flame, ballcoach15 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
    flameshaw wrote: December 27th, 2020, 6:50 pm Have a terrible nickname, logo and the ugliest uniforms and field in all of football. IMHO. Finally, they show little to no class, led by their HC.
    Flameshaw and I don't agree on much, but he speaks the TRUTH here.

I grew up with a guy who also become a professor, and now he teaches part-time at Coastal. He had been trash talking about the LU-Coastal game all season, and when it turned into a bowl game, that made it even better. He was predicting a Coastal blowout, thinking LU's team would be a bunch of "choir boys," and he was shocked that his team never led for a second of the game. LU winning absolutely ruined his Christmas vacation! Crybaby
    ballcoach15, ATrain, Liberty22 and 2 others liked this
    By ballcoach15
    Registration Days Posts
    Cider Jim wrote: December 28th, 2020, 6:32 am
      flameshaw wrote: December 27th, 2020, 6:50 pm Have a terrible nickname, logo and the ugliest uniforms and field in all of football. IMHO. Finally, they show little to no class, led by their HC.
      Flameshaw and I don't agree on much, but he speaks the TRUTH here.

I grew up with a guy who also become a professor, and now he teaches part-time at Coastal. He had been trash talking about the LU-Coastal game all season, and when it turned into a bowl game, that made it even better. He was predicting a Coastal blowout, thinking LU's team would be a bunch of "choir boys," and he was shocked that his team never led for a second of the game. LU winning absolutely ruined his Christmas vacation! Crybaby
      You need to taunt him until 2021 season starts. If I knew someone like that, they would get some LU gear thrown in their yard.
      By thepostman
      Registration Days Posts
      Says the guy who claims to be a huge LU fan and didn't even go to the game when in Florida! :lol:

You did watch the whole game, right @ballcoach15 ?I know it was a bit past your bed time but I sure hope you didn't miss any of that great game!

I've probably re-watched that final play 100 times. What a finish.
      Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just l[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]