This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Some things to ponder –

Apparently this occurred on the boats owned by Rick Hendricks – wheels and wheels 1. So, LU pays big bucks to sponsor William Byron, and in return the family gets access to mega expensive yachts to hold some kind of bizarre party where the president ends up with his pants down. They also take the LU jets to get from Lynchburg

Do not forget the others in the video
Trey Falwell – LU executive, and according to some is running the show
Wesley Falwell. I believe he is still a department head in Facilities and on the LCA board of directors
Sam Stone – employee and Jr’s asst.
Kathleen Stone – Sam’s wife and apparently in the employ of Becki (which means she is probably on the LU payroll – that needs to be verified)
Caroline Falwell – still a student?
Are some of the others in the video students as well?

New Title IX rules go into effect for Universities on August 14th. I believe someone in a power position such as president pulling his pants down while hugging a employees wife (or maybe an employee) would be cause for an inquiry. Where is the HR department at LU? How many members of the current LU senior staff know what is going on and choose to enable this behavior and sweep incidents, that may be required to be reported, under the rug? For certain any other employee or student would be severely disciplined. If there was ever an investigation I would not want to be a VP or higher at LU.

As strange as it is to say, this goes far beyond Jr with his pants off. It is a total failure and corruption of the senior leadership and the board at LU.
flameshaw, Just John liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: August 4th, 2020, 9:23 am Some things to ponder –

Apparently this occurred on the boats owned by Rick Hendricks – wheels and wheels 1. So, LU pays big bucks to sponsor William Byron, and in return the family gets access to mega expensive yachts to hold some kind of bizarre party where the president ends up with his pants down. They also take the LU jets to get from Lynchburg

Wesley Falwell. I believe he is still a department head in Facilities and on the LCA board of directors
Kathleen Stone – Sam’s wife and apparently in the employ of Becki (which means she is probably on the LU payroll – that needs to be verified)

New Title IX rules go into effect for Universities on August 14th. I believe someone in a power position such as president pulling his pants down while hugging a employees wife (or maybe an employee) would be cause for an inquiry. Where is the HR department at LU? How many members of the current LU senior staff know what is going on and choose to enable this behavior and sweep incidents, that may be required to be reported, under the rug? For certain any other employee or student would be severely disciplined. If there was ever an investigation I would not want to be a VP or higher at LU.

As strange as it is to say, this goes far beyond Jr with his pants off. It is a total failure and corruption of the senior leadership and the board at LU.
I am 99% sure that K Stone is Becky's assistant, and as such, is being paid by the university. After thinking on this overnight, I am more troubled. I know this has been mentioned before, but the video that got the ECU president fired is much less offensive than the one that Jr. (or someone else in the group) posted. Shouldn't LU have a higher moral standard than a publik skool? I wish I could post that video here, but don't know how. It is very simple to Google.
I am honestly, extremely happy that I spent 3 years at LU back in the day. I am equally as happy, that my degree did not come from LU. This is beyond embarrassing.
Sincerely praying for Jr. and for the university. Poor judgement of this magnitude, should bring severe consequences. I was hoping, that the silence over the last couple of months, since the last debacle would continue, and things might have calmed down some. That doesn't seem to be the case. Very sad.
And yes, this was a celebration of his daughter getting engaged. Still no excuse for the very poor decision to post the video.
Finally, according to the website, Jonathon is still part of the Bored. But knowing the relationship between the two, doubt it will resolve anything. LU needs to return to it's roots IMHO.
Last edited by flameshaw on August 4th, 2020, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just John liked this
flameshaw wrote: August 4th, 2020, 10:50 am
Whatisthetruth wrote: August 4th, 2020, 9:23 am Some things to ponder –

I am 99% sure that K Stone is Becky's assistant, and as such, is being paid by the university. After thinking on this overnight, I am more troubled. I know this has been mentioned before, but the video that got the ECU president fired is much less offensive than the one that Jr. (or someone else in the group) posted. Shouldn't LU have a higher moral standard than a publik skool? I wish I could post that video here, but don't know how. It is very simple to Google.
I am honestly, extremely happy that I spent 3 years at LU back in the day. I am equally as happy, that my degree did not come from LU. This is beyond embarrassing.
Sincerely praying for Jr. and for the university. Poor judgement of this magnitude, should bring severe consequences. I was hoping, that the silence over the last couple of months would continue, and things might have calmed down some. That doesn't seem to be the case. Very sad.
And yes, this was a celebration of his daughter getting engaged. Still no excuse for the very poor decision to post the video.
Finally, according to the website, Jonathon is still part of the Bored. But knowing the relationship between the two, doubt it will resolve anything. LU needs to return to it's roots IMHO.
https://www.wral.com/ecu-interim-chance ... /18667124/

Video and photos included in the article
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Not defending or making excuses but I wonder what the correlation is between his "mini-strokes" several years ago and their effect on a part of the brain that regulates impulse control and judgment. Nevertheless, I'm looking for a quick response from the administrative board to uphold the mission and integrity of the university in some form or fashion.
Purple Haize liked this
In a vacuum, if this were a one-off incident where he posted something online he shouldn't have, I'd be able to shrug it off and chalk it up to bad judgment. He could apologize for it and we'd move on.

The problem is we're now into double digit incidents like this. It's proven to be a pattern of bad judgment that runs in line with the responsibilities of the president of Liberty University.

Jerry's statement when talking about hiring Gill and Edwards is the epitome of who he has become:

“People who should be natural allies, and always were, have been divided in the last few decades,” Falwell explained. “Through the Falkirk Center, through Liberty, we are going to work to reunite people who have been artificially divided by the establishment politicians, the ones who have shown that the only way they can keep power is by dividing and conquering. We’re not going to let that happen anymore. We’re going to bring people together who agree on most of the issues — not all, but most — such as school vouchers, pro-life, and the Second Amendment. Those are issues we all agree on, but we’ve been divided by evil, corrupt, establishment politicians. We’re going to change the country by reuniting those groups.
Things Jerry mentioned:

• The second amendment
  • School vouchers
  • Pro-life
  • Establishment politicians
Things Jerry didn't mention:

• The Gospel
  • Christ followers
  • Jesus
He even mentioned the Falkirk Center before he mentioned Liberty University.

It's obvious politics are his first love at this point. If that's the case - great! Resign and go be a politician or a lobbyist. There's nothing wrong with having a new career you want to go after.

But you can't be a politician and the president of Liberty University. They're two competing ideas at this point.

We don't need someone who's goal is to train politicians who use Jesus to get what they want.

We need someone who will train champions for Christ.
Baybird, flamehunter, Just John and 2 others liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I agree with his statement 100%.

Liberty is not a church JC. Its a liberal arts universities promoting a biblical worldview. And I'm very comfortable with that. Christians should not let politicians divide us by race. Look at what each party is promoting and vote your Christian values.
Last edited by TH Spangler on August 4th, 2020, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The gospel unites us, not the second amendment or school vouchers.

A biblical worldview does not mean you think carrying guns is a right or that parents should get money to send their kids to private school.

I can guarantee you I have different political views on the three things Jerry mentioned yet I still approach the world through a biblical worldview.

Political issues will always be debated. Even the disciples had wildly different political views within their circle.

It was the gospel and following Jesus that united them and brought them together.

Jerry has it backward.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Liberty has always been a place for conservatives, it is nothing new but what I have the biggest problem with besides his behavior, is how God is an afterthought in a lot of Jerry's statements. By itself, I probably wouldn't make a big deal of it but combine that with his behavior and we have a recipe for someone who shouldn't be running a Christian university where God must be the purpose first and foremost, not poltics.

Sr was involved in poltics while I was a student but you never doubted his commitment to Christ. I get it, Jr isn't his dad but that doesn't get him off the hook. Christ must always be first.
sstaedtler, flameshaw, Just John and 2 others liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:34 pm The gospel unites us, not the second amendment or school vouchers.

A biblical worldview does not mean you think carrying guns is a right or that parents should get money to send their kids to private school.

I can guarantee you I have different political views on the three things Jerry mentioned yet I still approach the world through a biblical worldview.

Political issues will always be debated. Even the disciples had wildly different political views within their circle.

It was the gospel and following Jesus that united them and brought them together.

Jerry has it backward.
You conveniently left out right to life. :(
TH Spangler wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:52 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:34 pm The gospel unites us, not the second amendment or school vouchers.

Jerry has it backward.
Because that's the one most Christians agree on. I have a different view than Jerry on how to best guarantee that life, but I am pro-life across all my politics.
By sstaedtler
While I agree with Falwell' statement in general on vouchers, pro-life, and 2nd Amendment, I also agree that the first thing out of his mouth is ALWAYS political. I want the President of a Christian University to think in terms of spiritual first. And like others have said, this isn't a one time incident but a pattern of bad behavior with Falwell. He's embarrassing the University and needs to be removed. Put him in a financial advisory position, but he can't be President.
thepostman, flamehunter, Just John and 2 others liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 4th, 2020, 5:07 pm
TH Spangler wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Jerry has it backward.
Because that's the one most Christians agree on. I have a different view than Jerry on how to best guarantee that life, but I am pro-life across all my politics.
In His Own Words: “Students aren’t required to be Christians or conservatives to attend here. But we attract a lot of Christian conservatives as students, just like Harvard attracts liberal students.”

“It surprises me when people call me an evangelical leader. I am president of the world’s largest Christian university, but I’m an administrator and an attorney.”

Let me ask you this, how did you like the way Nebraska and Youngstown State treated Ron Brown? The first amendment needs defending more than ever and school choice could turn the education system around in short order.

I'm not going to go around and around with you. We'll just have a agree to disagree :lol:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
You're missing the point, which unfortunately is par for the course with you. Let me try to explain again.

The school has always been intertwined with politics. That is what it is, but the president of the university needs to make Christ the main focus.

Again, if it weren't for Jr's pattern the statement wouldn't have much meaning but it is just a series of things that makes it clear we are now a political school first as a tool to move forward Jr's political aspirations and a Christian school 2nd when it was always the other way around before.
Just John liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: August 4th, 2020, 3:43 pm Not defending or making excuses but I wonder what the correlation is between his "mini-strokes" several years ago and their effect on a part of the brain that regulates impulse control and judgment. Nevertheless, I'm looking for a quick response from the administrative board to uphold the mission and integrity of the university in some form or fashion.
I am sure it has nothing to do with his "mini strokes" .
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I know, in the past I have questioned just how much jr has done for the university vs being strapped onto a rocket bound for the moon. But even if you think he, solely, is responsible for every success we've seen you've got to stop thinking there's nobody else who can do the job. There's probably hundreds of Christian businessmen, attorneys, administrators, etc who can do just as well and possibly better, who aren't 24/7 walking embarrassments. Why wouldn't you want the best person for the job? Or do you think the best possible person just coincidentally has the same name as the founder? Oh, and the guy who is the best next, also has the same name.

Ironically, nepotism seems very much anti-capitalism, conservatism, etc.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: August 4th, 2020, 12:04 pm After seeing the engagement pictures I think I figured it out. Future son in law got pranked and we got trolled by who ever posted it on facebook. :oops: A twofer :lol:
How did he get pranked? How does that prank end up with junior hugging a lady not his wife with his pants unbuttoned and his zipper down? It appears in your world Junior can do no wrong.
Do you really believe the straw men arguments you set up?

No one wants us to be Bob Jones or Pensacola.

We want the world’s largest Christian university who exists to train champions for Christ to be led by someone who is interested in Jesus more than politics. He doesn’t have to be a pastor, but he should be more concerned with our unity in Christ than our unity in politics.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 4th, 2020, 8:22 pm
TH Spangler wrote: August 4th, 2020, 12:04 pm After seeing the engagement pictures I think I figured it out. Future son in law got pranked and we got trolled by who ever posted it on facebook. :oops: A twofer :lol:
How did he get pranked? How does that prank end up with junior hugging a lady not his wife with his pants unbuttoned and his zipper down? It appears in your world Junior can do no wrong.
Just a guess on my part. I knew a guy that got advance notice a young man was coming to dinner and planned to ask permission to marry his daughter and his family pulled something similar. If you look at the video, someone clipped short snippets together, added a title and music. Now making its way to FB is another thing. But Jerry can be a bit of a troll :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: August 4th, 2020, 8:34 pm
Purple Haize wrote: August 4th, 2020, 8:22 pm
Just a guess on my part. I knew a guy that got advance notice a young man was coming to dinner and planned to ask permission to marry his daughter and his family pulled something similar. If you look at the video, someone clipped short snippets together, added a title and music. Now making its way to FB is another thing. But Jerry can be a bit of a troll :lol:
That’s the weakest argument you have ever put forth.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]