Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUOrange
I thought we should've contracted to play BYU and UVA this year. Playing them on top of Syracuse, Tech, that dirty team in Raleigh, and now Coastal would've been more memorable for the fans and players and beneficial to the program long term than any low rung bowl game we may end up with. I agree, we probably won't add BYU this month, but I'd love to see it happen. I think playing 12 and a Bowl game in this awful year would be an accomplishment all to itself.
chris leedlelee liked this
How do "travel partners" work when you are 5 hours and 270 miles apart? :dontgetit
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: November 25th, 2020, 7:50 am How do "travel partners" work when you are 5 hours and 270 miles apart? :dontgetit
Obviously it’s not next door, but it’s all relative. WVU is on average over 1,100 miles away from everyone else. Once you’ve done 1,100, suddenly 270 does feel close.
ballcoach15 wrote: November 24th, 2020, 11:17 am As long as NMS, UConn and UMass are FBS, I say play them. At this juncture, it isn't so much as who we play, but whether we win or lose. What we need now is a win over a SEC school.

many schools do get fat off cupcakes. (see Big 10 Conference football)
I am OK with these 3 Independent schools but not 3 in one year. Having UConn, UMass, and NSM back to back in 2023 is a terrible way to end the season and leaves too weak of a schedule.
ballcoach15 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:35 am If Liberty were to join B12, it would give the conference a footprint in ACC territory .
Using a military term, " Normally it's always good to make advancements into enemy territory."
Sports is not the same as war.
Other conferences are not enemies.

WVU has not been a fit in the Big 12 from day one. Adding one more team that's a bit closer doesn't solve the problem.
Ill flame wrote: November 25th, 2020, 12:44 pm The idea of a "travel partner" has always been ridiculous to me. It's not like we would be picking up west virginia at the airport on our way to texas. Two wrongs don't make it right in this situation.
It's a total misnomer. All it means is that you have 2 schools close together so it's more convenient and cheaper for a more distant school to schedule them back to back without returning to campus. Classic example was Coastal and Chuck South in the BSC, where we played them on a TH-Sat or Sat-M. We were combined with either Radford or Longwood. It really only works for basketball.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 11th, 2015, 7:12 pm
Sly Fox wrote:FCS is dying quickly around us. Frankly FBS Independent status is growing on me everyday. We need to get out at all costs. Pronto. I honestly believe a path to FBS status outside of the current restrictions is coming in the next 12 months. We're not the only one in this predicament.

And you don't have to be a member of the Dark Side to want to win where we are now. Battling to find any place that we can find in FBS and success at FCS are not mutally exclusive as some in this thread pride themselves in pontificating.
So you are saying that the barriers to being FBS Independent are going to be lifted? If that is the case I would want to take a long hard look at who else is going to make that jump before I come off my complete objection to it.
You also do a good job twisting what people are saying. You have it exactly backwards. No one said anything about mutual exclusivity. The arguments are thus

:flamingdevil - Continuing to build our program and facilities so we are successful and have great facilities in FCS will make us more desirable to FBS Conferences

:koolaid - If we build really top notch facilities we will get FBS looks and success will follow.
By tyndal23
This board has turned over every possible rock regarding a P5 Conference invite from either joining G5 or staying Independent G5 and frankly it just isn’t there. Presidents vote - we won’t get in for many reasons. That is wishful thinking and leaves control of our destiny in other peoples hands. We CAN become a P5 Equivalent if we choose and we can also become a regular 4-6 game ACC opponent with 1 for 1 games - if we choose. I won’t lay out my plan again - but the sooner we announce we want to be P5level and never utter the words “G5 Elite” again from our leadership - the better. This season already should show how quick it is to elevate to whatever “ G5 Elite “ is. Announce it, budget and start scheduling for it now...
Liberty22 liked this
How many teams has LU played this year with a winning record?
How many teams has LU beat this year with a winning record?
TallyW wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:35 pm
Purple Haize wrote: August 11th, 2015, 7:12 pm
Sly Fox wrote:FCS is dying quickly around us. Frankly FBS Independent status is growing on me everyday. We need to get out at all costs. Pronto. I honestly believe a path to FBS status outside of the current restrictions is coming in the next 12 months. We're not the only one in this predicament.

And you don't have to be a member of the Dark Side to want to win where we are now. Battling to find any place that we can find in FBS and success at FCS are not mutally exclusive as some in this thread pride themselves in pontificating.
So you are saying that the barriers to being FBS Independent are going to be lifted? If that is the case I would want to take a long hard look at who else is going to make that jump before I come off my complete objection to it.
You also do a good job twisting what people are saying. You have it exactly backwards. No one said anything about mutual exclusivity. The arguments are thus

:flamingdevil - Continuing to build our program and facilities so we are successful and have great facilities in FCS will make us more desirable to FBS Conferences

:koolaid - If we build really top notch facilities we will get FBS looks and success will follow.
Ouch. 8)
tyndal23 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 10:05 pm This board has turned over every possible rock regarding a P5 Conference invite from either joining G5 or staying Independent G5 and frankly it just isn’t there. Presidents vote - we won’t get in for many reasons. That is wishful thinking and leaves control of our destiny in other peoples hands. We CAN become a P5 Equivalent if we choose and we can also become a regular 4-6 game ACC opponent with 1 for 1 games - if we choose. I won’t lay out my plan again - but the sooner we announce we want to be P5level and never utter the words “G5 Elite” again from our leadership - the better. This season already should show how quick it is to elevate to whatever “ G5 Elite “ is. Announce it, budget and start scheduling for it now...
I would argue striving to become a "G5 Elite" in the short term isn't a bad thing. It's already been said but being among the G5 elite has been the safest path to a P5 conference in recent history. I would argue we still have work to do if we want to be one of the top non P5 programs. Especially when it comes to fan support.

Also what would we do with the rest of our sports in the long term if we are "P5 equivalent"?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
There’s more to becoming P5 equivalent than LU simply choosing to be so. And that more is not in LU’s hands. So to that extent, LU is not entirely in control of its own destiny.

I wouldn’t budge if not for an AAC or P5 invite. But I feel for all the other sports that are stuck.
JK37 wrote: November 26th, 2020, 9:23 am There’s more to becoming P5 equivalent than LU simply choosing to be so. And that more is not in LU’s hands. So to that extent, LU is not entirely in control of its own destiny.

I wouldn’t budge if not for an AAC or P5 invite. But I feel for all the other sports that are stuck.
You can just Name It and Claim It!

I’m with you as well. Although I might look at a CUSA invite as well. Outside of that I don’t see an advantage of jumping into a Conference. Conversely I think LU would be a good fit in the AAC or CUSA
C-USA looks like a trap; I wouldn't take that invite especially with what occurred a few years ago. I know we need to leave the A-SUN in order to grow the brand, but I think C-USA will continue to deteriorate as a conference moving forward. AAC is basically a step forward at this point. Of course, I could be wrong with my perspective.
sstaedtler liked this
cruzan_flame13 wrote: November 26th, 2020, 12:36 pm C-USA looks like a trap; I wouldn't take that invite especially with what occurred a few years ago. I know we need to leave the A-SUN in order to grow the brand, but I think C-USA will continue to deteriorate as a conference moving forward. AAC is basically a step forward at this point. Of course, I could be wrong with my perspective.
That’s why I said to take a look at it CUSA has really good regional appeal with Marshall (even though they are basically a JUCO :D ) ODU Charlotte etc. So for all sports it *seems* like a good fit. If one or 2 more teams were added then it could be a better fit.
I was looking at our open dates in 2025 and 2026 and then some other teams schedules. Some teams schedules are already filled. We definitely need some hard teams, especially in 2026. Here are some teams that would fit our schedule.

Both 2025 and 2026 - BYU, UCF, SMU, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt, Louisiana Tech, Tennessee, Louisiana, TCU. Navy, Rutgers, Arkansas State

9/12/26 - Memphis
9/19/26 - Miami
9/12/26 - Boston College
9/12/26 - App. State
9/12/26 or 9/19/26 - Notre Dame
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]