If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
This is going to be LU's best team ever, as long as we can stay healthy. Parker is a player and so is Abbi. We may not have the best record ever, but it looks to be the most talented.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Teams get hot against the pack. I still dont get the obsession with mcdowell. If hes making shots he can be a bench guy but hes just not.

Abiis game is just beautiful.
Kricket liked this
By LUDad
Hanging pretty good despite the fact that McGee has thrown a few errant pass on drives, we have missed several front-end of free throws and missed lots of 3 pointers. Plus this may end up being a really good Purdue team with a 7'4 center.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
I was caught off guard. I didn't know the season was starting until this morning.
We definitely have a lot of new faces and a lot of guys playing bigger roles. All things considered, they looked decent. Purdue's shot the ball well from deep and they have some size. I think we'll be okay this season.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
This team can be really really good. Id go less preston and mcdowell (2 for 8 from field and 0 for 1 from ft line) and more shiloh and give jackson a shot at mcdowells minutes.

Mcghee needs to be slightly more selective and abii is obviously another go to guy and plays great.

Parker is a nice piece that will score more against lesser teams.

Even further, next year with peebles and venzant and wow.
Kricket liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:43 pm This team can be really really good. Id go less preston and mcdowell (2 for 8 from field and 0 for 1 from ft line) and more shiloh and give jackson a shot at mcdowells minutes.

Mcghee needs to be slightly more selective and abii is obviously another go to guy and plays great.

Jackson is out with some sort of mystery injury. Based on what Ritchie has said about how well he had been shooting, I expect he will be very much in the rotation once he is healthy.

As far as McDowell is concerned, yeah, he had a poor game shooting the ball, but I have to chuckle at jumping to the conclusion that someone else should be getting those minutes after one game. Ritchie sees him in practice every day, and he trusted him for 27 minutes tonight and he was the leading rebounder. A bit surprised not to see more of Shiloh, but I'm sure there are reasons.
Last edited by olldflame on November 25th, 2020, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Abii is the truth. He’s like Myo with less of a handle and a better jumper. Very confident in his first college game against a big time opponent too. We will see who emerges in the next few games, but we need scorers. I wish Cuffee could be a consistent offensive asset, but aside from McGhee, Rhode, and Abii, I saw very little tonight. I was also surprised to see how much run Keegan got. I wonder if that has to do with him knowing the system more than some of the newbies.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:21 pm Abii is the truth. He’s like Myo with less of a handle and a better jumper. Very confident in his first college game against a big time opponent too. We will see who emerges in the next few games, but we need scorers. I wish Cuffee could be a consistent offensive asset, but aside from McGhee, Rhode, and Abii, I saw very little tonight. I was also surprised to see how much run Keegan got. I wonder if that has to do with him knowing the system more than some of the newbies.
That and the fact that Jackson was not available. He will give us another excellent shooting option. Keegan knows the system as well as anyone we have except Cuff and Darius, and he is a much better shooter than he showed tonight.
stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I thought Dobbs would play more considering how early he went in. McKay must have seen something he didn’t like because he only came back in during garbage time.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Im not basing it just on tonight. I just have never seen it from him. But i dont want to beat up on one kid.

Curious to see jackson and warfield.
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:43 pm This team can be really really good. Id go less preston and mcdowell (2 for 8 from field and 0 for 1 from ft line) and more shiloh and give jackson a shot at mcdowells minutes.

I agree with all of this. It's not just from one game's analysis either.
jinxy liked this
By Class of 20Something
So exciting to see that performance without exhibition games too. This is the worst we look this year and we did it against Purdue. Purdue also hit the Achilles of the Packline. Purdue was absolutely lights out from three for most of the game. They finished 50% but we're 8-10 at one point. Hitting threes will always stress the limits of the Packline. It's a low percentage shot and it's acceptable to let teams take bad shots than good ones.

Similar to football, RMK makes up for a Hugh talent gap. I don't think any of us would argue we would have been within 25 if we didn't have the Packline here.
stokesjokes liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 26th, 2020, 6:28 am Clemson beats Mississippi State 53-42.
(a football score)
Bodes well for Game 2. That’s our game.

I predict Purdue beats Clemson worse than they beat us. Clemson didn’t look that great IMO.

How Brownell still has a job at Clemson is beyond me. He’s gotta have naked pictures of someone important.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I have family history with Purdue so my phone was alight. Solid game. But I nearly wept because I saw something that’s been missing for a long time. A true low post game. Purdue is known for their big men going back to Joe Berry Carrol, Jim Rowinski Jeff Arnold Steve Scheffler just to name a few :D But that freshman....wow. Great footwork. Nice feel around the rim. I felt the nostalgia
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Actually the pack did next to nothing against them. The 7 footer and 3 shooting beats the pack all day long. The talent level is way up and thats why it was competitive. If the d actually had much impact its a super tight game.

Too early and too many new pieces to expect too much more against such a good team.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: November 26th, 2020, 12:25 pm Actually the pack did next to nothing against them. The 7 footer and 3 shooting beats the pack all day long. The talent level is way up and thats why it was competitive. If the d actually had much impact its a super tight game.

Too early and too many new pieces to expect too much more against such a good team.
Too many new pieces for the pack line to operate optimally. This should improve as the season progresses.

Looking at the box score, one thing stood out to me in the +/- category. Abii was +9 in 19 minutes (our only player on the plus side) and Preston was -20 in just 13. :shock: Other than being 0-3 at the line, I don't think Preston was that bad at the offensive end. The problem obviously was on defense, and that is why he did not play last year, and why we wil likely see less of him and more of Robinson and Abii at least in the near term.
By jyoung9
I was super unimpressed with Keegan, Cuffee, and Preston last night. Mcghee had to do too much.

I agree that overall it was encouraging, especially with the kids playing as well as they did. These new guys are just on a different level than recruits from a few years ago.

I'd like to see way more Warfield and way less Keegan, and I guess a little more Shiloh and less Preston? I didn't think Shiloh looked good either.

This team could be really good 25 or 30 games from now. Play Basketball
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]