If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Jonathan Carone wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 10:00 am But it’s not just fatality rate we’re concerned with. Hasn’t the reason for lockdowns since the beginning been making sure the hospitals weren’t overwhelmed? That’s the number we need to be tracking alongside fatality rate. Just because someone doesn’t die doesn’t mean this virus isn’t causing serious hospital stays with potential lifelong damage.

Edit - I think local lockdowns are better than statewide ones. I can get behind not doing statewide shutdowns anymore.
That is correct, but hospitals have not come close to being "overwhelmed" anywhere in the US at any point. In Houston, where much was made for a couple of days about the high % of ICU beds occupied, it turned out only 27% of them were for Covid, and the others were full largely because of people recovering in ICU from surgery as they are trying to catch up with the backlog of "elective" procedures banned during the lockdown. Keep in mind that "elective" does not mean minor. These include things like cancer and heart surgery and even transplants. Meanwhile, the Covid field hospital the Army Corps built, with 250 beds ready to go and the capacity to expand to 2000, sits vacant.

The fact that younger people are not as affected by this disease goes way beyond mortality rate. They don't get nearly as sick, and when hospitalization is required, it is generally brief.

I totally agree that decisions on shutdowns should be local.
Last edited by olldflame on July 3rd, 2020, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The media is banking on the fact that most people don’t understand that hospitals and their ICUs typically run at 90-95% capacity.
flamehunter, olldflame, Purple Haize and 1 others liked this
But wouldn't that make a spike in bed usage even more noticeable?

Luckily Maryland has handled this thing really well but states like Airzona, California, Florida and Texas are seeintg large increases in hospitalizations which could overwhelm some systems in those states. Local health officials need to monitor that and make sound choices. Statewide mandates aren't the way to go though. That, I do agree with.
ATrain liked this
olldflame wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 10:26 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 10:00 am But it’s not just fatality rate we’re concerned with. Hasn’t the reason for lockdowns since the beginning been making sure the hospitals weren’t overwhelmed? That’s the number we need to be tracking alongside fatality rate. Just because someone doesn’t die doesn’t mean this virus isn’t causing serious hospital stays with potential lifelong damage.

Edit - I think local lockdowns are better than statewide ones. I can get behind not doing statewide shutdowns anymore.
That is correct, but hospitals have not come close to being "overwhelmed" anywhere in the US at any point. In Houston, where much was made for a couple of days about the high % of ICU beds occupied, it turned out only 27% of them were for Covid, and the others were full largely because of people recovering in ICU from surgery as they are trying to catch up with the backlog of "elective" procedures banned during the lockdown. Keep in mind that "elective" does not mean minor. These include things like cancer and heart surgery and even transplants. Meanwhile, the Covid field hospital the Army Corps built, with 250 beds ready to go and the capacity to expand to 2000, sits vacant.

The fact that younger people are not as affected by this disease goes way beyond mortality rate. They don't get nearly as sick, and when hospitalization is required, it is generally brief.

I totally agree that decisions on shutdowns should be local.
You are both wrong. The new mantra is “Stop The Spread”. “Flatten The Curve” is sooo April 2020 :lol:
I don't know if anyone has a clue as to what the ASUN will do with Fall sports, but I would not assume it will be cancelled because there is a Covid surge in Florida. If you look at the breakdown as to where the cases are, it is almost all in the greater Miami area, far away from the Florida ASUN schools. Jacksonville, Ft Meyer and Deland are in pretty good shape, and in fact so are pretty much all of the other areas in other states with ASUN schools.
adam42381 wrote: July 13th, 2020, 4:03 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 13th, 2020, 3:58 pm Could Dabo be next?

FOST (@GeorgeFoster72) Tweeted:
Say what? https://t.co/BhHfquA3Cy
That's almost 4 years old.
It is. But that’s not going to be relevant to some/many. Look at the reactions people are having over statements made longer ago than that. The difference is those people don’t have multiple National Championships as the Clemson football coach.
ATrain wrote: July 13th, 2020, 5:37 pm What do name changes have to do with the Coronavirus???
I didn’t know where else to put this and Dabo. It’s The Rona silly season so I figured this was the best place
BACK on topic:
Patriot League cancels fall sports
Hampton University has suspended fall sports
ACC & SEC have postponed their virtual media days "until further notice,"
Navy AD is committed to trying to make the Army/Navy game happen
TH Spangler wrote: July 13th, 2020, 7:14 pm I saw where UNC football just reported 37 positive covin19 results. Last thing I heard about Liberty was 0.

Somethings up fellas. :dontgetit
Do you know that Liberty is testing players? Or are they just screening?

Also - as a private university, Liberty is not held to the same reporting standards as publics.
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 13th, 2020, 7:19 pm
TH Spangler wrote: July 13th, 2020, 7:14 pm I saw where UNC football just reported 37 positive covin19 results. Last thing I heard about Liberty was 0.

Somethings up fellas. :dontgetit
Do you know that Liberty is testing players? Or are they just screening?

Also - as a private university, Liberty is not held to the same reporting standards as publics.
https://www.aseaofred.com/freeze-says-l ... -19-tests/
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]