Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: June 24th, 2020, 1:56 pm
Purple Haize wrote: June 24th, 2020, 1:10 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: June 24th, 2020, 12:44 pm A former LU and NFL player is on campus this week.
And?
You can get his autograph, duh!
I’m sure fraudcoach already has Kelvin Edwards autograph
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: June 24th, 2020, 3:41 pm
ALUmnus wrote: June 24th, 2020, 3:09 pm So what's the story about the LU professor getting fired for saying something insensitive? Anyone have some specifics?

https://wset.com/news/local/that-behavi ... -professor
It appears as the school and Jr will take no responsibility for any fallout from his actions. It is, and always will be, someone else's fault.
So, the school takes strong and almost instantaneous action to address what was apparently a fairly significant offense by the professor, and we have people saying it is just a ploy to deflect the blame from leadership. They are separate issues.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Nobody cares anymore about reality. Jerry Jr. is not a racist . His comments about the mask were not racist, and Liberty has to have one of the most loving faculty and staff in the world. Does racism exist - of course, but to say Liberty is a racist institution is an excuse to leave. Plain and simple.
LUOrange, ballcoach15, olldflame and 1 others liked this
By Class of 20Something
olldflame wrote: June 25th, 2020, 8:14 am
ALUmnus wrote: June 24th, 2020, 3:09 pm So what's the story about the LU professor getting fired for saying something insensitive? Anyone have some specifics?

It appears as the school and Jr will take no responsibility for any fallout from his actions. It is, and always will be, someone else's fault.
So, the school takes strong and almost instantaneous action to address what was apparently a fairly significant offense by the professor, and we have people saying it is just a ploy to deflect the blame from leadership. They are separate issues.
I think both are likely true. Does the school have any minority based clubs? If not, Jr championing the formation of one for a unified channel of students and faculty to communicate could be seems as a good faith move to solving issues that are being communicated.

We always said the best cop can show up at an altercation and mediate so well both sides leave feeling heard and understood. That's what's needed in leadership too! Everyone wants to be heard. Honest conversations about opportunity and equity and equality need to be publicly had to restore faith and confidence in current and future students, staff, and alumni.

I don't think Jr is a racist. But I do think his leadership is lacking in this time.

How can we glorify God here?
By cruzan_flame13
prototype wrote: June 25th, 2020, 9:58 am Nobody cares anymore about reality. Jerry Jr. is not a racist . His comments about the mask were not racist, and Liberty has to have one of the most loving faculty and staff in the world. Does racism exist - of course, but to say Liberty is a racist institution is an excuse to leave. Plain and simple.
Not being for a specific party, so this came to mind. If policians were more supportive of Trump(like they were for Obama) and also the media and Jr would've still posted that tweet about Norman, would anyone react the way they did? I'll even add this, if people would've critical think this through and saw the Floyd case as a cop doing wrong to a citizen and not including they skin tone of the people involved, would the students or anyone for that matter reaction that way. So isn't there an issue within ourselves that we need to deal with before we talk about having change. It starts with ourselves then in the home. If we have overly traumatized people who are told to be in fear because specific people are after them, then how do we think these situations will be resolved? This message is from all people and not for a select few. Also, why are "black" people accept being called "person of color." If we are so angry about being treated badly and are called racial sources, person of color should be one of them. Or do people forgot that how they identified a person by which restroom, fountain, movies and other ways life to use during those times? Like I said this more deeper than racism but with social engineering.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Rumor is that ND reach out to one. Wouldn't be surprised if Jerry and coach are trying to help find the best landing spot.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: June 25th, 2020, 1:29 pm
Risewithus wrote: June 25th, 2020, 12:36 pm WV and OLE miss offered the other one.
For more than one reason, it would be totally ironic if he goes to Ole Miss.
:lol: How about if this season is shorten, only conference games, and we end up playing ND.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: June 25th, 2020, 8:14 am

I fully support removing a professor who I am guessing said some racially insensitive things. Good. There is no place for that at the school. The problem is, there appears to be a double standard. Not just rscially insensitivity but the upmost disregard as to how his (Jerry's) tweets at times reflect poorly on the institution.

Look, I don't think Jerry is s racist. That is a word thrown around too easily. We all, myself included have biases and those include racial biases. Biases create blindspots. When someone is in a position of power their racial biases and blindspots can have 2nd and 3rd order effects that negatively impact those of color.

We all have strong opinions on this and this message board has a history of being very opinionated. It was even part of the slogan back in the flamefans era but I wish we could all discuss this, myself included, with at least an ear to what others are saying.

If I ever hinted or gave the impression that I think Jerry Falwell Jr is a racist, i apologize for that. That was never my intention.

Much love :D
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Not a current player but one of our JUCO transfers has decommited

Us or the University of Liberty. You decide :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: June 26th, 2020, 7:16 pm
thepostman wrote: June 26th, 2020, 6:50 pm Not a current player but one of our JUCO transfers has decommited

Was just looking around to see if we had a high number of decommites. U Tennessee had 14 in 2020?

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee ... Decommits/
Overall our level of decommits has not been high, and some of them last year were actually a result of us pulling the offer. That may be the case with UTK as well.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: June 27th, 2020, 7:56 am
TH Spangler wrote: June 26th, 2020, 7:16 pm
thepostman wrote: June 26th, 2020, 6:50 pm Not a current player but one of our JUCO transfers has decommited

Was just looking around to see if we had a high number of decommites. U Tennessee had 14 in 2020?

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee ... Decommits/
Overall our level of decommits has not been high, and some of them last year were actually a result of us pulling the offer. That may be the case with UTK as well.
Yes, probably realized they could get more playing time elsewhere.
By Jonathan Carone
First off - I don’t believe Jerry to be racist. I think he is often racially insensitive and doesn’t consider others before he speaks. He’s a narcissist, but he’s not racist.

With that clarification out of the way, there are a few things that haven’t been touched on yet in this thread.

I don’t think Jerry’s attitude will lead to a mass exodus, but it has had impacts on current and future players.

In a Slate article, there was a quote that said:

“A source with connections to the Liberty athletic community told me that several high school football players in Georgia declined scholarships to Liberty in early June because of Falwell’s racial insensitivity.”
https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/0 ... culty.html

Around the same time, some of our coaches began tweeting about Georgia to VA connections. The two may not have been connected, but the timing was enough to think it could be.

As for the culture at Liberty, I again don’t think it’s an outright racist culture. It is, however, racially insensitive at times as well.

Liberty - as a school - has always been a Republican university. That’s nothing new. Over the past eight years as Jerry has taken it further right, he hasn’t allowed black voices that weren’t in line with the Republican Party to have a place at Liberty. The Candace Owens and Ben Carsons of the world have been elevated, but anyone who might not fall in line politically - even if they were a strong Christian black voice - wasn’t allowed to have a place.

From the same Slate article:

For some black alumni, the events of the past few weeks have prompted them to reflect on their experiences on campus. Joshua McMillion, who graduated in 2018 and went on to work for the school until this spring, said he was struck by Liberty’s silence during the early waves of the Black Lives Matter movement. “The leaders were either completely silent or would bring in speakers to gaslight students,” he said. He recalled feeling that the school used speakers like Ben Carson to make it look like it was addressing issues important to black students. But when a predominantly black ministry McMillion belonged to wanted to host a panel discussion on Black Lives Matter, an administrator refused to allow the event to take place on campus. They held the event at a local anti-poverty nonprofit instead.
Because Liberty is only interested in showing one side of blackness, it can feel like the school is not open to supporting the black experience as a whole.

On top of these things, because Liberty prides itself on being so politically incorrect, the prevalence of racially insensitive jokes and comments from students is higher with fewer people stepping in to advocate for how those jokes could be harmful. I think to some of the jokes my friends made while in school and look at them through a different lens and realize how insensitive they were. I had no clue at the time.

Because of Liberty’s politics and its flavor of Christianity, it will always be a place where many pieces of black culture won’t be accepted. Many will say these issues come with the territory of being who we are - and that’s a legit take.

The other side of that coin is all these small things adding up to being a turn off for some black students and athletes. It means we will miss out on some great Christian students and great Christian athletes. I don’t think we should degrade or question the motives of black students who say they don’t fit at Liberty. These insensitivities do exist and they’re because of decisions leadership makes.
Risewithus liked this
By cruzan_flame13
How do you know that Liberty haven't asked black people to come and speak? Have you ever considered the fact that speakers didn't want to come or didn't take the chances because of political or other reasons? I do recall having black speakers coming to Convocation and with Falwell being open to supporting Trump, that has changed. Also, I think it's racist to explain black culture when that's just an image that has been given to us. Not all people of darker skin(or any other people for that matter) think or have the same cultural indentities. Booker T. Washington stated it best:

"There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs – partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.” 

So no I don't think Liberty should give into an ideology that is intwined with marxism even people want to separate its meaning. The issue with "black culture" is not racism itself from others, but what is occurring in black families and communities. The only time it comes into light is when another "race", especially white, is involved. The Bible discussed about these events occurring not only between kingdoms but amongst tribes and in this case race. This is more deeper than a tweet and even politics.
LUOrange, jinxy, michaeleyou liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It's all driven by the liberal media. They constantly search for negative stuff to write about, and most of it is untrue.
TH Spangler liked this
By cruzan_flame13
ballcoach15 wrote: June 27th, 2020, 7:14 pm It's all driven by the liberal media. They constantly search for negative stuff to write about, and most of it is untrue.
This person did a good video discussing about the fabrication of systematic racism:

The systematic issue is that the reason of grievances have been shifted. No one wants to talk about the lack of fathers in the black communities and why that is. No one wants to bring up that children who have both parents in the home is less likely to drop out of school or be convicted of crimes. Why? Because that's racist is the claim. Making some changes at Liberty will boy end this out come or even the hashtags and tweets that support injustice. All of that is just virtue signaling and will not help the brokenness that occurs around this country and even the world. If we want to be an example of Christ, that's a great way to start an it starts with ourselves. That's just my two cents(also this is more important than sports).
By cruzan_flame13
TH Spangler wrote: June 27th, 2020, 7:16 pm Liberty just needs to promote a Christian culture. That's the glue that holds us together.
Not hashtags and woulda-coulda-shoulda's. Of course im not saying that Jr. shouldn't tone down on his politics, but the hypocrisy is that it wouldn't be a problem to other institutions, media and politics if he was leaning left :lol:. Politics is truly poisonous to a civilization.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Christians should be involved in domestic politics. Foriegn money should not. Our mainstream media, university system and our domestic policies have been on the auction block for several years. And our adversaries are taking advantage. You are starting to see its affect.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: June 27th, 2020, 8:13 pm Christians should be involved in domestic politics. Foriegn money should not. Our mainstream media, university system and our domestic policies have been on the auction block for several years. And our adversaries are taking advantage. You are starting to see its affect.
First of all, spelling "foreign" correctly would make you look a bit more intelligent. Secondly, I'd love a scriptural foundation for your statement. I do believe Christians should be involved in our government, but I don't think politics was mentioned in theology. Local politics... Maybe... National politics requires one to sell their soul.
By cruzan_flame13
rogers3 wrote: June 27th, 2020, 9:07 pm
TH Spangler wrote: June 27th, 2020, 8:13 pm Christians should be involved in domestic politics. Foriegn money should not. Our mainstream media, university system and our domestic policies have been on the auction block for several years. And our adversaries are taking advantage. You are starting to see its affect.
First of all, spelling "foreign" correctly would make you look a bit more intelligent. Secondly, I'd love a scriptural foundation for your statement. I do believe Christians should be involved in our government, but I don't think politics was mentioned in theology. Local politics... Maybe... National politics requires one to sell their soul.
Bingo.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: June 27th, 2020, 9:07 pm
Please explain how you participate in government without being involved in politics? But my main point is that foreign money is behind a lot of what's going on in the streets today. There's a big push for a new/one world government and Trump was a setback. But ... if I'm interpreting scripture correctly, it's only been slowed down ..... it's coming.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]