If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ASOR Forums Admin
Posts Custom
In what has been a time of transition for our school, the rise of Malik Willis has come at just the right time. Or so the News and Advance argues.

Positive press is welcomed right now and will continue at a whole new level if we beat Tech in 2 weeks. Willis will continue to gain attention and he deserves his own appreciation thread. I think we can all agree, positive press is very much welcomed right now. Especially within the Lynchburg community.

After Further Review: The quarterback Liberty needed
By: Ben Cates

Rarely in its 47-year football history has Liberty University seen a quarterback like Malik Willis.

He’s a departure from the norm, a speedy and savvy dual-threat athlete who has brought swagger to his position, a full-steam-ahead leader who is at least partly responsible for his school suddenly receiving national attention from the outside sports world.

In short, Willis is the quarterback Liberty needed. And whether or not you believe in divine providence like the folks on the mountain, it’s obvious the 6-foot-1 redshirt junior came along at just the right time.
chris leedlelee liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I knew he would be an athlete but I have been pleasantly surprised with how quickly he has become a leader the other guys obviously love to play with. He seems to be already better than buckshot was at making the right reads and decisions. I wish he had more than 1-2 more seasons left with us.
By cruzan_flame13
flamehunter wrote: October 26th, 2020, 3:01 pm I knew he would be an athlete but I have been pleasantly surprised with how quickly he has become a leader the other guys obviously love to play with. He seems to be already better than buckshot was at making the right reads and decisions. I wish he had more than 1-2 more seasons left with us.
He probably could if they do not include this season for anathletic eligibility or he wants to go to grad school.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 3:10 pm
flamehunter wrote: October 26th, 2020, 3:01 pm I knew he would be an athlete but I have been pleasantly surprised with how quickly he has become a leader the other guys obviously love to play with. He seems to be already better than buckshot was at making the right reads and decisions. I wish he had more than 1-2 more seasons left with us.
He probably could if they do not include this season for anathletic eligibility or he wants to go to grad school.
He will have 2 years of eligibility after this season because of the freeze. Whether he stays that long will probably depend on his potential NFL draft status.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I would change "rarely" to "never." MW is the best QB by far to ever play at LU. No one is even close really. He passes a lot better than I thought he would. Hope he stays two more years. 8) 8)
ballcoach15 liked this
By jweaks
I don't think he is an NFL QB at this point, but he could become one. That said, many NFL teams are desperate for mobile playmakers at QB and a season like the one he's having now is surely getting some attention.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jweaks wrote: October 26th, 2020, 4:27 pm I don't think he is an NFL QB at this point, but he could become one. That said, many NFL teams are desperate for mobile playmakers at QB and a season like the one he's having now is surely getting some attention.
I also believe he has NFL potential. There are a lot of QB's with his type of talent that teams are now looking for. The smaller, quick QB's seem to be in vogue.
He just needs to be "coached up" for a couple more years. 8) :lol:
By LUDad
Two more years under this coaching staff and he will become another Russell Wilson. He is 2" shorter than average NFL QB but he is 2 "taller than Wilson.
By Dalegarz1
I was pleasantly surprised with his accuracy against S.Miss. I know that was a concern during camp and the coaching staff has been working hard on his footwork and release. Obviously, he played an outstanding game on Saturday-but not perfect. There were two or three times when he hung on to the ball too long. I would have liked to see him take off and run a little earlier. I don't mean to be nitpicking but there's always room for improvement.
chris leedlelee liked this
By LibertyD
Postives:

Dual-threat capability
Elusive runner
Good speed
Good decision making in the passing game
Good completion percentage
Good receivers to throw to
Seems to be humble

Criticisms:

Runs more than he should- RBs need to get in running rythm or he will no longer be a dual threat. Just key on him.
Wet-ball throwing issues
Decision making in the RPO run game - he has 3 good RBs (2 seniors) he pulls the ball more than he should, with the exception of Syracuse. If the RBs don't eat, its going to be a long second half of the season against better competition.
Does not secure the ball well when running in open field. 3+ fumbles that could have changed the outcome of games.
Tends to hold the ball too long at crucial times in passing situations
Lower-level competition

All things things are fixable!

NFL potential...not under current conditions...another year under this system...increased chances...will he stay another year or transfer to a P5 school for better exposure? Remains to be seen!
By LUOrange
I don't think Willis is going anywhere. He seems to be a really good, classy kid who is who we want to represent us. Also, the knock on him was his passing accuracy and obviously, Freeze and Austin have helped him tremendously. The real question is does he stay for a 3rd year? I think probably not, he'll have the NFL calling him in 2022.

But I've said this before, imagine what Freeze and Austin could've done with another year with Buckshot.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
We'll see how this season finishes out. But right now, Willis looks like an NFL QB to me. Terrific playmaker. Accurate passer. Tough runner. Cool under pressure. Shows up in the clutch. Decisive. Smart. Plays with heart. Also, has a much quicker release than most athletic QBs. Did I miss something?

Yeah, I don't see him moving on next year? Why would he? He's in an ideal position to build on his future.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: October 27th, 2020, 9:52 pm I don't think Willis is going anywhere. He seems to be a really good, classy kid who is who we want to represent us. Also, the knock on him was his passing accuracy and obviously, Freeze and Austin have helped him tremendously. The real question is does he stay for a 3rd year? I think probably not, he'll have the NFL calling him in 2022.

But I've said this before, imagine what Freeze and Austin could've done with another year with Buckshot.
Buckshot would have continued to improve, but IMHO Daley had already done too much damage for him to ever realize his full potential.
flamehunter, LUOrange liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: November 8th, 2020, 6:22 pm
LUOrange wrote: October 27th, 2020, 9:52 pm I don't think Willis is going anywhere. He seems to be a really good, classy kid who is who we want to represent us. Also, the knock on him was his passing accuracy and obviously, Freeze and Austin have helped him tremendously. The real question is does he stay for a 3rd year? I think probably not, he'll have the NFL calling him in 2022.

Buckshot would have continued to improve, but IMHO Daley had already done too much damage for him to ever realize his full potential.
Buckshot was a good QB, but MW is light years ahead of where he was. MW probably has NFL potential, especially the way the game is being played today. I would love to see him get a shot. You know he is going to continue to improve the rest of this year and next. He is going to have to learn how to hold onto that ball. Glad he is playing for us.
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If you haven't listened to the post-game interviews of Willis and our kicker, you should: both men are humble, soft-spoken Christians giving glory to God in a very genuine way. And especially with our kicker, he sounds like he is giving his testimony.
ballcoach15, TH Spangler, olldflame and 4 others liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: November 9th, 2020, 8:27 am If you haven't listened to the post-game interviews of Willis and our kicker, you should: both men are humble, soft-spoken Christians giving glory to God in a very genuine way. And especially with our kicker, he sounds like he is giving his testimony.
Sister and I watched them yesterday, we're blessed to have these guys playing for us!
cruzan_flame13, olldflame, LU 57 and 3 others liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
And, for the record, Ballcoach, both are TRANSFERS.
ballcoach15 liked this
By LUOrange
I listened to Barbir and Malik's interviews last night, and I was very proud of both of them. Barbir might of even had this big fat guy tearing up some. I'll also add, that Malik has spoken that way all season. Both of them, and I'm sure most of our team is that way, are awesome representatives of our school.
flameshaw, LU 57 liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Just want to post these projected stats for Malik IF he were to average the same passing, rushing and TD numbers the rest of the way.

Passing: 2453 yards with 22 TD's and 2 Int's (67% completion).

Rushing: 1100 yards with 12 TD's

Again this would be with only 11 games played this season, which includes the bowl game.

I also found this interesting when it comes to comparing Buckshot and Malik:
(ONLY P5 GAME STATS FROM LAST YEAR TO THIS YEAR):

Buck vs P5: 48.7% completion; 228 yds per game; 3TD's passing to 3 INT's and 0-3 record.

Willis vs P5: 73.4% completion; 283 yds per game; 4 TD's passing to 0 INT's and 2 rushing TD's and 2-0 record.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]