Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Not a fan of pulling miguel jacksons offer. I get this senior thing is weird and we dont know how its gonna play out but he was a great fit and had a lot of talent. I also prefer to keep upgrading talent and bringing in younger guys and push some of the older guys that arent playing on through

Hope it all shakes out but losing him and ahmad walker has taken a lot of shine off the class.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 6:34 pm Not a fan of pulling miguel jacksons offer. I get this senior thing is weird and we dont know how its gonna play out but he was a great fit and had a lot of talent. I also prefer to keep upgrading talent and bringing in younger guys and push some of the older guys that arent playing on through

Hope it all shakes out but losing him and ahmad walker has taken a lot of shine off the class.
Between the commitment from Zachary and the fact that with the Covid eligibility freeze we have 6 returning edge rushers with eligibility remaining (Sanders 1 year, Johnson 2 , Clark 3 Sings, Washington, and Whitehead 4) I think they may have decided it is no longer a position of need.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I think jackson was going to be a tackle where were not nearly as deep. Both rusins and james are expected to get nfl looks. Chibueze is coming on big time and elisha mitchell will be back but hes more of a role player. Guess that leaves kendy charles and micaiah overton to develop plus chris boti.

Jackson was already 265. Gonna be hard tonstay at De at that size.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Bingo. Exactly what i had heard. Thats just a bad look and a great way to kill future recruiting connections. We will never get another kid from that area after this.

I totally get how crazy this is but hes gonna be a good player that wanted to be here. Feels like we have enough schollies left to make it work. Hopefully the messy part of this is over for us.

I hope this isnt true but it concerns me that freeze is going all in on next year at the detriment of the future. Then if he leaves we will have a slew of holes to fill. Again too early to tell until we see what we do with the rest of the schollies.
ballah09, sstaedtler liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 12:06 pm I hope this isnt true but it concerns me that freeze is going all in on next year at the detriment of the future. Then if he leaves we will have a slew of holes to fill.
Maybe??? Kinda seems that way. Optimistically we can hope that loading up for next year, and winning, will have a big enough impact to get a few recruits that will have an immediate impact as freshman to fill any voids created.

But more realistically it does seem like we are creating future issues with depth that will be hard for Freeze (or more likely the next guy) to handle.
By willflop
The fact that it's not just the seniors that are awarded an extra year, but that the entire roster can play as sixth year seniors (or 5th year if they don't redshirt at some pint), is what makes it especially challenging. Plus, exceeding the 85 scholarships is only approved for next year. Assuming everyone wanted to utilize their covid bonus, we could skip this entire recruiting class and not have any holes (not speaking of missed talent) down the line, unless I'm missing something. Someone at some point is going to have their scholarship cut to stay within 85, either someone already here or the incoming freshman class before they sign. I don't see a good answer, but I could see an argument for being loyal to those that have already signed vs. those that still have time to find another team.
Risewithus liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 12:06 pm Bingo. Exactly what i had heard. Thats just a bad look and a great way to kill future recruiting connections. We will never get another kid from that area after this.

I totally get how crazy this is but hes gonna be a good player that wanted to be here. Feels like we have enough schollies left to make it work. Hopefully the messy part of this is over for us.

I hope this isnt true but it concerns me that freeze is going all in on next year at the detriment of the future. Then if he leaves we will have a slew of holes to fill. Again too early to tell until we see what we do with the rest of the schollies.
Absolutely right. They probably did it to Hill too. Freeze and Co just killed any connections they had in Western and Central PA.
By willflop
ballah09 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 12:57 pm With all the offers going to Grad Transfers this year, he's going all in. He's basically skipping a would be freshmen class. Yeah we will be really good next year but there's going to be so many holes 2-3 years from now.
But, what about the fact that this year's 2020 freshman class are all effectively true freshman next year? We brought in several higher rated DEs in Sings and Whitehead, and then we have our top ESPN 300 DE in the 2021 class. Seems really crowded.
Risewithus liked this
If coaches are willing to:

1. Admit this was due to the pandemic and not performance related; and
2. Still publicly trash the school;

then it’s not going to kill future recruiting areas.

They took this personal when it absolutely wasn’t personal at all.

And I don’t see Freeze going all in on grad transfers. With the one-time transfer rule coming likely this year, he can get transfers from any class who can play next year. I’d rather have a 19-year-old four star who knows what it takes to be successful in a college program with 3-4 years of eligibility left than an unknown 3-star coming out of high school.

This kid got screwed by the rules of the game changing, not by Liberty.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Additionally, the article suggests we’re still getting a teammate. It’s not going to kill recruiting simply because of one player. The coach is trying to put a good spin on it for a kid he loves, as he should, but he probably shouldn’t have given the interview while he was upset.

Watching a series about Saint Frances High called “The Cost Of Winning” and they had a similar situation with a 4-star Demon Clowney who ended up at Ole Miss after having lost his verbal with LSU.

It unfortunately happens.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
This is not going to be exclusive to LU. Many, many schools are going to be doing the same thing. It is due to the decision by the NCAA to give everyone an additional year of eligibility.
It is going to cause some bad feelings for all schools, but it won't necessarily hurt recruiting. The world of NCAA football slots juts grew 25% potentially.
Maybe they will allow a school to carry more than 85 scholarship players? Maybe they have already done it? But still, this is going to change the needs at all universities.
This is not going to be exclusive to LU. Many, many schools are going to be doing the same thing. It is due to the decision by the NCAA to give everyone an additional year of eligibility.
It is going to cause some bad feelings for all schools, but it won't necessarily hurt recruiting. The world of NCAA football slots juts grew 25% potentially.
Maybe they will allow a school to carry more than 85 scholarship players? Maybe they have already done it? But still, this is going to change the needs at all universities.[/quote]

Exactly. We are reading this from an LU impact bubble. This is happening everywhere, in every mid to large program. Whether we like it or not. These kids are pawns on a college football chess board. Moves and counter moves.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:33 pm The only way the NCAA can remedy this is if they extend the excess scholarship allowance for 4 total classes. Without that, you're going to have probably 15-20 people have scholarships recinded or not extended.
I don't think that is practical for a lot of schools, but just expanding it for 1 year and then going back to 85 is a dumpster fire. What they need to do is reduce the limit incrementally over the next few years til it is back at 85.
jinxy liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:38 pm I think jackson was going to be a tackle where were not nearly as deep. Both rusins and james are expected to get nfl looks. Chibueze is coming on big time and elisha mitchell will be back but hes more of a role player. Guess that leaves kendy charles and micaiah overton to develop plus chris boti.

Jackson was already 265. Gonna be hard tonstay at De at that size.
You left out Austin Lewis, William Green, Mason Wolk and Karsen Perkins who all are interior d-linemen on the current roster. Based on that article, it looks like both Rusens and James will be back. We have depth at all DL positions, and can focus on quality over quantity in this recruiting class. Boti and Zachary fit that bill IMHO.
olldflame wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 3:15 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:33 pm The only way the NCAA can remedy this is if they extend the excess scholarship allowance for 4 total classes. Without that, you're going to have probably 15-20 people have scholarships recinded or not extended.
I don't think that is practical for a lot of schools, but just expanding it for 1 year and then going back to 85 is a dumpster fire. What they need to do is reduce the limit incrementally over the next few years til it is back at 85.
An incremental reduction keeps the same problem if your true freshmen decide to stay true freshmen.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jmclaughlin wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 3:06 pm This is not going to be exclusive to LU. Many, many schools are going to be doing the same thing. It is due to the decision by the NCAA to give everyone an additional year of eligibility.
Maybe they will allow a school to carry more than 85 scholarship players? Maybe they have already done it? But still, this is going to change the needs at all universities.
Exactly. We are reading this from an LU impact bubble. This is happening everywhere, in every mid to large program. Whether we like it or not. These kids are pawns on a college football chess board. Moves and counter moves.
[/quote]

Much like colleges are pawns on a chess board for players, until the LOI is officially signed. That road goes both ways, as we know all too well.
jmclaughlin liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]