If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

The NFL team formerly known as the Redskins will go by the Washington Football Team for the 2020 season, giving the organization time to choose a new, full-time name.

The club announced the placeholder name Thursday, ahead of the start of training camp next week.

“The decision to use ‘Washington Football Team’ for this season allows the franchise the ability to undertake an in-depth branding process to properly include player, alumni, fan, community and sponsor input,” the team said in a statement. “To date, we have been pleased to see so many people putting forward their vision of what the new name and design should be on their social media channels and we look forward to including their feedback as this process progresses.”
Washington will keep its burgundy and gold colors and replace the Indian head logo on helmets with a player’s jersey number. All references to the Redskins name and logo will be removed from the team's headquarters in Ashburn, Virginia, and FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland.
https://wset.com/news/nation-world/ex-r ... 020-season
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 2:27 pm Well there ya go. They did the smart thing.
As a direct descendant of a Cherokee Indian female, who was part of the Trail of Tears march, my opinion is that it is one of the top 10 stupidest things in sports. That won't last for long, every day these sports teams are trying to out-do the ignorance of the day before. They seem to take it as a challenge. BTW, I cancelled my NFL and MLB packages yesterday. Have been with them since day one on both.
You can disagree about the name change, but if they're going to change it (which they've decided to do), the smart way to do it was to have a temporary name for this year so they could do the brand development needed in order to roll it out the right way. Six weeks is nowhere near long enough to rebrand an NFL team.
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 3:53 pm You can disagree about the name change, but if they're going to change it (which they've decided to do), the smart way to do it was to have a temporary name for this year so they could do the brand development needed in order to roll it out the right way. Six weeks is nowhere near long enough to rebrand an NFL team.
The smart way to do it was to actually already have a name and branding campaign ready to go when you make your initial announcement
Ideally, yes. But when you're forced to do it after refusing to for 15 years, you don't have a backup plan. Given the situation, this was the best decision they could've made as opposed to forcing a new name and trying to get it all done in time for the season.
I can be down with giving the marketing dept credit for not screwing this up but the organization as a whole? Nah.

This organization treats their employees terribly (which is slowly starting to come out and there is much more to come) and have made missteps for years under the "leadership" of Dan Snyder. They finally don't make total fools of themselves by actually listening to their employees for a change.
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
RubberMallet wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 11:51 am on the name change, i don't care. I think on the surface, redskin seems pretty duragatory. sure there are reservation schools that call themselves the redskins, but its kind of like that N word thing.

My biggest beef is the over politicization of sports. nba courts and being able to put invidiual social messages on jerseys is going to end badly for these leagues. I think people have had 4 months of sports being taken away from them and they survived. I think the leagues think we need them waaay more than we actually do and my guess is people will tune out. The leagues will just chalk it up to the weirdness of the season (shortened, modified rules, etc etc) but they'll be mistaken. It will come back eventualy but initially it will be a bloodletting.
The target market of the NBA isn't a bunch of old and middle-aged white guys who worship Trump and think the black lives matter movement is terrorism.
oh yes it is. look up in the stands. its middle aged white people en mass. viewership skews minority but old middle aged white guys are still a good chunk of their fan base. They aren't heavily targeted for sure but outside of communist china who'll they'll bend over backwards for, its a very important demographic of wealth they need.

For football its a very heavy demographic targeted.

If these leagues factor that into to revenues and realize they are going to lose money on the deal and are ok with that have at it. thats what makes the US great. eventually you have to pay the piper and my guess they won't be ok with it.
Last edited by RubberMallet on July 27th, 2020, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
this is horribly bad planning by the franchise. anyone with half a brain new this was coming. To not already have a name in your back pocket is stupid. I do want a jersey though.
RubberMallet wrote: July 24th, 2020, 6:07 pm this is horribly bad planning by the franchise. anyone with half a brain new this was coming. To not already have a name in your back pocket is stupid. I do want a jersey though.
I’m glad I bought a mini Redskins helmet when I was in Indiana! But I’m totally gonna buy a wTf shirt
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 24th, 2020, 9:48 pm I think most Washington fans will continue to wear their Redskins stuff. I know I will.
Any fans wearing racist Redskins gear should be BANNED from the the stadium for life!!! (using Ballcoach's usual logic). :nono
olldflame, thepostman, alabama24 and 1 others liked this
I was watching a documentary and some indigenous people were featured. During their interview what were they wearing? A Redskins hat. I laughed. Leave it to white people to be offended for what they perceive another race should be offended about. I don't care either way but thought it summed up 2020 and recent events pretty well.

Also, I heard an interview with the new Business Ops President. Brilliant guy. Dan doesn't deserve people this good. Hope he's able to build his football resume enough to go somewhere else after Dan's done trying to wreck his career.
chris leedlelee liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]