Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Just took a gander at the JMU board and most seemed resigned that their Fall 2020 season is not going to happen. UVa picking VMI over them was the gut punch.
By sstaedtler
Sly Fox wrote: August 7th, 2020, 11:20 am Just took a gander at the JMU board and most seemed resigned that their Fall 2020 season is not going to happen. UVa picking VMI over them was the gut punch.
JMU just canceled their season. Doesn't help with recruiting or anything.
ballcoach15 liked this
By sstaedtler
Playing against FCS teams feels like playing against your little brother. There is no upside if you win, it's expected. If you lose, it's embarrassing, and you know your little brother is going to give you his best shot every time.

Isn't it possible all FCS cancels and moves to spring? In that case, wouldn't we have to pick up 2 FBS opponents? If we wait too long for FCS will we lose potential matchups with ODU, Charlotte, East Carolina, Coastal Carolina, as games get filled up?
Last edited by sstaedtler on August 7th, 2020, 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Jonathan Carone
sstaedtler wrote: August 7th, 2020, 3:14 pm Playing against FCS teams feels like playing against your little brother. There is no upside if you win, it's expected. If you lose, it's embarrassing, and you know your little brother is going to give you his best shot every time.
The upside is a win towards bowl eligibility.

When you're an independent, all you have to play for is the bowl. Beating little brother gets one step closer to that.

This is the life we've chosen.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: August 7th, 2020, 11:20 am UVa picking VMI over them was the gut punch.
Sly, is the SoCon doing a full football schedule this fall, or is VMI playing as an independent?
I LOVE that JMU canceled their football season, but I bet Ballcoach is dancing in the street over that news! :pbjtime :woohoo :oldhag
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler wrote: August 7th, 2020, 3:14 pm Playing against FCS teams feels like playing against your little brother. There is no upside if you win, it's expected. If you lose, it's embarrassing, and you know your little brother is going to give you his best shot every time.

Isn't it possible all FCS cancels and moves to spring? In that case, wouldn't we have to pick up 2 FBS opponents? If we wait too long for FCS will we lose potential matchups with ODU, Charlotte, East Carolina, Coastal Carolina, as games get filled up?
Not necessarily. Because there are a lot of other schools with FCS teams on the schedule that would then have openings
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 7th, 2020, 3:26 pm Not necessarily. Because there are a lot of other schools with FCS teams on the schedule that would then have openings
This guy talks like he knows a thing or two about Sport Management. Maybe that WVU degree wasn't a total waste. :wink:
By cruzan_flame13
I know we would rather play 2 FCS games, unfortunately it doesn't look like the FCS will play in the fall. Honestly we should try to get two FBS games; we better start getting used to this since we are building our program. Yes it will make bowl eligibility more challenging, but we should be thankful that we can even play this season(if things doesn't change). Ian should know that this is a value for this challenging time in our lifetime although we want to make a bowl the easiest way possible.
sstaedtler, LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: August 7th, 2020, 3:22 pm
Sly Fox wrote: August 7th, 2020, 11:20 am UVa picking VMI over them was the gut punch.
Sly, is the SoCon doing a full football schedule this fall, or is VMI playing as an independent?
I LOVE that JMU canceled their football season, but I bet Ballcoach is dancing in the street over that news! :pbjtime :woohoo :oldhag
I read in one of my newspapers this morning that a JMU player is transfering. Liberty, VT, UVA and others have offered him. I believe he's a Safety and kick returner.
sstaedtler liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: August 7th, 2020, 3:22 pm
As far as Ballcoach is concerned JMU doesn't exist so he should have no reaction to this news.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: August 7th, 2020, 4:05 pm
As far as Ballcoach is concerned JMU doesn't exist so he should have no reaction to this news.
:rofl

And, of course, Ballcoach can't remember the transfer's name or what paper it was in or provide a link for us.
When an old guy buys 6 papers (no exaggeration), it's hard for him to remember what news was in which paper. :dontgetit :oldhag
Last edited by Cider Jim on August 7th, 2020, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flamehunter liked this
By cruzan_flame13
I heard the UMASS is only alowing students in lab courses to get on campus. Would this affect the football players and other athletes? We should definitely be talking to some other schools like BYu, ODU and ECU just in case.
By cruzan_flame13
cruzan_flame13 wrote: August 7th, 2020, 4:47 pm I heard that UMASS is only allowing students in lab courses to get on campus. Would this affect the football players and other athletes? We should definitely be talking to some other schools like BYu, ODU and ECU just in case.
By LUOrange
I know that to many of you, this may be sacrilegious, but I don't hate JMU. So to me, if we do play this fall, JMU and FCS playing in the spring will be a bonus for college football. I'm looking forward to watching and rooting for them after we've won our second bowl game.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: August 7th, 2020, 4:25 pm
flamehunter wrote: August 7th, 2020, 4:05 pm
:rofl

And, of course, Ballcoach can't remember the transfer's name or what paper it was in or provide a link for us.
When an old buys 6 papers (no exaggeration), it's hard for him to remember what news was in which paper. :dontgetit :oldhag
When talking "recruiting " on message boards, I always try to refrain from mentioning names.
I know his name, high school attended, etc.
By tyndal23
Hopefully we are in talks with ODU for 9/12 or even 9/5 -we can’t wait around until last second on FCS schools to decide - when it is obvious they aren’t going to play in the fall. Am I reading correctly they are letting them play 3 non con games ( $ grab ) in the fall and cone back and play conference only in spring and have playoffs.? That is ridiculous.
sstaedtler liked this
By sstaedtler
Marshall and East Carolina likely moved to Sept. 12th. This takes away a couple possible options. We need to stop waiting on FCS. They aren't going to have a season or play us
Last edited by sstaedtler on August 7th, 2020, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Somebody may have already said it, but with the darlings of the FCS aka North Dakota State and JMU moving football to the spring then watch for all FCS to do the same.

ODU would be a great game for 9/5 or 9/12. I also wouldn't mind UNC-Charlotte or Coastal or even South Alabama. All of these schools look to be available.
By tyndal23
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: August 7th, 2020, 11:39 pm Somebody may have already said it, but with the darlings of the FCS aka North Dakota State and JMU moving football to the spring then watch for all FCS to do the same.

ODU would be a great game for 9/5 or 9/12. I also wouldn't mind UNC-Charlotte or Coastal or even South Alabama. All of these schools look to be available.
Yes - as nice as the 2 FCS rule was - it is ironically the FCS creating a major headache for G5 schools for last second scheduling. Almost to the point where u say “ here is 100k buyout” - go play your spring ball and let us get on with scheduling.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: August 7th, 2020, 10:30 pm Hopefully we are in talks with ODU for 9/12 or even 9/5 -we can’t wait around until last second on FCS schools to decide - when it is obvious they aren’t going to play in the fall. Am I reading correctly they are letting them play 3 non con games ( $ grab ) in the fall and cone back and play conference only in spring and have playoffs.? That is ridiculous.
Why is it ridiculous? Outside-the-box for sure, but it seems like a viable option to me. Playing a full schedule in the Spring would be tough, so conference-only makes sense. The problem with the 3 games in the fall is they will probably not want to play them early, which is when we need them.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
It’s not ridiculous. Most of those schools barely survive with that payout. Imagine giving it up entirely. Schools like Western Carolina fund their entire operations budget with those funds.
olldflame liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]