This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

This is from the new Rolling Stone article that came out today:

In the wake of his lucrative exit, Liberty announced it was hiring a top forensic firm to investigate Falwell’s tenure as president, specifying that this would include “financial, real estate, and legal matters.” (Like Falwell himself, the university refused to answer any questions for this story — including whether Falwell’s family members, such as Trey, will retain their jobs.) The trustees said they would select a committee in October to begin the search for a new leader. Meanwhile, the acting president is Jerry Prevo, who’d been chairing Liberty’s board.
Source
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: October 19th, 2020, 10:30 am
prototype wrote: October 19th, 2020, 8:36 am In my opinion they will take the Interim tag off of Prevo and let him be President for a few years. I think they want things to settle a bit and not make a rash decision for the next president. Prevo has already come in and removed some of the unqualified, overpaid, positions, but IMO still has to remove some of the others that have been put in key positions because of their last name. I would still love to see some of the old talent come back to the University. Hartless, Peterson, Zealand, etc... I think it would be hard to convince them to come back, but they all still are living here (working remote for other institutions).

The University is in great shape. The infrastructure is there. The quality of kid is there. We have to pay faculty better, grow our diversity and get past this stupid COVID thing, and we will be back on track again.
Speaking of unqualified and overpaid, there is still the elephant on the mountain in the skinny jeans. Until he is gone, most of the rest is window dressing. He is the biggest blowhard/fake since Jim Bakker and the Piano Man, Swaggert. IMHO.
I am ok with removing the entire F clan and extended family members, except for TF. He actually works hard, is not overpaid and the best ambassador that LU has ever had, except for the Big Guy himself. He is the best ROI we have on the mountain. Responsible for tremendous amount of great students and athletes coming to LU. That is undeniable.
10000% agree with this post.
ballcoach15 liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 19th, 2020, 12:43 pm Have all the Falwell’s been removed? Have all the people they’ve hired to hanger on jobs been fired?
Not that I have heard. That's the biggest issue I have. Super shocked this hasn't happened yet. I have to believe this will happen in time - maybe they are trying to be fair and do their own evaluation first.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:30 pm
Purple Haize wrote: October 19th, 2020, 12:43 pm Have all the Falwell’s been removed? Have all the people they’ve hired to hanger on jobs been fired?
Not that I have heard. That's the biggest issue I have. Super shocked this hasn't happened yet. I have to believe this will happen in time - maybe they are trying to be fair and do their own evaluation first.
One doesn't have to be fair or evaluate Trey's situation, or several others. The only thing that qualified Trey for his "job" was his relationship with the previous chancellor/president. Big hat, no cattle. (Along with several other VP's on that list).
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:30 pm
Keeping Prevo around is par for the course for Liberty. The only folks I'd keep are the faculty. There are plenty of solid options at schools around the US and the longer this takes the more problems liberty will have remaining relevant. Fact is, most of the old "talent" came out of the homegrown farm system the Falwell family has created over the years. Several years ago, I questioned our direction and referenced ORU. If the board doesn't handle this appropriately, we might be heading ORU's direction.
Purple Haize, Just John liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
At this point, they should be focusing on the customer (people who pay tuition). Nobody really cares who the college president is. Keep it low key.

Political engagement needs to more measured. And if they go in that direction again, it shouldn't be the LU president. If there's a legitimate need for that, then rebrand Falkirk. Rename it something like the Wilberforce Center for Public Engagement at LU. Get a real communicator out there who Liberty can be proud of. Someone who makes LU look good. Jenna Ellis, Director of the Wilberforce center at LU--so, there you have it. Feel free to pile on.

By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I will say this once again to the "everyone must go" crowd. McFarland is your guy to keep on the BOT and lead us out the other side. Prevo is a somewhat of a Jerry guy but Pastor McFarland is his own man. Rally around him and let him reform the BOT. He love the Lord, loves the best parts of what make's LU great and he and his children have been some of the most vocal of those that have tried to "reform from within".
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote: November 1st, 2020, 11:04 pm I will say this once again to the "everyone must go" crowd. McFarland is your guy to keep on the BOT and lead us out the other side. Prevo is a somewhat of a Jerry guy but Pastor McFarland is his own man. Rally around him and let him reform the BOT. He love the Lord, loves the best parts of what make's LU great and he and his children have been some of the most vocal of those that have tried to "reform from within".
Don’t know him. But if he is as you say he needs to step up now and be the rallying point you describe or he needs to step aside
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Not a fan of the pastor thing at all. Bring a legit balanced leadership person in. And keep 'em out of the spotlight.

As far as the extended leadership team goes, Ian and Turner are a good start. Build on that.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 8:58 am
ALAFlamesFan wrote: November 1st, 2020, 11:04 pm I will say this once again to the "everyone must go" crowd. McFarland is your guy to keep on the BOT and lead us out the other side. Prevo is a somewhat of a Jerry guy but Pastor McFarland is his own man. Rally around him and let him reform the BOT. He love the Lord, loves the best parts of what make's LU great and he and his children have been some of the most vocal of those that have tried to "reform from within".
Don’t know him. But if he is as you say he needs to step up now and be the rallying point you describe or he needs to step aside
McFarland is not the guy we want in either leadership position from what I have heard.
A year to find a replacement/job descriptions? Insane.
I am about to change my mind about the entire board being forced to resign.
Jonathon will be the New Chancellor. 90%
Nasser needs to go.
Last edited by flameshaw on November 2nd, 2020, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
He doesn't meet the qualifications to be president as laid out by the board. He would meet the Chancellor qualifications but I have zero interest in that.

Doesn't look like he is interested either.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
So, you're telling me there's no truth to the rumor that Graham is the next chancellor? And some guy named Jonathon Falwell going down to Charlotte to be the next Billy Graham isn't real either? Thought that was a done deal.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

When you have a chance to pick up a talent like th[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]