This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:56 am
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:55 am Now, if the TRBC congregation were to start from scratch and elect a new board, with a minimum of about 10 members, I think they might be where they need to be to exercise their legal authority.
Disagree with minimum of ten members. Most boards have 7-9 members on average according to everything I've read. It's an indictment that ours has 33 members.
Is that 33 number referring to the church board or the university board? The only list I have seen for the TRBC board had 6 voting members, which would now be 5.
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2020, 10:04 am
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:55 am Now, if the TRBC congregation were to start from scratch and elect a new board, with a minimum of about 10 members, I think they might be where they need to be to exercise their legal authority.
Disagree with minimum of ten members. Most boards have 7-9 members on average according to everything I've read. It's an indictment that ours has 33 members.
Is that 33 number referring to the church board or the university board? The only list I have seen for the TRBC board had 6 voting members, which would now be 5.
Sorry. University. I've never even attended TRBC so the "our" I meant was the school.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 28th, 2020, 10:18 am
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2020, 10:04 am

Sorry. University. I've never even attended TRBC so the "our" I meant was the school.
Totally agree that 33 is way too many. I've always been puzzled by that. Just from a practical standpoint, it's almost unmanageable, but it appears they get around that by giving the Executive Committee so much power.

Getting back to my idea, I don't think the TRBC congregation should select the new Liberty BOT. I do think they need to disband the current church board and start from scratch with a new one, voted on by the congregation.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2020, 10:46 am
SumItUp wrote: August 28th, 2020, 10:43 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:56 am It's an indictment that ours has 33 members.
What board has 33 members?
I had the same question. He was referring to the Liberty BOT.
I thought that is what he meant. Doc wanted a board of that size and it was for a purpose that was anything but an indictment.
By Jonathan Carone
Doc might have wanted it that size, but that doesn’t mean it being that large was the right thing to do, especially as the school grew from a small Christian university to what it is today.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
wait there are 33 board members? LMAO what a pile of stupid.

u of IA has 9
u of IL has 11
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I don't know, I think there's value in having a large board. Helps prevent mission creep, and dilutes influence.
It's hard to compare public universities with a private Christian university. Public schools have to answer to state governments. It just all depends on the school. Looking at UVA's Board of Visitors, they have 19 members, plus the university president.
Notre Dame, on the other hand, has a group of Fellows (12), and also a group of Trustees (way more than LU's 33).
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
as one who was on a board that had 20+ members who were very active, very little got done. the idea was similar to what you mentioned but ultimately a chunk of us felt every meeting dragged on and never really accomplished much. i can only imagine such a board in a university setting. christian or no (the board i was on shortly was a private christian non profit our church was involved with for a time....the founder under its watch had its own jerry jr problem) too much can slip by when you have too many goalies.
Schfourteenteen liked this
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
Can confirm 33 is a disaster as one of my stops as an employee had a 31 person board. Having worked fairly close to them, it's exactly what an ED or President would need to divide and conquer. Accountability is gone. Nothing gets done. 8 hour board meetings. The only thing they could agree on was the steakhouse we went to afterward. Thank goodness we had to get done by dinner time.

The group eventually recognized that 31 was too many and decided to make a reduction. Now, the exact same outcome is accomplished using... 19 people. Plus 8 non-voting commissioners. https://www.fysa.com/about/bod-directory/
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote: August 28th, 2020, 2:07 pm as one who was on a board that had 20+ members who were very active, very little got done. the idea was similar to what you mentioned but ultimately a chunk of us felt every meeting dragged on and never really accomplished much. i can only imagine such a board in a university setting. christian or no (the board i was on shortly was a private christian non profit our church was involved with for a time....the founder under its watch had its own jerry jr problem) too much can slip by when you have too many goalies.
At Liberty, basically all of the heavy lifting was done by the much smaller Executive committee who had a lot of leeway in making decisions. The entire board met infrequently, and something had to be a pretty big deal to require their approval.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 28th, 2020, 3:31 pm Some of y'all might be coming down too hard on the board.
This mindset is why we are where we are. Maybe we are being too hard but let's have an independent investigation and that would go a long way in filtering out fact from fiction.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 12:37 pm If vacancies occurred on board, who would be best candidates to join BoT ?
Great question. Rather broad but good question. I don’t know enough about the shakers and movers to give specific names. But there should be a complete overhaul.
I wouldn’t mind seeing Elmer and DeMoss back on there for a hot minute to stabilize and give direction to the BoT
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
hoop20 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 12:41 pm I imagine a current coach could never be on the board, but eventually once McKay is retired he would be a great voice to have on the board IMO.
Since JLFJR was on the board, it doesn't look like employees are proscribed, so why not? A side benefit could be it would make him feel even more invested and more likely to stick around.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]