Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
FWIW, Ian has done a marvelous job on the current contracts for both McKay and Freeze. They both have what I've been told are "massive buy outs."

I point that out not to say a school wouldn't pay that if they wanted either bad enough, but to say that Liberty will be ok if either leaves.

As I mentioned on the ASOR Pod (shameless plug), I'd hate to lose either HCHF or HCRM, but Ian would be much more difficult to replace.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: October 19th, 2020, 9:41 am FWIW, Ian has done a marvelous job on the current contracts for both McKay and Freeze. They both have what I've been told are "massive buy outs."

I point that out not to say a school wouldn't pay that if they wanted either bad enough, but to say that Liberty will be ok if either leaves.

As I mentioned on the ASOR Pod (shameless plug), I'd hate to lose either HCHF or HCRM, but Ian would be much more difficult to replace.
Pretty good hire for a guy that we only vetted for four days. :lol: :lol: :roll:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
On most hires, 4 days of vetting is long enough. We're not a Power 5 school, but we have a Power 5 AD and a Power 5 football coach. Pretty good for a local Baptist school.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
If Auburn is the school that can lure Freeze away, it doesn't sound like that it'll be this year/off season. Malzahn's contract appears to be rather sizeable with a large buy-out as well. That probably keeps him around a little longer. However, it's also important to remember or realize that Auburn fans are a lot like Yankee fans- every years a losing season if they don't win it all and beat the Red Sox (SEC and Alabama in this case, I presume).
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 19th, 2020, 11:07 am On most hires, 4 days of vetting is long enough. We're not a Power 5 school, but we have a Power 5 AD and a Power 5 football coach. Pretty good for a local Baptist school.
Not sure you were around when this conversation occurred. There were some here, who were not happy with the Ian hire, because we "only vetted him for four days." Additionally, many bought into the story, that he was directly/wholly responsible for all the problems at Baylor. We had in fact, been considering him for a very long time and when the time was right, we pulled the trigger. It might be the best hire LU has ever made, except for one of your Oldtimer members. :lol:

There were also a lot of nay-sayers that surrounded the HF hire. Which may have been the second best hire ever at LU. At least there was a reason to question that hire. So far, it looks like a home run.
By LUOrange
I was in the middle of both the McCaw and Freeze hires, as I didn't know much about either's reported scandals. I was also, admittedly, more excited with the Freeze hire than McCaw's. Although, I was more concerned with the optics of the hires. However, Clay Travis posted a very interesting column about Art Briles last week, arguing that Briles and McCaw were Baylor's scapegoats. It's interesting to say the least. He also posted an audio interview with Briles, but I haven't listened to it yet.

https://www.outkick.com/baylor-used-a-r ... rt-briles/
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I was against both hires and was very wrong. Not just because of our success but both men haven proven themselves. Also, the more you dig into the Ian situation the more your realize he had little to do with the issues there.

Regardless, I was wrong and have no problem admitting that.

@Class of 20Something laid out some great thoughts on the future of HF here. When we hired him we knew it probably wouldn't be for life but if any of those 3 areas 20Something laid out come to fruition, I could see him staying for a long time. That is a big IF at this point but it is certianly not impossible.

Like I keep saying. I'm just enjoying the ride.
ballcoach15, LUOrange, flameshaw and 1 others liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We have one of the best athletic staffs in the nation, with our AD, football, softball, baseball and basketball head coaches.
Also, I hear we have a great new track coach.
Last edited by ballcoach15 on October 19th, 2020, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By LUDad
LoneStar wrote: October 18th, 2020, 9:53 pm So far, he has turned down offers, but he doesn't seem to give a firm "I'm not looking for another job" answer when he does so.
He shouldn't give away leverage by declaring that. That leverage may not necessarily be for himself, it could be used to take care of his staff.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Very true. The next problem is keeping talented coordinators. Weve not had that issue because we havent had any that have been all that desirable. Now, symons aldredge in particular will need need to be paid. Those guys are up and comers.

One of the things that killed al groh was after initial success he started losing all his assts where beamer largely kept most of his. The story afterward was pretty predictable.
ballcoach15 liked this
By bluedevilflame
Registration Days Posts
I think his past will keep some bigger schools away that may otherwise want his services, in some of the articles I've seen linking him to other jobs he's still referred to as controversial and his past issues at Ole Miss are always mentioned.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That didn't keep Lane Kiffin out of the SEC (at Coach Freeze's last stop of all places). Those big boy programs are willing to overlook a great deal of past indiscretions if they believe you can help them win.

I am just enjoying the ride as long as possible recognizing that due to the events of the past summer and the success we are experiencing that we will be a much more attractive destination for coaches than in the past.
bluedevilflame liked this
By LUOrange
Sly Fox wrote: October 20th, 2020, 9:29 am That didn't keep Lane Kiffin out of the SEC (at Coach Freeze's last stop of all places). Those big boy programs are willing to overlook a great deal of past indiscretions if they believe you can help them win.

I am just enjoying the ride as long as possible recognizing that due to the events of the past summer and the success we are experiencing that we will be a much more attractive destination for coaches than in the past.
Hopefully, we won't be attractive for a few more P5 and bowl wins and years later.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Mississippi Today wrote:Hugh Freeze, building an impressive Liberty program, now faces his alma mater Southern Miss

BY RICK CLEVELAND, SPORTS COLUMNIST

Nearly 14 months ago Hugh Freeze made his coaching debut at Liberty University, watching the game from a hospital bed in the Liberty press box.

He was experiencing excruciating back pain that all but paralyzed him. Making matters all the worse, the Liberty Flames were pretty much doused 24-0 by Syracuse. That’s right: Liberty scored as many points as you and me.
Click Here for Full Story
ballcoach15 liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Man that interview was wide open. It confirmed several things. 1.) that our biggest recruiting challenge is the other schools saying freeze wont be here. 2.). He treaded around it about as cautiously as you possibly could. 3.). The 1 year to get back down to 85 scholarships is brutal. 4.). He wants to play this week for sure. 5.). Weve sat a few kids this year due to testing, based on them not being on the injury report and then suddenly being out on gameday i think i could guess most of them.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: October 20th, 2020, 10:05 pm
alabama24 wrote: October 20th, 2020, 6:57 pm Michigan needs a new coach.
Harbaugh isn't going anywhere this year. Plus I doubt HF has any desire to coach up north.
I recall Rich Rod leaving WV to go to Michigan. Maybe the dumbest move in history.
JK37 liked this
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
https://theathletic.com/2150365/2020/10 ... -football/

The negative in recruiting is that folks think Hugh is gone. The positive is that we are getting a lot of positive, non political exposure. That has got to help us in recruiting the next few cycles regardless of whether he stays.

Personally, I think it would be in his best interest to stay here for a while and see where he can take us. If the world is impressed with this years' team just wait until a few more recruiting classes! Plus, who doesn't want to see that game vs. Ole Miss next year with Hugh here and a Lane Kiffin coached Ole Miss?!

I don't know what his "dream job" would be now. He already had it at Ole Miss. Would Auburn or Tennessee be more fulfilling than possibly taking LU up the ranks to relevancy ala Bobby Bowden at FSU or Frank Beamer at Va Tech? He could be a legend in 10-15 years. I don't think that could happen elsewhere.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I don't know what is in his best interest. I hope he stays a while. I will not be shocked or mad with him if he doesn't. There will certainly be less pressure on him if he remains here and "success" will be a lower threshold. Playing for a national championship will be much harder here.
By Jonathan Carone
ALAFlamesFan wrote: October 21st, 2020, 9:30 am Personally, I think it would be in his best interest to stay here for a while and see where he can take us. If the world is impressed with this years' team just wait until a few more recruiting classes! Plus, who doesn't want to see that game vs. Ole Miss next year with Hugh here and a Lane Kiffin coached Ole Miss?!

I don't know what his "dream job" would be now. He already had it at Ole Miss. Would Auburn or Tennessee be more fulfilling than possibly taking LU up the ranks to relevancy ala Bobby Bowden at FSU or Frank Beamer at Va Tech? He could be a legend in 10-15 years. I don't think that could happen elsewhere.
10-15 years of hard work to bring relevancy and top out in a big time bowl game vs a potential national championship within 5 years.

Hard to say staying here is in his best interest career wise. It might be in his best interest family wise and personally, but career wise I don't see an argument for how staying here is in his best interest.

I'm just enjoying the time he's here. I'm also thankful he's not making the mistake Ritchie made the first time around by saying things like he's called to be here or wants to be here forever.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
ALAFlamesFan wrote: October 21st, 2020, 9:30 am Personally, I think it would be in his best interest to stay here for a while and see where he can take us. If the world is impressed with this years' team just wait until a few more recruiting classes! Plus, who doesn't want to see that game vs. Ole Miss next year with Hugh here and a Lane Kiffin coached Ole Miss?!

10-15 years of hard work to bring relevancy and top out in a big time bowl game vs a potential national championship within 5 years.

Hard to say staying here is in his best interest career wise. It might be in his best interest family wise and personally, but career wise I don't see an argument for how staying here is in his best interest.

I'm just enjoying the time he's here. I'm also thankful he's not making the mistake Ritchie made the first time around by saying things like he's called to be here or wants to be here forever.
I agree with all of that. I will only add this: I know a coach who took Auburn to a National Championship game and is pretty much despised a few years later. Neither an Auburn nor Tennessee or Texas for that matter will stay satisfied if you don't operate on a Nick Saban/Dabo Sweeney level of excellence. You go to those schools and you could easily be out of a job again in 5 years.

edit: I can actually think of 2 Auburn coaches. Who could forget Chizik? It's a what have you done for me lately world down here...

edit #2: Also no one looks good in orange! Of those 3 Texas is the best shade but still!...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
My Gut feeling is that HF will be at Liberty as long as he is seeing progress and does not believe we have hit our ceiling. If and when that time comes, it will depend on how old he is, his health, and how badly he wants a shot at a national championship before he hangs it up.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]