This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: August 9th, 2020, 7:52 pm One forgotten piece to all this is jrs impact on athletics. From what i hear hes pretty popular among the head coaches because of his continued backing of the programs specifically with resources and pay. So many are thirsty for the typical academic only president but those types rarely do what jr did for athletics.

Im not implying its of the most important things to look at in whether to keep jr or not but or in finding the potential replacement. However, athletics are at a critical state specifically football mbb baseball softball (wbb is a bit stagnant). The $ decisions probably dont show yet on paper that you should extend freeze jackson and mckay when others come calling but the potential is there to blow the doors off all 4 sports.

All im saying is i hope we dont lose all weve gained (assuming we can still afford it in athletics).
Ding, Ding, Ding. Jr's the only one with Doc's vision for athletics. At the end of their contracts .............. say goodbye :lol:
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:44 am
ALUmnus wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:38 am LU has always had a culture of celebrity worship, I really hope that doesn't influence who is named the next president. "They have a BIG name" is not how you hire the president of a university, if we're a serious institution.
If the big name brings legitimate credentials that would have the cachet to significantly influence the culture and direction academically & spiritually, then I think you look at them closely right now.

I am not sure that by-laws are top of mind for those currently making decisions. This has always been a chancellor-led school since its founding. This is a unique moment in the school's history where past mindsets are not necessarily applicable. I am really curious to see what path they take.
Sly, I typically agree with you, but not here. An institution revolving around that one big name is exactly how you get into messes like we're in. I'm struggling to think of an instance where it's really worked out well. Putting faith in celebrity is always setting yourself up for disappointment. You don't need the famous person to push culture, you need a leader, the rest is just baggage.

And the bylaws should be at the forefront of all these decisions, both practically and legally. If you don't follow your bylaws, you are on very shaky legal ground (not to mention accreditation).
Purple Haize, LUOrange liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I work with companies every day. The vast majority have no clue what their by laws say and have to be educated on what to do to borrow etc by their own by laws. They operate as sly said and by laws are on paper.

Not saying it's right but its reality. By laws are often dated and not updated properly either.

As far as athletics go. I was mentioning more that if they don't feel the president is behind them it opens them up to leave. Say what you want about jr. All the coaches frequently said they appreciated how much jr cared and was behind them. You can say you support athleticism aics all you want. He proved it. Its worth watching.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:42 am
Purple Haize wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:28 am Borek? Hope LU still has good lawyers
Don't know how good they are, but apparently they are "mean".
Well as long as he’s not on campus much hopefully they won’t be needed
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 10th, 2020, 1:43 pm
Purple Haize wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:28 am Borek? Hope LU still has good lawyers
So Purple, am I missing the point ordo you have an issue with Borek?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: August 10th, 2020, 2:31 pm
Purple Haize wrote: August 10th, 2020, 1:43 pm

So Purple, am I missing the point ordo you have an issue with Borek?
He served his purpose back in the day.
He also has some baggage from his time at LU
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I would be more surprised if they hired him, even as a caretaker, than when they asked Jr. to take a vacay. If that is all they can come up with, they should all resign. Too much baggage.
Last edited by flameshaw on August 10th, 2020, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By hoop20
ALUmnus wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:38 am LU has always had a culture of celebrity worship, I really hope that doesn't influence who is named the next president. "They have a BIG name" is not how you hire the president of a university, if we're a serious institution.

Does anyone know where the heck you can find the university's bylaws? I can't find them online. If anyone can, please post a link.
I have never been able to find the bylaws either. They seem to be hidden intentionally. Not sure if anyone on here has a copy/link.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote: August 9th, 2020, 5:58 pm Another long term problem/question is how many of these shenanigans actually did get board approval? If I recall, (and it is just from memory) the crosswhite deal, and the trey house/farm deal got approval despite them clearly being Sweetheart deals. So he can just say "they approved it" to at least some shady things.
While Crosswhite was a "Sweetheart," deal - the fact is, running and maintaining an indoor tennis center for the community is expensive, and making it primarily for LU tennis was impractical due to the distance from campus and a world class outdoor tennis facility already on campus.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
provo is the acting president and as many know, is very close to Jerry but that describes the entire board at this point. It is still early but I am less and less confident that any kind of independent review will be conducted.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
My earlier post was not meant to imply that JR will still be running the show behind the scenes. Just a "dad joke" because they have the same name, but I don't expect any major decisions to come out of the President's office in the next 6 months.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: August 10th, 2020, 4:58 pm
LUconn wrote: August 9th, 2020, 5:58 pm Another long term problem/question is how many of these shenanigans actually did get board approval? If I recall, (and it is just from memory) the crosswhite deal, and the trey house/farm deal got approval despite them clearly being Sweetheart deals. So he can just say "they approved it" to at least some shady things.
While Crosswhite was a "Sweetheart," deal - the fact is, running and maintaining an indoor tennis center for the community is expensive, and making it primarily for LU tennis was impractical due to the distance from campus and a world class outdoor tennis facility already on campus.
Crosswhite=Russian collusion. 8) Nothing burger.
jinxy liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Shocker that they put Jrs most loyal friend in charge. Tells me Jr will be back in a few weeks. I do have to laugh that they were humiliated by Jr but to turn around and do this. Makes them look like clowns.

He’ll be back doing his same ole crap.
thepostman liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 10th, 2020, 6:07 pm provo is the acting president and as many know, is very close to Jerry but that describes the entire board at this point. It is still early but I am less and less confident that any kind of independent review will be conducted.
Not very excited about this move. Maybe it was the best we could do, with such a short time before school starts. He is too old. I guess the good side of things, he will bring a more spiritual focus to the office. Don't see him exciting the current students much. I guess we will see.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 10th, 2020, 6:43 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 8th, 2020, 9:56 pm Interim president will be someone with ties to the University. Leave of absence will be approximately 6 months.
Next question
I never said you were wrong. I just voiced my disapproval if that is indeed what has been decided. It appears that is what direction they are going in hopes this will all blow over. I am not so sure it will.
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
Just checking to see if anything will ever change and it looks like nope. The world's most antichrist university will still be run by a guy who has literally never shown an inkling of true faith in his life and the never ending rotation of guys/gals that he likes to diddle on his yacht.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]