Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

bluedevilflame wrote: August 25th, 2020, 1:30 pm
MUsince96 wrote:
sstaedtler wrote: August 1st, 2020, 9:09 pm Regarding football, I think I'd rather stay Independent also. We can play 3 Power 5's a year or more in the future. You join the Sun Belt or Conference USA, most of them only get to play 1. I would think that can help us in recruiting against G5's. Sure I'd like a conference title game and rivalries, but I don't think joining those two conferences really enhances Liberty football much. I'd join the AAC or better also. Clearly, in terms of the other sports, especially basketball, we need to get out of the A-Sun into a better conference.
You could schedule 3 P5's a year playing in a conference. You're in charge of your OOC schedule. Not the league. Plus you'd be eligible for the NY6 Access Bowl.

With Jerry looking like he's on his way out I'd love for you all to be looked at as a more acceptable conference addition.

I think a league based around Marshall, Liberty, JMU, ODU, App State, and Charlotte could be really fun.
I'd toss in ECU, Coastal and maybe a MTSU in the mix. That'd be a lot of fun!
Oh I'd love ECU, Temple and Navy too for a good Mid-Atlantic/Southern conference. But I was only naming teams I thought might take part in a new league. I can't see anyone leaving the AAC.

Don't care much for Coastal or Middle personally but I could see Coastal being included.
MUsince96 wrote: August 25th, 2020, 1:15 pm
I think a league based around Marshall, Liberty, JMU, ODU, App State, and Charlotte could be really fun.
Sounds like an ACC-lite to me, which would be nice to be a part of. The C-USA really doesn't make sense geographically. The conference itself is a complete oddity and conglomeration of schools. I'm really expecting and hopeful for some post-COVID conference realignment.
MUsince96 liked this
Not saying a more realigned "regional" conference would not be a bad idea, but I would rather we stay independent for football and possibly be added to an Olympic conference like the A-10. That would be interesting and more financially bothy since a good amount of the schools are in state or near state. Of course if that doesn't work out, I rather the conference mentioned than staying in the A-SUN. We don't belong there geographically speaking and other reasons.
chris leedlelee liked this
We should not lower our selves to JMU or ODU level. I don't understand how some are fascinated with being in any conference with these schools, along with Charlotte or even Appy State. We need to set our sights higher.
ballcoach15 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 8:25 am We should not lower our selves to JMU or ODU level. I don't understand how some are fascinated with being in any conference with these schools, along with Charlotte or even Appy State. We need to set our sights higher.
You don't become CEO the first day on the job. We can set our sights higher and have a goal and vision...but we are still establishing ourselves. I think being in a conference with App would be a great start.
flameshaw liked this
rtb72 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 2:43 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 8:25 am We should not lower our selves to JMU or ODU level. I don't understand how some are fascinated with being in any conference with these schools, along with Charlotte or even Appy State. We need to set our sights higher.
You don't become CEO the first day on the job. We can set our sights higher and have a goal and vision...but we are still establishing ourselves. I think being in a conference with App would be a great start.
...said every G5 program still stuck in Purgatory...
tyndal23 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 3:56 pm
....said every "self-proclaimed P5 equivalent" football program with limited fan base and a 1-11 record...
Purple Haize liked this
rtb72 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 4:20 pm

....said every "self-proclaimed P5 equivalent" football program with limited fan base and a 1-11 record...
Who this team(s) that you speak of? I can oy think of maybe 2-3 that could be looked at as such a program. That'll be BYU, BSU and Army. I don't see them being a usual 1-11 team. Also remember that BSU east like a community college. They weren't playing around when they became expose for playing big name schools and eventually start beating them. I'm not saying we should play all P5's but it would be smart to build up decent but innovated players in order to get good records and then continue improving in recruits. By then it's not such a dumb idea to play an extra game or two down the road. Not so crazy at all; wouldn't fully recommend joining a conference like CUSA or SB because that will likely be like purgatory. We'll see what happens in next realignment.
cruzan_flame13 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 5:18 pm
rtb72 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Who this team(s) that you speak of? I can oy think of maybe 2-3 that could be looked at as such a program. That'll be BYU, BSU and Army. I don't see them being a usual 1-11 team. Also remember that BSU east like a community college. They weren't playing around when they became expose for playing big name schools and eventually start beating them. I'm not saying we should play all P5's but it would be smart to build up decent but innovated players in order to get good records and then continue improving in recruits. By then it's not such a dumb idea to play an extra game or two down the road. Not so crazy at all; wouldn't fully recommend joining a conference like CUSA or SB because that will likely be like purgatory. We'll see what happens in next realignment.
My point exactly....down the road. Let's build our program and exposure. I'm all for playing high end P5 competition...within reason. I'm certainly not saying it's impossible to be P5, that's a great goal. But to suggest we can compete at the assumed level I think is being eluded to is not realistic. There's a lot of G5s we can't compete with. It's a process...like anything else. I believe we are on a good track and I think a conference would provide us with some guarantees that we may not have over the long run. Purgatory would also be ending up as everybody's homecoming.
Being involved in those conferences will cause very slow growth. We want to improve in recruiting every year. It's not likely that we can obtain plus play 3 P5's while in those conferences before conference play. We have a flexibility to change games when we can easily. A good example is this year; couldn't do that easily in a conference(especially two who are basically struggling to hang in there ). We're blessed financially to stay open and grow faster through negotiation(Not having Jr. will make it easier). Also, if we can get an invite in the A10 (if a school moves elsewhere or they transition into a mega conference), we can continue to develop our brand for the basketball team(s) . That conference is basically a major conference(#8 best conference) and we can benefit financially there (sorry Ball coach, but basketball is more important than softball to most viewers).
By rtb72
cruzan_flame13 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 9:48 pm Being involved in those conferences will cause very slow growth. We want to improve in recruiting every year. It's not likely that we can obtain plus play 3 P5's while in those conferences before conference play. We have a flexibility to change games when we can easily. A good example is this year; couldn't do that easily in a conference(especially two who are basically struggling to hang in there ). We're blessed financially to stay open and grow faster through negotiation(Not having Jr. will make it easier). Also, if we can get an invite in the A10 (if a school moves elsewhere or they transition into a mega conference), we can continue to develop our brand for the basketball team(s) . That conference is basically a major conference(#8 best conference) and we can benefit financially there (sorry Ball coach, but basketball is more important than softball to most viewers).
Okay, I want to make sure I understand your angle. You are saying stay independent but assert P5 equivalency, or at least play more P5s as part of a independent schedule? At least until we get a major conference invite?
I disagree with both of your premises.

1. Go G5 conference and build up a brand Then What? Go back to Imdependent and schedule Like ND then? Hope a P5 conference invites us in ?
2, Gradually add a P5 game every few years ? No - doesn’t do enough to get recruits in so you aren’t playing with equal caliber players and have one foot in and one foot out.

OR
Tyndal plan of 2027 (10 years after announcing FBS) announcing it, budgeting for it, scheduling it ( with bottom 1/3 P5 teams ) -5 years of 7 road games, coaching staff paid heavily to stay, marketing budget top 5 in the country etc.. Then What “ you say” ( thanks for asking ). Then we say to ACC- hey we don’t need a formal agreement with you like ND but if ACC Counts us as a P5 game for your conference - we will do home and homes for the next 5 years and pay $1.4 for Games at LU and only charge $400k for us to visit. This would benefit many of your conference teams in NC who need a Winnable P5 game in close proximity The years they don’t play ND. That gets us back to 6 home games in 2032 with a product you actually will need to build a bigger stadium for...
chris leedlelee liked this
rtb72 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 10:02 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 9:48 pm Being involved in those conferences will cause very slow growth. We want to improve in recruiting every year. It's not likely that we can obtain plus play 3 P5's while in those conferences before conference play. We have a flexibility to change games when we can easily. A good example is this year; couldn't do that easily in a conference(especially two who are basically struggling to hang in there ). We're blessed financially to stay open and grow faster through negotiation(Not having Jr. will make it easier). Also, if we can get an invite in the A10 (if a school moves elsewhere or they transition into a mega conference), we can continue to develop our brand for the basketball team(s) . That conference is basically a major conference(#8 best conference) and we can benefit financially there (sorry Ball coach, but basketball is more important than softball to most viewers).
Okay, I want to make sure I understand your angle. You are saying stay independent but assert P5 equivalency, or at least play more P5s as part of a independent schedule? At least until we get a major conference invite?
I'm not saying to assert ourselves as a P5(plus that's not even a real label of we're honest). I'm just saying it's better to stay independent in football and not enter. We can grow better getting our name out there playing flexible schedules and recruiting hard plus get a better chance exposing our basketball brand in the A-10.
ballah09 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 8:55 pm https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 634103002/
The article kept mentioning a "Baylor not oral Roberts" argument. What do they mean by that? I'm not familiar enough with these two schools to get the reference. Are they just saying liberty is closer to a P5 football school than a middling D1 school or does the comparison go deeper than sports?
Last edited by Ill flame on August 26th, 2020, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ballcoach15 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 10:09 pm I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "A10 isn't a good conference for LU". It is basically just a northern basketball conference . Our footprint is more aligned toward southern sector of the country.
George Washington, George Mason, Richmond, VCU Davidson and Saint Louis would say you're incorrect.
LUOrange liked this
By rtb72
cruzan_flame13 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 10:18 pm
I'm not saying to assert ourselves as a P5(plus that's not even a real label of we're honest). I'm just saying it's better to stay independent in football and not enter. We can grow better getting our name out there playing flexible schedules and recruiting hard plus get a better chance exposing our basketball brand in the A-10.
I had heard the P5 equivalent before, so that's why i asked for clarity. We certainly agree on your first sentence. I don't think we are too far apart really. I do like a conference ( not all of them) but one where we have some guarantees. We have been very blessed with our scheduling indeed, so far. That could change in an instant as an independent. Since you brought up this year, what if we had not been chosen as the +1 for the ACC teams. We'd be hurting. At least a conference would give us guaranteed games, title shots, bowl tie-ins, and help us build our brand. I also think there is room for some good P5 games, and I know we could appeal to quality recruits. I would also support getting away from two FCS games, maybe completely away from this over the next couple years.
rtb72 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 10:27 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 10:18 pm

I had heard the P5 equivalent before, so that's why i asked for clarity. We certainly agree on your first sentence. I don't think we are too far apart really. I do like a conference ( not all of them) but one where we have some guarantees. We have been very blessed with our scheduling indeed, so far. That could change in an instant as an independent. Since you brought up this year, what if we had not been chosen as the +1 for the ACC teams. We'd be hurting. At least a conference would give us guaranteed games, title shots, bowl tie-ins, and help us build our brand. I also think there is room for some good P5 games, and I know we could appeal to quality recruits. I would also support getting away from two FCS games, maybe completely away from this over the next couple years.
If the ACC didn't add us as a +1 game, they were more games available that we could've considered. Apparently we wanted two confirm easy wins in the FCS which I hope will not continue next season and beyond.
I’d argue that we’re no better than Baylor as of now. We’re only a couple scandals behind.

I know for one thing. I don’t want to be stuck with the likes of PCC Or BJU which seems like some here want us to do.
ballah09 wrote: August 27th, 2020, 10:19 am I’d argue that we’re no better than Baylor as of now. We’re only a couple scandals behind.

I know for one thing. I don’t want to be stuck with the likes of PCC Or BJU which seems like some here want us to do.
I am speaking primarily of the primacy of Christ and teaching all classes from a Christian world view and having Christian professors. Harvard, Duke, Wake Forest all use to be Christian schools but have totally abandoned the faith. Schools like Baylor are headed in that direction. And yes, some schools need to pay more attention to Galatians.
LUDad wrote: August 27th, 2020, 2:28 pm
ballah09 wrote: August 27th, 2020, 10:19 am I’d argue that we’re no better than Baylor as of now. We’re only a couple scandals behind.

I am speaking primarily of the primacy of Christ and teaching all classes from a Christian world view and having Christian professors. Harvard, Duke, Wake Forest all use to be Christian schools but have totally abandoned the faith. Schools like Baylor are headed in that direction. And yes, some schools need to pay more attention to Galatians.
I get what you are saying but there are plenty christian schools out there that are conservative in their theology like Samford, Lipscomb, Pepperdine, GCU and Wheaton. You have Dallas, Cal and Houston baptist too all well respected. We can grab somebody out there at these universities. Investing in academics, no politics and restoring the spiritual side of the school. I think most outsiders will tell you, no politics and improving the academics (Especially LUonline) that we will be wanted.
Jonathan Carone liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]