This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 29th, 2020, 4:51 pm As I read this I kept coming back to this thought. If Jerry Falwell Jr was truly repentant over his own sin and was working on his sanctification then none of this would be going on. For his sake and the church where he is a member, I hope church discipline is pursued if it already has not. I hurt for his soul and how all this has affected his relationship with Becki, their kids and his family. This lawsuit is nothing more than selfishness and pride.
Jr. doesn't go to church anywhere. Hasn't for years.
By puttincomputers
Registration Days Posts
Haha! Why am I not surprised Jerry is now suing the school. Oh, and that whole bit about him not being able to get a job as a commentator now that he is not associated with the school? Well, it looks to me that Jerry just admitted that LU violated IRS non-profit rules while he was there.

Btw, I haven't seen how much Jerry is suing for?

If LU gets hit with a huge fine, and Jerry wins, the school is probably done. If it gets really bad and the school is proven to have acted in a fraudulent manner, maybe alumni and current students cant get their student loan money back?

Check out what happened with ITT Technical Institute, Sanford–Brown, and Westwood Colleges.

I don't think many here have actually thought through the ramifications of all this yet...
flameshaw wrote: October 29th, 2020, 10:24 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 29th, 2020, 4:51 pm As I read this I kept coming back to this thought. If Jerry Falwell Jr was truly repentant over his own sin and was working on his sanctification then none of this would be going on. For his sake and the church where he is a member, I hope church discipline is pursued if it already has not. I hurt for his soul and how all this has affected his relationship with Becki, their kids and his family. This lawsuit is nothing more than selfishness and pride.
This is a mute point for Jerry Jr but the moment he stopped going to church faithfully they should have suspended him as president for a designated amount of time plus designated spiritual council. This grieves my heart tremendously because his unrepentant actions are that of someone who has never been changed by the Gospel.
flameshaw liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
puttincomputers wrote:Haha! Why am I not surprised Jerry is now suing the school. Oh, and that whole bit about him not being able to get a job as a commentator now that he is not associated with the school? Well, it looks to me that Jerry just admitted that LU violated IRS non-profit rules while he was there.

Btw, I haven't seen how much Jerry is suing for?

If LU gets hit with a huge fine, and Jerry wins, the school is probably done. If it gets really bad and the school is proven to have acted in a fraudulent manner, maybe alumni and current students cant get their student loan money back?

Check out what happened with ITT Technical Institute, Sanford–Brown, and Westwood Colleges.

I don't think many here have actually thought through the ramifications of all this yet...
This sounds more like your personal wishes.
thepostman, Liberty22, Kricket and 1 others liked this
By puttincomputers
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 30th, 2020, 7:07 am There’s no way a fine and a settlement sink the school. As it stands right now, the university could operate for 17 years without a penny in income.
Ahem... "A fine and a settlement" invalidates the "as it stands right now" part of your argument. It is quite likely that Jerry wrote himself a very nice sweetheart deal. If I were LU, I would bring up the conflicts of interest in this case.
By Jonathan Carone
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 30th, 2020, 9:51 am
This is a mute point for Jerry Jr but the moment he stopped going to church faithfully they should have suspended him as president for a designated amount of time plus designated spiritual council. This grieves my heart tremendously because his unrepentant actions are that of someone who has never been changed by the Gospel.
Be careful saying that around here. I posed the question and was ripped apart for it.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
puttincomputers wrote: October 30th, 2020, 4:13 pm
stokesjokes wrote: October 30th, 2020, 7:07 am There’s no way a fine and a settlement sink the school. As it stands right now, the university could operate for 17 years without a penny in income.
Ahem... "A fine and a settlement" invalidates the "as it stands right now" part of your argument. It is quite likely that Jerry wrote himself a very nice sweetheart deal. If I were LU, I would bring up the conflicts of interest in this case.
My point is that they have stacks of cash. It’s not like the settlement or fine will be billions of dollars.
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 30th, 2020, 4:37 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 30th, 2020, 9:51 am

Be careful saying that around here. I posed the question and was ripped apart for it.
I for one was very thankful you brought that question up brother. It needs to be addressed not from a legalistic mindset but simply from a mindset of caring for each other's souls and holding one another accountable in our walks with Christ.
Jonathan Carone, jinxy liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Just wondering what all of this is about? Almost seems like lawyers on both sides working out a divorce. All these sqabbles about money, land, and wrongdoings. I guess this autocrat stuff has consequences.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Some light reading for your Sunday morning.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... sex-430207

Lots of insanity here but this quote exemplifies why the board needs to go as well, in my opinion.

“I didn’t think there was proper oversight, or enough governance by the board,” said Glen Thomas, a Liberty alumnus and former board member whose father was a multi-million-dollar donor to the university. “The president, or the CEO, of a nonprofit should be working for the board to fulfill the mission of the nonprofit — not the opposite. I feel like the board was mostly on the sidelines. I call it having accountability with no authority.”
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
This is a long article and a lot of it has been public before. However, a friend of Becki further confirms some of the allegations against her.

There is so much out there and it's so odd that Jerry is going forward with suing the school. It could get even more messy for him.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I kinda wonder if he was actually careful with the financials. Sure there was some stretching of his privileges and nepotism but that article was filled with a whole lot of nothing. Now, with using students as sex objects for self gratification, you know the aspect that we're not looking into, there seems to be a lot of meat on the bone there.
badger74 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah. I actually think most of the fiancials were legal. Even if I don't agree with all of fhe business deals. In my opinion, that is why Jerry Prevo and company decided to only focus on financial dealings for the "independent investigation".

The behavior is what always bothered me the most and isn't the behavior one should expect from a leader of any Christian organization or any organization for that matter. But if it is Christian it ought to be better.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Like I said earlier, the one good thing about all of this is that some of the BoT is going to be exposed. They will have no other choice to resign. The corruption is so unreal.
By Jonathan Carone
I had three concerns:

1) The sexual predator piece obviously goes way deeper than has been presented. They went to swingers clubs together. They played would you rather when looking at students. Jerry reportedly had a thing for Becki having relations with “one of his students.” This is incredibly worrisome.

2) The hiring and paying of family and friends of Jerry was known. Seeing we did it with members of the Board was new and serves as another reason the Executive Committee needs to all be gone.

3) The power struggle between Prevo/Executive Committee and McFarland/Nance seems to be real. We heard about it with the Kelvin Edwards/Turner Gill issues but apparently it runs much deeper.
ballah09, thepostman liked this
By Jonathan Carone
LUconn wrote: November 1st, 2020, 12:57 pm I kinda wonder if he was actually careful with the financials. Sure there was some stretching of his privileges and nepotism but that article was filled with a whole lot of nothing.
He didn’t break laws. The man is too smart to do that. He knew exactly where the laws were and how to bend/twist them for his advantage.

He broke ethical lines, but not laws.
badger74 liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Just saying Here's a quote from one executive regarding Jr in a previous article.
“He’s the best thing that’s ever happened at Liberty,” Carroll Hudson, a trustee and a member of the board’s executive committee, said this week. “If you look at the gains we’ve had, why would you have any concerns?”
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 2:03 pm Just saying Here's a quote from one executive regarding Jr in a previous article.
“He’s the best thing that’s ever happened at Liberty,” Carroll Hudson, a trustee and a member of the board’s executive committee, said this week. “If you look at the gains we’ve had, why would you have any concerns?”
Carol Hudson needs to go, too. I now look through a lens that makes all of the great things that have happened in facilities and sports look more like Jerry's smokescreen. "If we are doing so well why would anyone ask questions?" Kudos to the Thomas family; they've been around as long as the Hudson's but they weren't willing to shirk their responsibility of oversight.
Baybird liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 1st, 2020, 1:58 pm
LUconn wrote: November 1st, 2020, 12:57 pm I kinda wonder if he was actually careful with the financials. Sure there was some stretching of his privileges and nepotism but that article was filled with a whole lot of nothing.
He didn’t break laws. The man is too smart to do that. He knew exactly where the laws were and how to bend/twist them for his advantage.

He broke ethical lines, but not laws.
We'll see. CMA might be a problem. Word is they are out.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By puttincomputers
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 7:09 pm I now look through a lens that makes all of the great things that have happened in facilities and sports look more like Jerry's smokescreen.
Ah yes, I remember the years of disappointment when I was a student when LU would roar out to huge leads in every sport, only to typically allow the competition catch up and, if they were an average or good team, beat Liberty in the last few seconds. Many of the good games we had were mostly mirages. The football team would race out to huge lead, then play this horrible prevent defense that did nothing to prevent scoring and wide open receptions. The volleyball team, as above average as it supposedly was, would race out to early set wins, only to find themselves struggling to win at the end. Once in a blue moon, they would destroy the other team.

The men's basketball team was constantly hyped. But, it always failed to meet my expectations. Seth Curry was wise to transfer before I ever got there. (I went to his dad's high-school.)

I once met a transfer 5th-year red-shirt athlete's mom in Kroger. She talked up her student athlete child. Turns out, this young person had once been a decent player but had suffered some major injuries. That athlete rode the pine that year. That made me question the program's ability to properly vet incoming players.

Essentially, the sports teams were a mirage. Folks would see the team go up, the fans would leave early, and the team would come crashing back to earth. Only the Coastal and Richmond games ever seemed to keep everyone's interest. And that was because LU typically had to fight to stay in the game from the beginning.

I finally threw in the towel with LU sports after a certain AD with a sketchy history of covering up sex crimes was hired.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]