This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Wasn’t Roanoke originally Big Lick. Maybe we could use that?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 11th, 2020, 9:24 am Seriously, I think a name change would great. Totally unrelated, town was name after a man named Lynch and shamfull lynching are it the areas history. Unfortunate.

How about Seven Hills, Virginia. Has a nice ring to it. I can hear it now. The Ole Miss Rebels are traveling to Seven Hills Virginia to face the Liberty Flames. Actually Ole Miss might want to think about a new team name asap!
The Hotty Toddys!
TH Spangler liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 11th, 2020, 5:42 am
JK37 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 10:47 pm Tip of your brown nose?

JK, you should be suspended from message board. When you coached, you probably led conference in technical fouls, considering your lack of sportsmanship.
I can’t tell if you’re saying this tongue in cheek or if I seriously offended you. I’ve grown to like you for who you are and what you bring to this message board, even if we often disagree. We do occasionally agree! :D I made a joke about you brown-nosing, because always siding with JJ is kind of your thing. Some others, too.

So if I genuinely offended you, I apologize. Wasn’t my intent. No mod told me to apologize either. And if one of them finds my comment offensive and removes me from the board...ok.

For what it’s worth, my count of T’s as a player was 3. My count as a coach was 2. And with a father who was a college and high school official for 20+ years, and with several close personal friends who are/were basketball officials, I wasn’t proud of a single one I received.

Not that anyone cares, but I don’t miss coaching in the least. I’ve been asked a couple times to come back in different capacities. Not ready yet. I may be back on a sideline at some point, but never again at the college level. 13 years at four schools was more than enough.
ballcoach15 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 11th, 2020, 9:42 am Wasn’t Roanoke originally Big Lick. Maybe we could use that?
I had to look that one up 😀
Roanoke might need it again. You have wonder when places named after indian chief's come into question. Roanoke, Roanoke Island, Manteo, Croatian, Chowan and about 100 more. Are they okay.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: July 11th, 2020, 9:07 am He made a point of saying the negative connotations of Lynchburg were part of the reason for changing the school's name. That's not how I recall it. At least from a non-insider perspective, that was presented as being all about avoiding confusion with Lynchburg College, while emphasizing the school's focus on patriotism..
Jerry is certainly way off base on the name change of the school, and I have no doubt that he doesn't mind twisting that around. The issue, as you stated is true... Issues with Lynchburg College made the change inevitable. Don't forget, when LCA was founded, it was considered a segregation academy and racism was alive and well. There weren't issues with the name of the city.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: July 11th, 2020, 11:26 am
olldflame wrote: July 11th, 2020, 9:07 am He made a point of saying the negative connotations of Lynchburg were part of the reason for changing the school's name. That's not how I recall it. At least from a non-insider perspective, that was presented as being all about avoiding confusion with Lynchburg College, while emphasizing the school's focus on patriotism..
Jerry is certainly way off base on the name change of the school, and I have no doubt that he doesn't mind twisting that around. The issue, as you stated is true... Issues with Lynchburg College made the change inevitable. Don't forget, when LCA was founded, it was considered a segregation academy and racism was alive and well. There weren't issues with the name of the city.
Unlike many other segregation academies, the school became racially integrated two years after its opening.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: July 11th, 2020, 10:24 am

JK, you should be suspended from message board. When you coached, you probably led conference in technical fouls, considering your lack of sportsmanship.
I can’t tell if you’re saying this tongue in cheek or if I seriously offended you. I’ve grown to like you for who you are and what you bring to this message board, even if we often disagree. We do occasionally agree! :D I made a joke about you brown-nosing, because always siding with JJ is kind of your thing. Some others, too.

So if I genuinely offended you, I apologize. Wasn’t my intent. No mod told me to apologize either. And if one of them finds my comment offensive and removes me from the board...ok.

For what it’s worth, my count of T’s as a player was 3. My count as a coach was 2. And with a father who was a college and high school official for 20+ years, and with several close personal friends who are/were basketball officials, I wasn’t proud of a single one I received.

Not that anyone cares, but I don’t miss coaching in the least. I’ve been asked a couple times to come back in different capacities. Not ready yet. I may be back on a sideline at some point, but never again at the college level. 13 years at four schools was more than enough.
Good post. I am proud to say I never got a technical foul as an assistant basketball coach in about 14 seasons. I came very close several times. As softball coach, I never got ejected, though I came within 1 or 2 words a lot. Especially when "discussing balls & strikes".

(If I were 30 years younger, I'd legally change my name to Falwell)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: July 11th, 2020, 1:46 pm
flamehunter wrote: July 11th, 2020, 1:31 pm You could just ask TF to adopt you.
“This kind of outside-the-box thinking will get you promoted.”
Wow, he could be HMO's big brother!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts

Lightweight. I got 2 last year. Totally didn’t deserve 1. The other I’m not sure I deserved but I certainly earned it :D
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: July 11th, 2020, 2:14 pm
JK37 wrote: July 11th, 2020, 1:46 pm
flamehunter wrote: July 11th, 2020, 1:31 pm You could just ask TF to adopt you.
“This kind of outside-the-box thinking will get you promoted.”
Wow, he could be HMO's big brother!
There’s a joke that goes over half the heads here.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 11th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Lightweight. I got 2 last year. Totally didn’t deserve 1. The other I’m not sure I deserved but I certainly earned it :D
I have no doubt that true!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The guy who got me the first time did like 10 of our games the rest of the year. We never had any problems. He even kinda said he probably shouldn’t have stuck me. I’m an easy coach to officiate if you give me effort
By bluedevilflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 11th, 2020, 9:24 am Seriously, I think a name change would great. Totally unrelated, town was name after a man named Lynch and shamfull lynching are it the areas history. Unfortunate.

How about Seven Hills, Virginia. Has a nice ring to it. I can hear it now. The Ole Miss Rebels are traveling to Seven Hills Virginia to face the Liberty Flames. Actually Ole Miss might want to think about a new team name asap!
Oh that storm is coming for Ole Miss, not a matter of if at this point its when. They could get ahead of it and go the Star Wars rebel route, maybe give their shark mascot a lightsaber or something!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Oh that storm is coming for Ole Miss.
:cry: Crybaby :cry:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 14th, 2020, 5:42 pm I miss HMO on here. There I said it.

Well, you’ve been ill so allowances will be given :D :D
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 14th, 2020, 10:40 pm Liberty, VA sounds good.
Ballcoach scores with the POST OF THE YEAR!!! :clapping :clapping :clapping
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: July 15th, 2020, 7:55 am
Ballcoach scores with the POST OF THE YEAR!!! :clapping :clapping :clapping
It’s also my cynical thought of what’s behind Juniors name change motivation
adam42381 liked this
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Liberty University
University of Lynchburg --> University of Liberty
Virginia University of Lynchburg --> Virginia University of Liberty
flamehunter liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: July 15th, 2020, 10:49 am
Liberty University
University of Lynchburg --> University of Liberty
Virginia University of Lynchburg --> Virginia University of Liberty
Which will prompt JFJR to change the name of our great school to Falwell U.
Purple Haize liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]