Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: June 29th, 2020, 9:01 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: June 29th, 2020, 7:53 pm Please keep thread "on track". Don't wander off, out in left field.
Please reference the sport at hand. We don't need your softball references in the football sub.
I remember when they used to play football on baseball fields. I believe the 70’s saw a huge explosion in multi use facilities. The Mistake By The Lake. 3 Rivers Riverfront. Metronome Astrodome. I think where Oakland A’s and Raiders played is one of the few remaining
ballcoach15 liked this
By Ill flame
Purple Haize wrote: June 29th, 2020, 9:25 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: June 29th, 2020, 9:01 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: June 29th, 2020, 7:53 pm Please keep thread "on track". Don't wander off, out in left field.
Please reference the sport at hand. We don't need your softball references in the football sub.
I remember when they used to play football on baseball fields. I believe the 70’s saw a huge explosion in multi use facilities. The Mistake By The Lake. 3 Rivers Riverfront. Metronome Astrodome. I think where Oakland A’s and Raiders played is one of the few remaining
Wrigley and Fenway used to host pro football teams but that was before multi use stadiums were cool. Are we not counting bowl games and other higher profile cfb games because I can think of a half dozen mlb stadiums that have hosted those in recent years.
By LUOrange
Candlestick Park in San Francisco and Kaufman Stadium in KC, were also baseball/football stadiums, and the Syracuse Chiefs (AAA) occasionally played games in the Carrier Dome back in the 80's & 90's. Also, MSG is home to the Rangers and Knicks. Back in the 90's when I gave 2 craps about the NBA, there were plenty of games with NBA players slipping on the court from the condensation of the hockey game the night before. Multi-use just makes sense, even if you have slipping players and a diamond in the end zone.
By Ill flame
LUOrange wrote: June 30th, 2020, 12:33 pm Candlestick Park in San Francisco and Kaufman Stadium in KC, were also baseball/football stadiums, and the Syracuse Chiefs (AAA) occasionally played games in the Carrier Dome back in the 80's & 90's. Also, MSG is home to the Rangers and Knicks. Back in the 90's when I gave 2 craps about the NBA, there were plenty of games with NBA players slipping on the court from the condensation of the hockey game the night before. Multi-use just makes sense, even if you have slipping players and a diamond in the end zone.
It makes a lot of sense to combine hockey and basketball arenas since they are so similar. Football and baseball are so different I understand why they started making specialized stadiums. I know NHL players generally don't like playing on ice after it's been used for basketball though since it slightly messes with the ice somehow.
By cruzan_flame13
rtb72 wrote: October 17th, 2020, 11:15 pm
Kricket wrote: October 17th, 2020, 8:36 pm Looks like the win today is getting High Freeze some more attention.

https://247sports.com/Article/Hugh-Free ... 153146647/
We've got to keep him. HCHF has been amazing for LU...and I think he is able to reach the kids on a special level.
We'll just have to see what Ian does at the end of the season.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
There seems to be concern that with Jr gone that money won't keep flowing to athletics but anybody who knows anything about Sr and his vision for LU knows athletics was a big part of that vision. I'm not saying we will be able to pay SEC level salaries but I don't see why raises wouldn't be in order and other creative ways.

The longer he and his family are around Liberty, the better.
rtb72, Liberty22, LUOrange liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 17th, 2020, 11:36 pm There seems to be concern that with Jr gone that money won't keep flowing to athletics but anybody who knows anything about Sr and his vision for LU knows athletics was a big part of that vision. I'm not saying we will be able to pay SEC level salaries but I don't see why raises wouldn't be in order and other creative ways.

I believe we will be ok. Jr. didn't like sports, he was dragged into it. But he did realize that, like his dad, sports and music were a very important component of LU's growth. I believe the ship is too big to turn around now.
thepostman, LUOrange liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I think COVID-19 from a sheer business standpoint in college athletics may help us keep Freeze longer than anticipated. I also think the longer he stays and the more he builds here could also make things interesting. I am not sold that he would just jump ship for any SEC school like a Vandy, SC. I think the only 2 he would even entertain now would be Bama or Auburn, but that is just me.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 17th, 2020, 11:36 pm There seems to be concern that with Jr gone that money won't keep flowing to athletics but anybody who knows anything about Sr and his vision for LU knows athletics was a big part of that vision. I'm not saying we will be able to pay SEC level salaries but I don't see why raises wouldn't be in order and other creative ways.

Junior and Sr aren’t at LU anymore. HF is already making an insane amount of money (by LU standards) I’m not sure how much higher the ceiling is for him. Plus, Auburn? That would be a chance at a National Championship every year. You’d be going to Big Boy Bowls instead of The RC Cola Moon Pie Bowl. Which is phenomenal for LU but doesn’t hold the same thrill as the Fiesta Bowl
JK37 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Doctor Falwell was LU's biggest sports fan. He attended most every home game, in most sports. Somehow this love for LU sports didn't get passed down to the kids.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 18th, 2020, 1:20 am I think COVID-19 from a sheer business standpoint in college athletics may help us keep Freeze longer than anticipated. I also think the longer he stays and the more he builds here could also make things interesting. I am not sold that he would just jump ship for any SEC school like a Vandy, SC. I think the only 2 he would even entertain now would be Bama or Auburn, but that is just me.
Your username coupled with the placement of Vandy and SC on the same level made me chuckle.

Half the SEC would warrant a serious look from any football HC at LU. I wouldn’t worry too much about Vandy, KY, either MS school, Missouri or Arkansas. But the rest? He’s a candidate, and he should seriously consider it from a professional standpoint.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 18th, 2020, 8:47 am

Junior and Sr aren’t at LU anymore. HF is already making an insane amount of money (by LU standards) I’m not sure how much higher the ceiling is for him. Plus, Auburn? That would be a chance at a National Championship every year. You’d be going to Big Boy Bowls instead of The RC Cola Moon Pie Bowl. Which is phenomenal for LU but doesn’t hold the same thrill as the Fiesta Bowl
Oh agreed. My point was more about this concern among some who seem to think that since Jr is gone our athletics budget will dry up a bit.

I would be shocked if that was the case.

He'd be leaving for a desire to coach a high end SEC program again and would have little to do with money.

That will probably happen. I don't think it happens after only 2 years though.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 18th, 2020, 1:20 am I think COVID-19 from a sheer business standpoint in college athletics may help us keep Freeze longer than anticipated.
I didn't understand what you meant at first. Obviously WE don't make any money on Football (now, in the past, or any time in the future). Most schools dont.

I now see that you mean other schools may be hurting financially, so they won't pull the trigger. That is true... but if Auburn, Tennessee, etc. want Freeze? There is nothing stopping them except his decline of the invitation.
By Logic
Pay him 10 mil a year. 3rd (or second depending on your definition) year of FBS football and we’re knocking on the door of a top-25 ranking. This is insanity when you consider where we were 5 years ago when FBS football was a dream. We used to read word up magazine. Getting turned down by the Sun Belt...guffaw.

Pay him to stay. Prove me wrong.
ballcoach15, Liberty22 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Pay him. The dream of being the next ND is looking us in the eyes. Would be a great legacy for a Christian coach to leave behind when he retires.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I would easily go to 4 or 4.5 with what ive seen. One phase of the stadium expansion would cost the same as 10 years of freeze and this staff long term. The facilities without the right guy running the program would be worthless.

If you ever want any Return from all the facilities expenses then you pay up to keep him.

You dont have the worry of having to pay off a dead weight to buy him out early. Thats what his past success coupled with what weve seen here completely takes that out of the contract discussion. Negotiate the buy out up as high as you can each time you extend.
Last edited by jinxy on October 18th, 2020, 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]