This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

TIMSCAR20 wrote: July 9th, 2020, 5:57 pm
alabama24 wrote: July 9th, 2020, 4:03 pm
TIMSCAR20 wrote: July 9th, 2020, 2:53 pm Not sure if I'm back but I wanted to come on and read if there was any progress. I can say I was somewhat pleased with the discussion for the most part. At least there is a willingness to discuss issues.
I hope you are back!
We shall see. 2 kids and 2 jobs make it tough. I'm in quarantine now after my trip to Indianapolis for TBT so I can't interact with the family for 14 days.
This is just my unit but for anybody traveling on official business they are being told to quarentine themselves for a week after they return prior to being tested because if you get tested right away it may still come back as false negative. Or at least that is what our medical team is saying/has decided. Due to our mission, they are being overly cautious but that is just one other perspective.
TIMSCAR20, alabama24 liked this
olldflame wrote: July 10th, 2020, 6:52 am 14 days quarantined from your own family? Why? Do you have the virus? If you don't know, get tested. If it's negative, hug your kids and kiss your wife.
I dunno. Maybe he sees this as a 14 day vacation? :D
thepostman wrote: July 10th, 2020, 7:05 am This is just my unit but for anybody traveling on official business they are being told to quarentine themselves for a week after they return prior to being tested because if you get tested right away it may still come back as false negative. Or at least that is what our medical team is saying/has decided. Due to our mission, they are being overly cautious but that is just one other perspective.
One week makes more sense, and I suspect, as you said, that is "erring on the side of caution".
olldflame wrote: July 10th, 2020, 6:52 am 14 days quarantined from your own family? Why? Do you have the virus? If you don't know, get tested. If it's negative, hug your kids and kiss your wife.
I have a test next Wednesday and I believe it will be 5 days or so before I get the results. The quarantine is not my idea but it was the only way I could get released into the world to work for ESPN. If it wasn't a once in a lifetime opportunity I would have passed. As it goes, I made TV history as the 1st Basketball Analyst to call live games on TV since the shutdown. Also we were on in 197 countries. I couldn't pass that up.

My hotel was a hotbed for the virus though. There was a softball tournament, a baseball tournament and a girls basketball tournament all staying in my sold out hotel. Not a mask among them. The elavator and lobby situation was a real mine field.

As the sole breadwinner of the family I can't afford to get the virus. Also I might not survive it at my age and co-morbidities.

I feel like I was careful enough but you never know.
Oldflame I think 1 week is good too but I we are being overly cautious. Not really that different lifestyle really. I work in my office upstairs all day and I sleep in the guest suite downstairs. Both have bathrooms. I use the front door and porch and have access to the front yard, back yard, side yard and the driveway basketball hoop. Also I go on long walks listening to music.

Purple: Vacation? :P :P :P I guess it is sort of. I get all my food brought to me and I still get to play with the kids at a distance. They also call me on the intercom/home phone which they find fun but I find annoying :D Having little kids that are as easy as they are has been a blessing though. They are no where near as spoiled as their peers. I can't imagine trying to entertain them every minute of every day like I see parents around us trying to do.
TIMSCAR20 wrote: July 9th, 2020, 2:53 pm Gentlemen, I just created a new account as SCAR keep's locking me out. I find it somewhat amusing to read a discussion by a bunch of white guys talking about race relations :D . Kudos to Jon, Posty, Rubber M. and Lynchburg Wildcat. You guys may not get EVERYTHING perfect but none of us do. At least you have more open minds about LISTENING to those of us who have to deal with race on a daily basis.

I feel like the general feeling on this board and in society is that the justice system is broken. It is working exactly how it was designed. Some feel it is too far gone and some feel like the protesters' flaws are way more important to criticize than the actual injustices. Lot of energy spent on confederate statues. 100% true that they were put up to intimidate black folks. People focus on the KKK but the United States government and its states and local governments have done it's fair share of targeting black folks since Reconstruction (Red Lining, Jim Crow Laws, black codes, Tuskegee experiments, exclusion from federal financial relief like the GI Bill, The New Deal etc.). Not to mention voter suppression, voter intimidation and the school to prison pipeline.

You can choose to ignore these facts and focus on what blacks can do for themselves to fix the issues. But when the rules are ALL written to stop you and imprison you for profit and curtail your ability to collect wealth via home ownership, employment, etc, it makes it nearly impossible to get out of the cycle of poverty. Folks also talk about black on black crime while ignoring white on white crime and other races as well are at virtually the same rate. The facts are that crimes are committed against those in close proximity to your life. Also focusing on crime instead of the poverty and inequalities that create the financial desperation is a cruel joke that has plagued us for generations.

We won't talk about the way the justice system penalizes blacks at 5 times the rate for the same drug crimes or that crack cocaine was penalized at a higher rate than powder in the Reagan 80s. The War on Drugs was developed to target blacks. Republicans. The 1994 crime bill was the Democrats. It is why I am an independent and try to vote for the individual that is going to positively impact my life. Opiods affect mostly white people so rather than criminalize it, we treat it as a health issue. The crack cocaine epidemic was criminalized (both seller and user).

Many things have to change in our society. Posty said it best. It is time to listen. One of the reasons I left FF back in 2016 was because I felt like there was a ton of racial insensitivity and a lack of awareness around Kaepernick and the 2016 election. Also someone was pushing the views of Eugenics and that was my cue to exit.

Not sure if I'm back but I wanted to come on and read if there was any progress. I can say I was somewhat pleased with the discussion for the most part. At least there is a willingness to discuss issues.
Eugenics = Margaret Sanger = Planned Parenthood = Democratic party :dontgetit

https://humandefense.com/margaret-sange ... nd-racism/

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1689/1689-h/1689-h.htm
TIMSCAR20 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 8:54 am Purple: Vacation? :P :P :P I guess it is sort of. I get all my food brought to me and I still get to play with the kids at a distance. They also call me on the intercom/home phone which they find fun but I find annoying :D Having little kids that are as easy as they are has been a blessing though. They are no where near as spoiled as their peers. I can't imagine trying to entertain them every minute of every day like I see parents around us trying to do.
So you get waited on, dont have to deal with the kids temper tantrums. Unfettered access to Netflix and video games...l.sounds vacationy to me!

You have good kids because they have good parents
RubberMallet wrote: July 10th, 2020, 9:30 am
TIMSCAR20 wrote:
RubberMallet wrote: July 9th, 2020, 3:52 pm how dare you assume i'm white.

i'm white
I know you and your brother too if memory serves me right :wink:
its serving you wrong but thats ok.
Umm. He’s also assumed your Gender. Twice :shock: Study :D
Purple Haize wrote: July 10th, 2020, 9:31 am
TIMSCAR20 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 8:54 am Purple: Vacation? :P :P :P I guess it is sort of. I get all my food brought to me and I still get to play with the kids at a distance. They also call me on the intercom/home phone which they find fun but I find annoying :D Having little kids that are as easy as they are has been a blessing though. They are no where near as spoiled as their peers. I can't imagine trying to entertain them every minute of every day like I see parents around us trying to do.
So you get waited on, dont have to deal with the kids temper tantrums. Unfettered access to Netflix and video games...l.sounds vacationy to me!

You have good kids because they have good parents
Part vacation, part cushy federal white collar prison :D Yeah I'll take a little credit for my kids personalities. They are both pretty kind human beings like my mom.
adam42381 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 9:44 pm
TH Spangler wrote: July 10th, 2020, 9:41 am This video says it all. Be Careful who you look to for "hope and change".

WARNING LANGUAGE

God and Christ is the hope and change we need.
Some context would be nice. Where/when did this happen?
Someone posted El Diamante High School, Visalia School District. Last part of June. Parents and adults that live in the neighborhood didn't like it. You can visit the school website, news section and read schools statement. White guy most likely blm activist or antifa.
olldflame wrote: July 14th, 2020, 12:12 pm Bari Weiss, one of the few remaining voices of reason at the New York Times, has resigned. Her letter of resignation is worth the read.

https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter
That letter was a literary masterpiece
Purple Haize wrote: July 14th, 2020, 12:38 pm
olldflame wrote: July 14th, 2020, 12:12 pm Bari Weiss, one of the few remaining voices of reason at the New York Times, has resigned. Her letter of resignation is worth the read.

https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter
That letter was a literary masterpiece
She is a brilliant writer, who is for the most part way left of center, but is still in touch with reality and believes in freedom of speech. One person described the letter as "equal parts inspiring and harrowing". I honestly believe she has grounds for a lawsuit for hostile work environment. Hope she does it.
It is so funny. My brother, who is very liberal, had a very different take on this resignation letter.

I thought it was very well written. It really speaks to an underlying issue of news media in America. All news media has become so partisan. It speaks to a larger issue in media where people insist on remaining in an echo chamber without being challenged.
lynchburgwildcats liked this
thepostman wrote: July 14th, 2020, 12:57 pm It is so funny. My brother, who is very liberal, had a very different take on this resignation letter.

I thought it was very well written. It really speaks to an underlying issue of news media in America. All news media has become so partisan. It speaks to a larger issue in media where people insist on remaining in an echo chamber without being challenged.
There have been a couple quality points made by progressives about some issues in the letter, but ultimately, I think it was really well done.
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 14th, 2020, 1:20 pm
thepostman wrote: July 14th, 2020, 12:57 pm It is so funny. My brother, who is very liberal, had a very different take on this resignation letter.

There have been a couple quality points made by progressives about some issues in the letter, but ultimately, I think it was really well done.
Care to share?
thepostman wrote: July 14th, 2020, 4:47 pm Because there is hypocrisy on both sides and neither can admit that there is. It is exhausting reading some of rhe stuff my brother shares on social media and some of the stuff shared here. When the reality is, Americans are far more alike than we are different but that doesn't get clicks.
No we aren’t :D :D
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]