This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
John Borek.

Solid Christian. An academic administrator. Has been involved in other Academic Boards. He is on the LUs Board, returning with Anthony Beckles this past year.
Past president of Liberty and Ga State and has served with SACS.
Last edited by rogers3 on August 7th, 2020, 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Purple Haize, fan00 liked this
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Has Ian McCaw’s name been mentioned yet? If not, I’m mentioning it now. JLFJR loves him. Could use him to still steer the school from the outside while he makes a political run. I’m glad this is happening...even if it’s only for appearances but I don’t believe JR is gone.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: August 7th, 2020, 10:01 pm John Borek.

Solid Christian. An academic administrator. Has been involved in other Academic Boards. He is on the LUs Board, returning with Anthony Beckles this past year.
That might top the Ron Godwin suggestion :D :D
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 7th, 2020, 10:43 pm

He did pop up out of nowhere last year. Beckles resigned from his CFO position and joined the board, too. My father in law who is quite the academic, thinks that Borek is probably the only board member with serious academic chops. Actually, he might be the only person outside of the body of the faculty who has any real academic qualifications .
Wonder what Cider thinks.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: August 7th, 2020, 11:00 pm
Purple Haize wrote: August 7th, 2020, 10:43 pm

He did pop up out of nowhere last year. Beckles resigned from his CFO position and joined the board, too. My father in law who is quite the academic, thinks that Borek is probably the only board member with serious academic chops. Actually, he might be the only person outside of the body of the faculty who has any real academic qualifications .
Wonder what Cider thinks.
Which is sad
Just John liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It might have been sold to Junior as temporary. It certainly leaves a lot of wiggle room either way
Here is a name that flew to the top of my list in the last few hours.

Dr. Voddie Baucham, PH.d from Oxford (so academic criteria is a check), but most importantly the man of God that he is is what we need in a leadership position. If you haven't taken a look at him and some of the things he has been doing for our LORD then check him out on youtube. He has done extensive work on the subjects of racial reconciliation, social justice, marxism and other hot topics. He is a beast!
By sstaedtler
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: August 7th, 2020, 11:31 pm Here is a name that flew to the top of my list in the last few hours.

Dr. Voddie Baucham, PH.d from Oxford (so academic criteria is a check), but most importantly the man of God that he is is what we need in a leadership position. If you haven't taken a look at him and some of the things he has been doing for our LORD then check him out on youtube. He has done extensive work on the subjects of racial reconciliation, social justice, marxism and other hot topics. He is a beast!
If he is against Critical Race Theory strongly, I'd consider him. That is one thing for me that is disqualifying. I do not want a President who believes anything close to Critical Race Theory, which to me, has a lot of elements of a false gospel and is very, very divisive.

As for Carson, I like him a lot, but to me, I want someone younger than that. And I do agree it helps if we get someone who doesn't look overly involved in politics.
Purple Haize liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: August 7th, 2020, 6:06 pm There are scores of details that need to emerge before I can get an accurate assessment of LU moving forward.

I hope they don't put Jonathan in that awful position.
Elmer is in no condition to take on the role. Gutierrez makes some sense. Dave Brat would be fine.

I hadn't thought of Turner but it is not a crazy idea. Franklin Graham has a ton on his plate right now. But again he is the type of leader that would make sense. Whoever fills the temporary vacancy needs to be perceived as above reproach spiritually. If it could be a person of color even better. A Francis Chan or Tony Evans would be a powerful statement as well.
I think now would be a good time to get someone who is more spiritually-minded than politically which IMO would eliminate someone like Graham or Brat. Let's get away from controversy for awhile.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
01LUGrad wrote: August 7th, 2020, 7:15 pm Franklin Graham would be the last person they should even consider for this position for all of the reasons Jon listed.
This is why, IMO, we do not need a Franklin Graham:

https://relevantmagazine.com/current/fr ... l-spouses/

This weekend, evangelist Franklin Graham was interviewed by the Associated Press, and began to discuss his support for Pres. Trump.

He then brought up the alleged affair between Donald Trump and adult film star Stormy Daniels that she says took place about a decade ago. Graham said, “I think some of these things — that’s for him and his wife to deal with. I think when the country went after President Clinton, the Republicans, that was a great mistake that should never have happened. And I think this thing with Stormy Daniels and so forth is nobody’s business.”

However, that is a dramatically different stance than he took in 1998, when Clinton was in office and accused of an affair. He wrote for The Wall Street Journal at the time, “If he will lie to or mislead his wife and daughter, those with whom he is most intimate, what will prevent him from doing the same to the American public? Private conduct does have public consequences.”

More of the same hypocrisy many have rightly criticized Evangelicals for. I'm a conservative politically and theologically. We can and should be both...without taking on more baggage. (Not that it would be in the cards anyway).
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: August 7th, 2020, 8:38 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 7th, 2020, 8:29 pm
JK37 wrote: August 7th, 2020, 8:24 pm JJ’s not done. Board didn’t grow a pair. It’s a “leave of absence”. JJ could come back tomorrow.

Temporary place holder will be named, at best. Someone inside. Someone who can easily and willingly return control to JJ. This doesn’t feel permanent at all, so an outside option is a no-go. I doubt the board has even thought about a successor.
Intentionally - criminally - vague. “Steps” could mean anything. Why make a move if naming a successor is the plan and not have a next step ready?

Because you’re not a real board. If the board acted like a real board, it never would’ve gotten this far. I don’t think there’s any way JJ “accepts” it unless it is temporary.

I see too many people here reading all this the way they WANT to.
I was told Wednesday afternoon the Board was going to ask for Jerry's RESIGNATION at the next Board meeting and if he did not resign, would take a vote so I wasn't completely shocked when this came down Friday. I think it's likely the the statement from the NC congressman Wednesday night may have sped up the timeline to make some type of decision.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
No one has mentioned Nasser... you all are getting slow
The University is going to have to decide what they want. Jerry was no academician but dude could raise money like no one’s business. Junior was able to put mechanisms in place that generated revenue but he thought he knew how academics worked So does the University want an Academic minded spiritual leader? Or do the let that role fall to someone else and bring in a Solid Christian who can raise money? I think a lot of house cleaning is going to need to be done but I like option 2. Partially because I think it will mean tenure for Professors and a more friendly work environment. Plus it will keep LU in the news while bringing in the money.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 8th, 2020, 6:20 am No one has mentioned Nasser... you all are getting slow
The University is going to have to decide what they want. Jerry was no academician but dude could raise money like no one’s business. Junior was able to put mechanisms in place that generated revenue but he thought he knew how academics worked So does the University want an Academic minded spiritual leader? Or do the let that role fall to someone else and bring in a Solid Christian who can raise money? I think a lot of house cleaning is going to need to be done but I like option 2. Partially because I think it will mean tenure for Professors and a more friendly work environment. Plus it will keep LU in the news while bringing in the money.
I'm not a fan of tenure. Not at a private Christian University. If you want tenure pursue a public university position.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
As far as Nasser goes, it has appeared he has been one of Jr's enablers over the years but so have a lot of people in senior positions. This is why an outside voice needs to be brought in and an independent investigation needs to be conducted. There are a lot of rumors out there that suggest things are worse than what we even know. I have no idea if that is ture or not but it needs to be looked at before anybody thinks about bringing Jr back.

I fear that this is all semantics and in 6 months time he will be back and nothing will really change. The choices the board make next are crucial for our future and setting a new tone.
flamehunter, Just John liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I suspect (and hope) the reality is somewhere between "It's a leave of absence. He could come back tomorrow" and they are just looking for a replacement before he is dismissed. Several have said "he's had plenty of chances", but I tend to disagree. If you are never held accountable for your actions, you tend to think they are acceptable. The only time I recall anyone on the board calling him out on anything was when Mark DeMoss questioned his decision to support Trump so early, and we all know how that turned out. I am hopeful that a legitimate, robust restoration plan with accountability is being put in place, and praying that JR will take it seriously and get his act together.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Doc would roll over in his grave if Liberty ever offered tenure. 8) Having said that, I'm not against it if handled properly, which means somewhat differently than most places The process would need to involve more than just academics.
LUOrange liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]