Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 3:34 pm Not speaking for him but saying BLM and supporting the organization BLM are very different things. Unfortunately they're counting on the public conflating the two.
All human lives matter. Calling someone black or even white is actually ridiculous. We are actually degrading ourselves on labels wealthy people has placed on the lower class. This has been done for generations and is such a normal, yet we want to overcome racism? How could you overcome something when most don't know the depth of the subject? The term racism as used now is incorrect also.
flameshaw, ballcoach15 liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I wasn't real sure how I felt about BLM for a while now. I did think they were a racist organization, just because of the name, but was willing to look past that until I knew more.
The clincher for me came last night. I saw civil rights attorney Leo Terrell tear them up for their support of racist, fascist, destructive, violent, organizations and tactics.
If you don't know Leo Terrell, he has always been very supportive of everything minority. However, to his credit, in the last couple of months, he has been very open-minded/fair regarding the violence, etc. that has become prevalent in our country.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
There is BLM the organization and BLM the hashtag. Not everybody that's says BLM is on the organization. I been black my whole life and never met a member of BLM. People need to relax and stop watching Fox News.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:There is BLM the organization and BLM the hashtag. Not everybody that's says BLM is on the organization. I been black my whole life and never met a member of BLM. People need to relax and stop watching Fox News.
This. There's many people saying Black Lives Matter that don't understand the mission of the organization. There's also people using the organization using the words Black Lives Matter to shame people in the joining the organization. It's a real Catch 22 by people using the organization. However, those who aren't interested in philosophy and politics do not understand the debate over these three seemingly innocuous words.

I don't rag on people who say Black Lives Matter. They do. Most mean the statement, not the organization. Unfortunately, many don't realize the difference.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 6:57 pm
lawrenceq wrote:There is BLM the organization and BLM the hashtag. Not everybody that's says BLM is on the organization. I been black my whole life and never met a member of BLM. People need to relax and stop watching Fox News.
This. There's many people saying Black Lives Matter that don't understand the mission of the organization. There's also people using the organization using the words Black Lives Matter to shame people in the joining the organization. It's a real Catch 22 by people using the organization. However, those who aren't interested in philosophy and politics do not understand the debate over these three seemingly innocuous words.

I don't rag on people who say Black Lives Matter. They do. Most mean the statement, not the organization. Unfortunately, many don't realize the difference.
I agree!
By LUOrange
flameshaw wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 6:25 pm I wasn't real sure how I felt about BLM for a while now. I did think they were a racist organization, just because of the name, but was willing to look past that until I knew more.
The clincher for me came last night. I saw civil rights attorney Leo Terrell tear them up for their support of racist, fascist, destructive, violent, organizations and tactics.
If you don't know Leo Terrell, he has always been very supportive of everything minority. However, to his credit, in the last couple of months, he has been very open-minded/fair regarding the violence, etc. that has become prevalent in our country.
Leo also slammed the Atlanta DA for charging the Police Officers for shooting Rayshard Brooks after he resisted arrest, assaulted both of them, disarmed one of them, shot one of them with the tazer, and tried to shoot the other with it as well.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Just my opinion, could be wrong but I have a hunch the current blm movement is a demacrat campaign strategy trying to hang on to their base in 2020. Black conservatives are giving Trump a good look. They still haven't forgiven him for the birther thing, but they like him putting Americans first. My christian black friend brought up Obama the other day. He explained how much it meant to him to see him in the oval office. He also said he wasn't sure why all of a sudden he started pushing the LGBT agenda so hard. I told him it was probably because of money. My guess is a majority of the DNC money flows from Soros and LGBT members.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Just my opinion, could be wrong but I have a hunch the current blm movement is a demacrat campaign strategy trying to hang on to their base in 2020.
Correct. I'd feel better about agreeing with you more if you used spellchecker though :D
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 5:57 am So I'm walking down Main Street in Clinton, New Jersey wearing an LU tee shirt. A man stops me and says; " I love Jerry Jr., he doesn't take s___ from anyone and says whatever he wants." I am the father of 3 grads of LU and I make several trips down each year for various sporting events. I love the school and it's mission to train champions for Christ. Having said that, it is becoming difficult to support Jerry Jr. who is all too frequently in the news for comments or behavior that I cannot defend. I was proud to stand up for the Moral Majority and admired Jerry Sr. for his unbridled stand for Christ. What happened to that atmosphere on the mountain? As believers, we are increasingly being marginalized and we desperately need leaders who will be ambassadors for Christ. If this doesn't change, IMHO, we will continue to lose players and coaches. I wonder what Carey Green, Dot Richardson and Ritchie McKay think of all of this. I mention them because I am most familiar with their testimonies.
Ambassador - "a representative to foreign country".

Believers should be a representative of Christ. Based on Jr, what is the perception of what LU represents? He just likes to tick people off.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 9:19 am
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 8:36 am Clark was on just on a radio show and was directly asked what led to the decision. There was more conversation as well that led to the following:
- He said Jerry’s tweet was the primary reason. At least that’s the only thing he mentioned in addition to feeling like the university did not support black culture as much as he’d like.
- He was asked if he’d consider an HBCU and said all options are open, but he doesn’t have hate for white people and isn’t looking to simply isolate himself.
- He said his goal was to make it to the league. He was asked about his position coach and Clark said he was supportive and stood by him.
- He seemed to allude to Liberty as a whole not respecting black culture.
- He mentioned that he should have done more research before coming to Liberty.
- He was very kind and well spoken throughout the interview.

All of this reinforces my belief that a 3rd party was involved, especially the comment about "more research". Anyone who uses the term "Liberty doesn't support black culture" is just using that for a crutch.
Liberty's black enrollment has declined from 10% to 4% in less than 10 years...in a school that is likely increasing in black athletes and continues to reach beyond it's white, Baptist roots. In some places that is referred to as "voting with your feet".
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 6:57 pm

Black Lives Matter is like Coke and Xerox...the brand name has become the generic name for the product, but in this case, it's a movement.. Yes, I know all about the genesis of the BLM organization but when I hear the term, I do not think of the organization. And I watch, listen to and read lots of news. There is already plenty of claiming to know what others motives are on this thread on this thread, so I'll just say this represents my views. It may or may not represent others. :P
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 8:47 pm
TH Spangler wrote:Just my opinion, could be wrong but I have a hunch the current blm movement is a demacrat campaign strategy trying to hang on to their base in 2020.
Correct. I'd feel better about agreeing with you more if you used spellchecker though :D
Sorry I use voice when on my phone. :lol: I'll try to do better. :lol:
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
This has turned into a BLM thread. :lol:

I read Jerry's comments about Virginia's governor and cringed. Although I don't live in Virginia, I remember the story about the governor's photo. I get what Jerry was saying because I'm familiar with the story, but he has to be careful what he post because people only read headlines.
By Class of 20Something
The BLM was important because we're trying to infer what Clark meant. Is Clark supporting the idea or the organization? That's why the BLM discussion is relevant here. But we should bring it back around.

I'm going to assume the best that Clark didn't feel like he belonged at LU. What can the fan base do to make sure that all believers feel welcome? Who here has heard at the least something racially insensitive at LU? Who has said something racially insensitive? Who has stopped someone saying something racially insensitive?

We can't control leadership. But we can rep Jesus. If your faith isn't built on love then it isn't faith. If your love isn't rooted in truth, it's not love.

Let's love each other.

Dangit I sound like a hippie. But that's what Jesus said.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Hopefully Jerry has learned a lesson from this and will consider the consequences of careless/thoughtless words and actions in the future. Regardless of to what degree individuals were or were not actually offended by the tweet, the reality is it has opened a Pandora's box which provides an opportunity for any Liberty student-athlete who decides they want to leave for any reason whatsoever to transfer with a 99% or better chance of being exempted from the one year transfer rule. It looks like so far our coaches have done a pretty good job of retention, but it's still pretty early.
By Whatisthetruth
olldflame wrote: June 24th, 2020, 11:05 am Hopefully Jerry has learned a lesson from this and will consider the consequences of careless/thoughtless words and actions in the future. Regardless of to what degree individuals were or were not actually offended by the tweet, the reality is it has opened a Pandora's box which provides an opportunity for any Liberty student-athlete who decides they want to leave for any reason whatsoever to transfer with a 99% or better chance of being exempted from the one year transfer rule. It looks like so far our coaches have done a pretty good job of retention, but it's still pretty early.

I wish you were right oldflame, but Jr does not believe he is capable of wrong actions and has publicly stated everything he does is appropriate. At this point I believe the only viable question is what will he do next?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: June 24th, 2020, 10:50 am The BLM was important because we're trying to infer what Clark meant. Is Clark supporting the idea or the organization? That's why the BLM discussion is relevant here. But we should bring it back around.

I'm going to assume the best that Clark didn't feel like he belonged at LU. What can the fan base do to make sure that all believers feel welcome? Who here has heard at the least something racially insensitive at LU? Who has said something racially insensitive? Who has stopped someone saying something racially insensitive?

We can't control leadership. But we can rep Jesus. If your faith isn't built on love then it isn't faith. If your love isn't rooted in truth, it's not love.

Let's love each other.

Dangit I sound like a hippie. But that's what Jesus said.
I ask my older black buddy, who lives in Danville, had he encountered a lot of racism. His response suprised me. He said something like .... "a little bit, but you know it's a two way street. I can deal with it until I get caught in the middle". Love that man, could spend everyday with him. :)
Last edited by TH Spangler on June 24th, 2020, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaeleyou liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 24th, 2020, 12:44 pm A former LU and NFL player is on campus this week.
And?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: June 24th, 2020, 3:41 pm
ALUmnus wrote: June 24th, 2020, 3:09 pm So what's the story about the LU professor getting fired for saying something insensitive? Anyone have some specifics?

https://wset.com/news/local/that-behavi ... -professor
It appears as the school and Jr will take no responsibility for any fallout from his actions. It is, and always will be, someone else's fault.
Good example why professors should not have tenure. :idea:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: June 24th, 2020, 3:57 pm
Purple Haize wrote: June 24th, 2020, 1:10 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: June 24th, 2020, 12:44 pm A former LU and NFL player is on campus this week.
And?
Rashad is the only one that would be relevant to this thread without major stretches in assumptions.
This is ballcoach. Relevance is irrelevant.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

At what point in history was the ACC ever any bett[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]