This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I only caught snippets of Trumps 2 4th of July speeches but thought they were good ones. More so when the only news outlets I’ve seen seem to really be trashing the Founding of America and Founding Fathers. This might be the tact to take to get his campaign in the groove again
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
They were ok, I'd much prefer for non-campaign speeches on holidays (especially Independence Day) to avoid taking jabs at the other side and focus on unity and celebrating but that isn't his way. If you like Trump, you probably liked those speeches. If you don't like Trump or are on the fence about him then you probably didn't like the speeches from this weekend.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 5th, 2020, 9:25 pm They were ok, I'd much prefer for non-campaign speeches on holidays (especially Independence Day) to avoid taking jabs at the other side and focus on unity and celebrating but that isn't his way. If you like Trump, you probably liked those speeches. If you don't like Trump or are on the fence about him then you probably didn't like the speeches from this weekend.
I understand that. But I did think it was important for him to bring up the statues Etc. since that is a thing at the moment. He main point is Making/Keeping America great so he’s gonna talk the exceptionalism of our Country up
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
He has access to the media daily to talk about that. Independence Day speeches from a president need to be unifying and to avoid taking jabs. I am sure he isn't the first to do that but I just don't like it. I knew it was coming though because he is just so predictable and his base eats that crap up. Like you :)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 5th, 2020, 9:41 pm He has access to the media daily to talk about that. Independence Day speeches from a president need to be unifying and to avoid taking jabs. I am sure he isn't the first to do that but I just don't like it. I knew it was coming though because he is just so predictable and his base eats that crap up. Like you :)
Again you have expectations that are not based in reality. In reading his speeches and seeing how both were covered I’m not sure the media hadn’t decided what to write before he even got there.
The media has never and will never give Trump a fair shake. There is literally nothing he could say that would be cast as “unifying “. He gets some of that blame but the big media get 80% of it
jinxy liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm not the media. All he had to do was take a break from taking jabs and i would've been fine with it. Trump will never be an awe inspiring speech giver but he can at least use our nations birthday to at least attempt to unify a very divided country.

I get it, the media outside of fox, will never give him credit. 4 years ago, it was flipped for Obama. All this focus on the media is tiresome.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 5th, 2020, 9:55 pm I'm not the media. All he had to do was take a break from taking jabs and i would've been fine with it. Trump will never be an awe inspiring speech giver but he can at least use our nations birthday to at least attempt to unify a very divided country.

I get it, the media outside of fox, will never give him credit. 4 years ago, it was flipped for Obama. All this focus on the media is tiresome.
Obama was fawned over by the media. Do they not drug test in the military?

So what specifics did you not like about the speech? Bring up MLK Harriett Tubman and the Battle hymn of the Republic? His focus on the great achievements made by Americans? I’m not sure what was divisive.
jinxy liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
You missed my point. I said the media coverage was flipped. Fox was wall to wall negative with CNN/MSNBC fawning over him.

Off the top of my head, when he talked about cancel culture and brought up the rioting. Why bring up such negative things during a celebratory occasion? It makes no sense to me. But you and I have rarely seen eye to eye with Trump. It won't change now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 5th, 2020, 10:08 pm You missed my point. I said the media coverage was flipped. Fox was wall to wall negative with CNN/MSNBC/ABC/CBS/NYT/WaPo/NBC fawning over him.

Off the top of my head, when he talked about cancel culture and brought up the rioting. Why bring up such negative things during a celebratory occasion? It makes no sense to me. But you and I have rarely seen eye to eye with Trump. It won't change now.
FIFY. Not quite the same in scope or scale.
It’s true. I’m pro Trump but not a blind cheerleader as some are and certainly not a blind hater like others. I thought bring those things up were very appropriate given what’s been going on and where he was. Added to the broader contexts of his speeches they fit perfectly. This was far from a campaign rally.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Far from a campaign rally? He was using these as makeshift campaign rallies, especially the Mt Rushmore speech.

It is fascinating how two people can see the same thing so differently.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 5th, 2020, 10:43 pm Far from a campaign rally? He was using these as makeshift campaign rallies, especially the Mt Rushmore speech.

It is fascinating how two people can see the same thing so differently.
It’s the 4th of July. You prefer he not have a speech? Then he’d be decried as not loving America. Why not have it at Mt Rushmore?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Huh? That isn't what I was saying but by adding those quips about the rioters and "cancel culture" he made it about his campaign. That is why he said those things.

He is President, of course he should give a speech or two. I wouldn't expect anything otherwise. I'm not sure how you got that out of what I have said.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I have heard that the initial cost for Kanye to get on the ballot in the states where he still can and get a campaign up and running will be 20-30 million. Between his personal resources and the "full support" of Elon Musk, that shouldn't be an issue.
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote: July 5th, 2020, 8:07 pm Young Gordon Bombay has thrown his name in the hat

I know nothing about him but for those not familiar with the Mighty Ducks franchise, first shame on you, secondly here is Brock Pierce as a young Gordon Bombay in The Mighty Ducks.

Ducks. Fly. Together.
Quack.
thepostman liked this
By Jonathan Carone
Stumbled on this clip tonight. Amazing how what they’re talking about here seven years ago has actually played out the last few years. There’s some language so if that offends you, I’d skip the video.

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Hollywood nonsense JC. :roll:

It's pretty clear corporate globalist and their money are calling the shots these days. Where they're taking us pretty much matches up with Bible prophecy. Unless Trump gives in his days are numbered. His Biblical legacy will probably be recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and declaring the Golan Heights and its oil (hook) as Israeli territory. It will be interesting to see who God allows up next. He puts them up and takes them down. :lol:
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I can’t stand Trump. But I also can’t stand the lies about everything he does. He could rescue a cat from a tree and... never mind.

Here is an interesting quote from the WSJ:

“ Tens of millions of voters who plan to vote against Mr. Trump in the fall hardly need Post lies to give them more reason to do so. But millions of others will vote for Mr. Trump, or consider voting for him, exactly because the Washington Post lies about him. Their wavering support at this point in his ill-starred presidency is sustained only by the deranged dishonesty of his opponents.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-press- ... 1594162964
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
I don’t particularly like Trump as a person. I do like 90% of his policies. At this point it isn’t about voting for character because 95% of the politicians have none.

Disclaimer - the percentages are my opinion and my opinion alone.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: July 8th, 2020, 2:16 pm Perhaps the most significant event (other than COVID) before the election will be the Supreme Court's ruling tomorrow on Trump's taxes.
Not what I'm particularly intrested in. More focused on middle east events and globalization. But that's just me. :lol: :lol:

TPP, NAFTA are gone. It will be interesting to watch supply chains return from Asia and how Usmca plays out. I look for a Boom for north America in the next decade.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The fact he lives in Wyoming is what I found the most bizarre
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 8th, 2020, 3:44 pm Not what I'm particularly intrested in. More focused on middle east events and globalization. But that's just me. :lol: :lol:

TPP, NAFTA are gone. It will be interesting to watch supply chains return from Asia and how Usmca plays out. I look for a Boom for north America in the next decade.
You think something is going to happen in the Middle East over the next 4 months to change or decide the election?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]