Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

tyndal23 wrote: July 29th, 2020, 8:42 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:52 pm
tyndal23 wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:34 pm

I don’t care about cornering the market with Protestants - I want to corner the market with conservative recruits nationally whose parents don’t want them going to re-education camps and who want to play P5 level ball vs P5 level teams 3-5 of whom play at LU every year and who bring eyeballs which in turn bring big tv contracts that we don’t share with 10-14 other schools. Getting an invite from a conference in football isn’t on my agenda. Getting the ACC to informally schedule us and count us as a Power 5 game for their members is on my agenda and 100 times a more realistic goal.
This is a long term vision —I think people were looking at it as a short term goal. For one, we are heading in that direction were politics is showing their true colours; The left showing it more and hoping to succeed at all costs. Name brands is where it's at, even when those schools are brainwashed facilities. We are still a Christian school, so it will not simple to reach that goal when Jesus is not favored in our society. Christian kids want the name brand and immediate benefits; not much kids would like to take an opportunity and establish a legendary status that's not a blue blood or "grandfather" university. I will say that it's not impossible if money becomes very tight and presidents/commissioners become desperate if matters get worse.
I was responding to people talking about LU to SEC / ACC due to colleges going broke - that is ridiculous.

As for players only wanting to go to Blue Bloods - take a peek at UNC recruiting class. Things happen real quick now. Baylor had 1 coach and 1 player pull them from dead last to top 5 within 3 years.

( btw it has been more than 30 days so here is the monthly message ) What is also ridiculous is thinking going into a G 5 conference is a win for Liberty ( in football ) and a critical step for us before ever reaching the long term goal of being a ND. It is nothing more than wasting time. We have the exact things now that we would have 25 years from now playing in a G5 conference and would be no closer to ND than we are today. If JR wants to keep talking about it - then lay out the plan and go for it OR stop talking about it and let’s pray that G5 gets their own playoff and ends the idiotic low tier bowl stuff and isn’t the ONLY NCAA grouping In any sport at any level that has no chance to play for or win a NC. If that happens, sign me up for the Sunbelt baby.
This is where you are 100% incorrect but fail to recognize it even when it’s pointed out to you time and time again
:beatinghorse :beatinghorse :beatinghorse
LUOrange wrote: July 29th, 2020, 10:29 pm The P5 schools will be fine in the long run. Heck, all of FBS's schedules ere thrown out of whack because the P5's are trying to keep as much of the TV and gate money as possible. There's no other explanation of going from a regular 12 games to a conference only +1 rivalry/in state game only 10 or 11 game schedule. So I don't see us ending up in the ACC or SEC, we're simply not there yet. Especially, with our other sports in the ASUN. I do see a much better possibility of the AAC or a new regional G5 conference. I wouldn't turn down either. With the AAC, we'd definitely have to go all in. With a new regional G5. we could toy with a ND style agreement, but we're still better off joining for the sake of our other sports. Many of you may disagree, but I don't think long term success of our other sports is sustainable in the ASUN, especially MBB. We need out of the ASUN sooner than later.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. We join the A-10(even do a duel deal with Lipscomb) while the other sports that are not part the conference can be associates of another conference(ex: field hockey with the Big East). Keep our football program independent and add a good promoter firm that can expand our platforn in a more exciting way. We continue to grow and we have basketball in a top conference while other sports continue to grow and succeed.
ballcoach15 wrote: July 30th, 2020, 6:23 am ASUN is a better conference than A 10. The A 10 is nothing but a northern basketball conference.
Other than the fact that you like making road trips to Florida for softball, I fail to see the relevance of North or South. Overall, the A-10 footprint is closer to Lynchburg than the ASUN.

As far as the relative strengths, with football out of the equation, the sports most people care about would be men's and women's basketball, baseball, and softball. Here are the conference ratings for A-10 and ASUN in those sports.

Men's basketball:
A-10......................... #8
ASUN....................... #23

Women's basketball:
A-10......................... #12
ASUN....................... #15

Baseball:
A-10......................... #20
ASUN....................... #13

Softball:
A-10......................... #22
ASUN....................... #13

Your personal feelings aside, for the VAST MAJORITY of Liberty fans, MBB is far and away the priority. It isn't close. The A-10 would be a HUGE step up. In WBB, the only reason the ASUN is close is FGCU.

Yes, the ASUN is strong in the ball and bat sports, but the reality is that most years an NCAA bid will require a conference tournament win, which would actually make our path easier in the A-10. Dot has made it clear she plans on playing killer non-conference schedules like she did this past year for the foreseeable future, and I'm sure there will be early season tournaments in FL and other warm weather locations you can go to.

Bottom line, the A-10 would enhance our profile and exposure enormously where it matters most.
ballcoach15 wrote: July 30th, 2020, 11:32 am Good research on A-10.

I think LU's footprint points in more of a "southern geographical azimuth", than a northern one.

When combined, football, baseball and softball trumps basketball, in my opinion.
How does football have anything to do with this? Neither conference sponsors it. We would be independent either way. As to baseball and softball trumping MBB and WBB? Only in ballcoach world. :roll:

You apparently don't know what the term "footprint" means.
Purple Haize liked this
olldflame wrote: July 30th, 2020, 11:43 am
ballcoach15 wrote: July 30th, 2020, 11:32 am Good research on A-10.

I think LU's footprint points in more of a "southern geographical azimuth", than a northern one.

When combined, football, baseball and softball trumps basketball, in my opinion.
How does football have anything to do with this? Neither conference sponsors it. We would be independent either way. As to baseball and softball trumping MBB and WBB? Only in ballcoach world. :roll:

You apparently don't know what the term "footprint" means.
He doesn’t know what a lot of words mean. And by adding football he tops the scales.
Football Men’s Soccer and Volleyball trumps Softball
Heck Hockey trumps softball
Football alone trumps just about all other sports combined.
The A10 and Big East are clearly dream conferences for us. I don't think it's hard to love the idea of playing Richmond, VCU, Mason, GW, and Davidson regularly (all easy drives as well) or Georgetown, Seton Hall, Nova, and Butler vs. Stetson, Kennesaw, and Jacksonville. It's really not an argument.
I don't see A-10 or Big East as a "dream conference" for LU. Even if we were to gain a little something in basketball, we would lose that gain in baseball and softball. I'm not sure about other sports. Being in a southern geographical conference is better than a northern one.
ballcoach15 wrote: July 30th, 2020, 2:25 pm I don't see A-10 or Big East as a "dream conference" for LU. Even if we were to gain a little something in basketball, we would lose that gain in baseball and softball. Two sports that don’t garner a lot of fan support or revenue. I'm not sure about other sports. Being in a southern geographical conference is better than a northern one.
FIFY
Liberty22 liked this
If y’all thought getting into the SBC was tough...Guffaw at the possibility of an A-10 invite. Academic “prestige” still matters to that crowd - don’t see it happening. AAC all sports is more realistic than A10 sans football.

In other news...I know this is wildly unpopular on this board - but I’m still a fan of FBS independent football for anything other than the AAC or better. We’re outgrown the SBC and CUSA. COVID only furthers the divide. Thankfully we’re part of the haves, not have nots, and need to be with similar programs.
LUOrange, sstaedtler liked this
Logic wrote: July 31st, 2020, 2:53 pm If y’all thought getting into the SBC was tough...Guffaw at the possibility of an A-10 invite. Academic “prestige” still matters to that crowd - don’t see it happening. AAC all sports is more realistic than A10 sans football.

In other news...I know this is wildly unpopular on this board - but I’m still a fan of FBS independent football for anything other than the AAC or better. We’re outgrown the SBC and CUSA. COVID only furthers the divide. Thankfully we’re part of the haves, not have nots, and need to be with similar programs.
I don't disagree at all. "Someone" said that we are better off in the ASUN, and I couldn't leave that unchallenged.
Logic wrote: July 31st, 2020, 2:53 pm If y’all thought getting into the SBC was tough...Guffaw at the possibility of an A-10 invite. Academic “prestige” still matters to that crowd - don’t see it happening. AAC all sports is more realistic than A10 sans football.

That's why I promote academia especially funding more on research(although I believe academia has been going in a more pseudo-theoretical direction in U.S. universities for decades). I hope that is a plan that Will come to fruition in the future. I'm just saying that we should take a chance in the upcoming years . I will agree that there's no point for us going all in with SBC or CUSA.
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 31st, 2020, 3:13 pm

That's why I promote academia especially funding more on research(although I believe academia has been going in a more pseudo-theoretical direction in U.S. universities for decades). I hope that is a plan that Will come to fruition in the future. I'm just saying that we should take a chance in the upcoming years . I will agree that there's no point for us going all in with SBC or CUSA.
I know academics and research are areas that have received a lot of investment in recent years. Has there been much progress on the "academic prestige" side of things in the past several years?

All I know is this is a talking point people like to use to hate on this school and it holds us back when it comes to conference affiliation (among other things).
Ill flame wrote: August 1st, 2020, 2:56 amI know academics and research are areas that have received a lot of investment in recent years. Has there been much progress on the "academic prestige" side of things in the past several years?
If the first 47 years of Liberty's existence, we had ZERO students earn Fulbright awards to study overseas on the US government's nickle.

Last year, LU had 2 Fulbright award winners who studied in Brazil and Spain. This year (2019-2020), LU had 6 Fulbright award winners who are studying in Australia, Malaysia, South Korea, Taiwan, Slovak Republic, and Jordan.

All 8 Fulbrighters were Honors Program students or alumni. Study

https://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm? ... MID=379436
SumItUp, ballcoach15, LUOrange and 1 others liked this
Cider Jim wrote: August 1st, 2020, 7:13 pm
Ill flame wrote: August 1st, 2020, 2:56 amI know academics and research are areas that have received a lot of investment in recent years. Has there been much progress on the "academic prestige" side of things in the past several years?
If the first 47 years of Liberty's existence, we had ZERO students earn Fulbright awards to study overseas on the US government's nickle.

Last year, LU had 2 Fulbright award winners who studied in Brazil and Spain. This year (2019-2020), LU had 6 Fulbright award winners who are studying in Australia, Malaysia, South Korea, Taiwan, Slovak Republic, and Jordan.

All 8 Fulbrighters were Honors Program students or alumni. Study

https://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm? ... MID=379436
While incredibly awesome also irrelevant. But unless it has changed LU will alway be a “Teaching Institution”. No emphasis on research, no “Publish or Perish”. Nothing wrong with that at all. But not what P5 schools generally look for in members. It’s what is killing WVU.
Regarding football, I think I'd rather stay Independent also. We can play 3 Power 5's a year or more in the future. You join the Sun Belt or Conference USA, most of them only get to play 1. I would think that can help us in recruiting against G5's. Sure I'd like a conference title game and rivalries, but I don't think joining those two conferences really enhances Liberty football much. I'd join the AAC or better also. Clearly, in terms of the other sports, especially basketball, we need to get out of the A-Sun into a better conference.
I think we can all agree in part, that Jerry held our athletic programs back from conference invites in the past. Certainly not until his resignation and the fallout from that is over, but any thoughts that we may get more favorably consideration now? Would we rather just stay independent and focus on an upgrade for our olympic sports? Just thinking out loud on this one.
chris leedlelee liked this
bluedevilflame wrote: August 25th, 2020, 10:49 am I think we can all agree in part, that Jerry held our athletic programs back from conference invites in the past. Certainly not until his resignation and the fallout from that is over, but any thoughts that we may get more favorably consideration now? Would we rather just stay independent and focus on an upgrade for our olympic sports? Just thinking out loud on this one.
Not sure exactly which conference would want us, but we really will have negotiating power with what I believe will be a major realignment post-Covid for college football conferences. The G5 conferences will all be cash strapped and be willing to take on LU if it means staying out of the red financially.
sstaedtler wrote: August 1st, 2020, 9:09 pm Regarding football, I think I'd rather stay Independent also. We can play 3 Power 5's a year or more in the future. You join the Sun Belt or Conference USA, most of them only get to play 1. I would think that can help us in recruiting against G5's. Sure I'd like a conference title game and rivalries, but I don't think joining those two conferences really enhances Liberty football much. I'd join the AAC or better also. Clearly, in terms of the other sports, especially basketball, we need to get out of the A-Sun into a better conference.
You could schedule 3 P5's a year playing in a conference. You're in charge of your OOC schedule. Not the league. Plus you'd be eligible for the NY6 Access Bowl.

With Jerry looking like he's on his way out I'd love for you all to be looked at as a more acceptable conference addition.

I think a league based around Marshall, Liberty, JMU, ODU, App State, and Charlotte could be really fun.
MUsince96 wrote:
sstaedtler wrote: August 1st, 2020, 9:09 pm Regarding football, I think I'd rather stay Independent also. We can play 3 Power 5's a year or more in the future. You join the Sun Belt or Conference USA, most of them only get to play 1. I would think that can help us in recruiting against G5's. Sure I'd like a conference title game and rivalries, but I don't think joining those two conferences really enhances Liberty football much. I'd join the AAC or better also. Clearly, in terms of the other sports, especially basketball, we need to get out of the A-Sun into a better conference.
You could schedule 3 P5's a year playing in a conference. You're in charge of your OOC schedule. Not the league. Plus you'd be eligible for the NY6 Access Bowl.

With Jerry looking like he's on his way out I'd love for you all to be looked at as a more acceptable conference addition.

I think a league based around Marshall, Liberty, JMU, ODU, App State, and Charlotte could be really fun.
I'd toss in ECU, Coastal and maybe a MTSU in the mix. That'd be a lot of fun!
chris leedlelee liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]