This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
If you want to see our sports program become national contenders in most areas, someone like Jerry has to be on board. I don't think that his expertise is exceptional in anything else other than that. I've said it before but I will say it again: there are plenty of people giving the resources that Liberty has who would do as well or probably even better in developing a strong educational institution because I would not say that that is where Liberty is right now. So, let's say you get a very solid leader who happens to be a great academic and a person who knows how to build a great support staff... You would likely be upset at the way resources began to be turned more towards academics and true student opportunity versus athletics.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: June 28th, 2020, 11:30 am If you want to see our sports program become national contenders in most areas, someone like Jerry has to be on board. I don't think that his expertise is exceptional in anything else other than that. I've said it before but I will say it again: there are plenty of people giving the resources that Liberty has who would do as well or probably even better in developing a strong educational institution because I would not say that that is where Liberty is right now. So, let's say you get a very solid leader who happens to be a great academic and a person who knows how to build a great support staff... You would likely be upset at the way resources began to be turned more towards academics and true student opportunity versus athletics.
As long as Liberty stays true to Doc's conservative Biblical worldview, (right to life, traditional biblical marriage, religious freedom) ...... liberal democrats, and the LGBT media will write their articles and try to marginalize the University. It doesn’t matter if the Falwell or DeMoss name is at the top. If Jr retires and someone more effective takes his place the hate on the left would grow even stronger.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 1st, 2020, 8:03 pm Heard Jr on a podcast today. He said the campus is booked full and online broke the old record by 12k. Ol is @ 110k.
Can't say I'm terribly surprised, and I believe growth will continue. I think a lot of parents have had their eyes opened by recent events as to what their children are being taught in college and will be scrambling for alternatives.
TH Spangler, LU 57 liked this
I'm not surprised by online being an all time record. It makes sense with less people wanting to travel but I am really surprised that everything is booked for residential dorms. That isn't to say they won't be drop in off campus students but I figured we'd see a drop in both.

Did he mention if there would be any restrictions from students coming in from Florida or California?
No. He did say young people are dealing with it well. They plan to protect older at risk staff with regular methods. Mask requirements will be completely up to Virginia state requirements.
Yeah, I'm sure the students will be fine but they can still be carriers and there are plenty of older residents, faculty and staff to have concerns for.

School needs to be open but until there is a vaccine precautions should be taken in indoor settings especially.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 1st, 2020, 9:20 pm Yeah, I'm sure the students will be fine but they can still be carriers and there are plenty of older residents, faculty and staff to have concerns for.

School needs to be open but until there is a vaccine precautions should be taken in indoor settings especially.
Jerry made it clear that they will be taking special precautions to protect Cider and TF. Since the other member of the Old Men's Club is not an employee, he is on his own when he makes his campus surveillance excursions.. :D
Last edited by olldflame on July 2nd, 2020, 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: July 2nd, 2020, 6:41 am
thepostman wrote: July 1st, 2020, 9:20 pm Yeah, I'm sure the students will be fine but they can still be carriers and there are plenty of older residents, faculty and staff to have concerns for.

Jerry made it clear that they will be taking special precautions to protect Cider and TF. Since the other member of the Old Men's Club is not an employee, he is on his own when he makes his campus surveillance excursions.. :D
Had a meeting with Cider and TF this morning. We have it worked out.
By Logic
thepostman wrote: June 28th, 2020, 4:44 pm Gross.

You're right.

But still. Gross.

Trey will do a fantastic job when the time comes. Now that Randy retired, Trey is pretty much running the day to day already, as is. JLFJR makes the big decisions and final calls, but much like with Doc and JLFJR circa 2000-2007, Trey is doing a lot already. For those worried about social media, take a look at his Twitter account, or the lack thereof. He hasn’t tweeted since September of 2017, and his account is private. His Instagram account is much the same. I don’t see that changing when he becomes President of Liberty University. He is focused on LU, and every decision he’s made thus far has been spot on. He is wise beyond his years and learned much from his father and grandfather.

Shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations will not happen with Trey at the helm, I can promise you that.
Heard that before. Even Junior started out on a completely different fact than his dad. But.....
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: June 28th, 2020, 10:04 am
Whatisthetruth wrote: June 28th, 2020, 8:52 am Can anyone name something positive only Jr can do?
Our facilities, athletics, and overall financial strength. I have tons of issues with JR, but at least I'm not led by blind hatred like you appear to be.
Want an example of something Jerry did which almost no other president would have?
He hired Ian McCaw.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
For those of you who liked his post, that wasn’t a compliment.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: July 4th, 2020, 11:28 am For those of you who liked his post, that wasn’t a compliment.
Speak for yourself. I certainly intended it to be. Jerry's willingness to make a decision on what he thought was best for our athletic department knowing the criticism he would get is something most men in his position wouldn't have done. Look at the results. Even some of the harshest critics of the decision now admit it was a home run hire.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Hiring Ian, was probably the best move he ever made. Hiring Freeze is a very close second. I am hearing there are some other things in the works, that I believe will be very positive, I hope that they come to fruition. We need some major cultural/spiritual changes.
I am also hoping that we don't over- react to the racial :BS going on in our country, but I suspect that we will. I do not agree with Jr's post on the governor, can we make some things better? Yes. Do we need to swing the pendulum too far, like most organizations are doing? Absolutely not. All lives matter, all races matter. Trying to please the world/media is a waste of time and counter-productive to the mission.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]