If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It will not be good if P5 conferences break away from NCAA. The term P5 should have never been initiated. The playing field should have remained level. Every conference should have remained equal, regardless of size . The NCAA with their lack of leadership, basically let Ohio State and Notre Dame ADs run the organization. Now the NCAA is about to fall off the cliff.
All 325 D1 schools should have equal vote.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 28th, 2020, 10:42 am It will not be good if P5 conferences break away from NCAA. The term P5 should have never been initiated. The playing field should have remained level. Every conference should have remained equal, regardless of size . The NCAA with their lack of leadership, basically let Ohio State and Notre Dame ADs run the organization. Now the NCAA is about to fall off the cliff.
But every conference in fact is NOT equal. The MAC is not equal to the SEC by any measure. The Sun Belt is not equal to the PAC 12. The AAC isn’t equal to the B1G. So your premise is entirely wrong
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 28th, 2020, 10:42 am It will not be good if P5 conferences break away from NCAA. The term P5 should have never been initiated. The playing field should have remained level. Every conference should have remained equal, regardless of size . The NCAA with their lack of leadership, basically let Ohio State and Notre Dame ADs run the organization. Now the NCAA is about to fall off the cliff.
I hate to break it to you, the playing field has never been level. Were you against the I-A/I-AA split back in 1978? This split is very similar to that and the arguments for and against it seem very similar. Here is an old SI article that is a good history lesson.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1978/01/23/t ... s-decision

The split will happen at some point, it will be interesting to see that plays out.
By Ill flame
I wouldn't be surprised if the top conferences break off eventually but I would be curious where that cutoff would be. Would it be a closed membership that requires an invite from one of the conferences or could any school that meets certain criteria join if they want? If it's the former then we would have to sue our way in again. If it's the latter than we should be able to get there in time.

I'm not really against the idea of the top conferences having their own division for football so that the G5 teams can have their own playoff but to completely split off would be bad for all of the other sports. What would the NCAA tournament look like with only 5 or 6 conferences?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
What happens to "other sports" would be very interesting. Will the smaller schools refuse to play the P5s in any sport ?
Truth be known, the whole deal is a big mess, brought on by the love of money, led by Notre Dame and Ohio State.

For the record in 1978, I was busy playing, coaching and umpiring softball, that I did not follow college sports, other than check scores every so often. I really didn't start following college sports closely until 1994.
By Ill flame
ballcoach15 wrote: May 28th, 2020, 11:55 am What happens to "other sports" would be very interesting. Will the smaller schools refuse to play the P5s in any sport ?
Truth be known, the whole deal is a big mess, brought on by the love of money, led by Notre Dame and Ohio State.

For the record in 1978, I was busy playing, coaching and umpiring softball, that I did not follow college sports, other than check scores every so often. I really didn't start following college sports closely until 1994.
I wouldn't specifically throw those two schools under the bus. They are no more guilty than any other p5 school looking for a payday.

If the larger schools aren't even in the NCAA anymore I think those games would become much more rare like NCAA and NAIA games are now.
By tyndal23
Found an old thread on ACC counting Army as a P5 non con. Some good stuff on how Louisville got the invite in to ACC ( page 3 ) that ball coach will like. Another instance about how arbitrary a school can count as a P5 non con. I have researched this a ton - ACC - specifically Duke, WF, NC State, NEED a close travel P5 Winnable game the years they don’t play ND. UVA,VA,UNC would welcome it EVEN if they have another P5 game scheduled. ( we would still help SOS vs a G5 ). I believe if we did my 5 year plan where we budgeted and played anyone anywhere with 7 P5 every year - by year 6 we would be welcome with open arms by ACC as a P5 non com just like BYU and Army - mainly due to location. Covid 19 accelerates the closer games ( probably not an issue by the time we would do it ) Purple - before you send a smart jerk reply - put the amount of time I have in to it and respond with data...
https://csnbbs.com/thread-820473.html
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: May 28th, 2020, 8:57 pm Found an old thread on ACC counting Army as a P5 non con. Some good stuff on how Louisville got the invite in to ACC ( page 3 ) that ball coach will like. Another instance about how arbitrary a school can count as a P5 non con. I have researched this a ton - ACC - specifically Duke, WF, NC State, NEED a close travel P5 Winnable game the years they don’t play ND. UVA,VA,UNC would welcome it EVEN if they have another P5 game scheduled. ( we would still help SOS vs a G5 ). I believe if we did my 5 year plan where we budgeted and played anyone anywhere with 7 P5 every year - by year 6 we would be welcome with open arms by ACC as a P5 non com just like BYU and Army - mainly due to location. Covid 19 accelerates the closer games ( probably not an issue by the time we would do it ) Purple - before you send a smart jerk reply - put the amount of time I have in to it and respond with data...
I’m not neurotic so it’s not in my nature to obsess over something like this. Therefore it would be impossible for me to spend as much time as you on fantasies.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: May 28th, 2020, 8:57 pm Found an old thread on ACC counting Army as a P5 non con. Some good stuff on how Louisville got the invite in to ACC ( page 3 ) that ball coach will like. Another instance about how arbitrary a school can count as a P5 non con. I have researched this a ton - ACC - specifically Duke, WF, NC State, NEED a close travel P5 Winnable game the years they don’t play ND. UVA,VA,UNC would welcome it EVEN if they have another P5 game scheduled. ( we would still help SOS vs a G5 ). I believe if we did my 5 year plan where we budgeted and played anyone anywhere with 7 P5 every year - by year 6 we would be welcome with open arms by ACC as a P5 non com just like BYU and Army - mainly due to location. Covid 19 accelerates the closer games ( probably not an issue by the time we would do it ) Purple - before you send a smart jerk reply - put the amount of time I have in to it and respond with data...
Good stuff on that fake university in Kentucky. I don't see how NCAA allows them to be FBS. They probably should be NAIA or something. I have always wondered if they have classrooms. Still hard to believe ACC let them in.
By Ill flame
7 P5's a year? Why don't we go full Notre Dame and play 10 p5's a year and no FCS schools. Also CBS backed out on the sec so liberty should try to get a national TV deal with them like ND has with nbc. With our 10 p5 schedule they would be stupid not to put us on national TV. You think the NCAA will recognize our p5 equivalent status by giving us a vote like ND gets?
Purple Haize liked this
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: May 28th, 2020, 10:25 pm
7 P5's a year? Why don't we go full Notre Dame and play 10 p5's a year and no FCS schools. Also CBS backed out on the sec so liberty should try to get a national TV deal with them like ND has with nbc. With our 10 p5 schedule they would be stupid not to put us on national TV. You think the NCAA will recognize our p5 equivalent status by giving us a vote like ND gets?
That is the Long term goal actually, once we count as P5 for multiple conferences and can do Normal 1 for 1’s - ESPN will suffice - doesn’t have to be CBS. First step is the hardest and will take a willingness to play only 5 home games and pay out big $ for 1 for 1 against bottom 1/3 P5 and or cash strapped better Programs who already have 7 home games, and play multiple 1 off road games for half a decade.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: May 28th, 2020, 10:25 pm
I like the cut of your jib :D
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 28th, 2020, 10:42 amIt will not be good if P5 conferences break away from NCAA. The term P5 should have never been initiated. The playing field should have remained level. Every conference should have remained equal, regardless of size .
Your positions are inconsistent. You routinely give this response (All conferences should be equal), while also saying "but who did they play?" You also promote (rightfully, in my opinion 8)) the superiority of the SEC.

If all conferences / teams should be viewed as "equal," than all that matters should be the W/L column.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
For whatever the reason, the SEC has risen to the top of college football, and probably baseball and softball. But still SEC , ACC, Big 12, PAC 12 and Little 10, should not be given any favors that AAC, MAC, Conference USA , Sunbelt and other conferences don't get also.
As for strength of schedule, that will always be a problem, depending on who each team schedules. One can play a Cupcake P5 team.
By Ill flame
alabama24 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 2:00 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: May 28th, 2020, 10:42 amIt will not be good if P5 conferences break away from NCAA. The term P5 should have never been initiated. The playing field should have remained level. Every conference should have remained equal, regardless of size .
Your positions are inconsistent. You routinely give this response (All conferences should be equal), while also saying "but who did they play?" You also promote (rightfully, in my opinion 8)) the superiority of the SEC.

If all conferences / teams should be viewed as "equal," than all that matters should be the W/L column.
To be fair if each p5 only played other p5's then the sos debate would be more of a tiebreaker than anything. Once you include g5's and FCS schools then the difference in sos becomes too big to ignore.
By tyndal23
ballcoach15 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 3:20 pm For whatever the reason, the SEC has risen to the top of college football, and probably baseball and softball. But still SEC , ACC, Big 12, PAC 12 and Little 10, should not be given any favors that AAC, MAC, Conference USA , Sunbelt and other conferences don't get also.
As for strength of schedule, that will always be a problem, depending on who each team schedules. One can play a Cupcake P5 team.
Technically the NCAA doesn’t give any favors to P5 over G5, but even in the AP Modern era BYU ( as a WAC member at the time ) is the lone exception to ever win a NC Outside of a major conference. G5 can only schedule 3-4 P5 max and then go to conference play ( they only ever schedule 2 ). SOS mattered in the AP era and it matters now. Only an Independent could realistically schedule tough enough to break through in the current format.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: June 30th, 2020, 8:28 am Credibility is hard to build but easy to loose.
You can't make a post without taking a shot at jr. I think you spent to much time working in the last administrations WH to ever like jr. :lol:

ODU in Liberty out?. ODU insiders are already worried they don't have the funds to stay FBS for long.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]