If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

ballcoach15 wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 9:35 pm Hampton is currently Big South's best venue. I consider Wintrop to be Rock Hill, more so than Charlotte.
That's just being pedantic though. Consider that every road game is also a recruiting trip. The point isn't the exact city, but the market. These road trips are to population centers, moreso in the ASUN than the BSC.
ballcoach15, thepostman liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 9:35 pm Hampton is currently Big South's best venue.
Ballcoach, are talking the campus or the town? High Point, by far, has the nicest campus in the Big South. Study
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: May 4th, 2020, 7:42 am
ballcoach15 wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 9:35 pm Hampton is currently Big South's best venue.
Ballcoach, are talking the campus or the town? High Point, by far, has the nicest campus in the Big South. Study
Town and surrounding area. Fair or not, I judge each campus by their softball stadium.
By Ill flame
I've noticed a trend at the high school level to form mega conferences that essentially form smaller conferences. I wouldn't complain if c-usa and Sunbelt formed a 24 team 4 division conference. The days of the third tier conferences getting huge tv contracts are over so having one superconference could give them more leverage in tv negotiations. It would also give them some flexibility in scheduling to minimize travel. if this formed I could see it falling apart relatively quickly though as soon as the next round of conference realignment happened.
chris leedlelee liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: May 25th, 2020, 1:00 pm I've noticed a trend at the high school level to form mega conferences that essentially form smaller conferences. I wouldn't complain if c-usa and Sunbelt formed a 24 team 4 division conference. The days of the third tier conferences getting huge tv contracts are over so having one superconference could give them more leverage in tv negotiations. It would also give them some flexibility in scheduling to minimize travel. if this formed I could see it falling apart relatively quickly though as soon as the next round of conference realignment happened.
Or that could be part of the next round of realignment
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Combining CUSA and Sun Belt would not move the azimuth 1 degree.
Every team in both conferences would probably leave tomorrow, if they got a better offer.
By Ill flame
ballcoach15 wrote: May 25th, 2020, 3:29 pm Combining CUSA and Sun Belt would not move the azimuth 1 degree.
Every team in both conferences would probably leave tomorrow, if they got a better offer.
There isnt a single Sunbelt or c-usa school that wouldn't move to the AAC tomorrow if an invite opened up so how would this be any different?
By Ill flame
Sly Fox wrote: May 26th, 2020, 9:15 pm There is little to no appetite for combining leagues at this stage as that would just mean less auto bids. Reshuffling is a very real possibility. But no DI league is going to get rid of its golden ticket.
That's a valid point. It wouldn't be as much of a problem if they were likely to get multiple at large bids but it would probably still be a one bid league. I'm curious if the NCAA would ever be willing to give two bids to a conference with 16+ teams.
By Ill flame
Sly Fox wrote: May 27th, 2020, 1:14 pm The short answer is no. By its own regulations if they increase auto bids they have to match it with at-larges.
In this case you would be merging two conferences so there would be no net increase in auto bids. I don't think it would ever happen either way.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This is why reshuffling membership by regions is at the center of the realignemnt discussions. The primary hold up has been exit fees for the lower level leagues. Once that bridge is crossed by gentlemn's agreement or otherwise then you will see some action. The buzz has been that COVID economics would speed up the process.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
CBS Sports wrote:Why we may be reaching a tipping point for the Power Five to break away from the FBS
The fading relevancy of the NCAA and different needs of the Power Five leagues may make change necessary

By Dennis Dodd @dennisdoddcbs

University of Utah economist Ted Tatos was asked to consider whether the coronavirus could impact a second consecutive NCAA Tournament. While schools are eagerly anticipating a return of college football, let's not forget how this historic moment in time began in the college sports world.

Despite the pandemic, the NCAA's foundation has already been in question. But during these uncertain times, the association may be one more calamitous event away from slipping off a cliff of relevancy.

"If there's no NCAA Tournament next year," Tatos said. "… I think then there has to be a breakaway from this model."
Click Here for Full Story
By Damien Sordelett
Registration Days Posts
I specifically asked Ian McCaw during my annual Q&A with him regarding conference realignment, especially at the G5 level. His answer made it seem like there's talk regarding more regionalized scheduling than realignment at this point.

https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/coll ... 0b7c3.html
PAmedic, flamehunter liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Damien Sordelett wrote: May 27th, 2020, 3:12 pm I specifically asked Ian McCaw during my annual Q&A with him regarding conference realignment, especially at the G5 level. His answer made it seem like there's talk regarding more regionalized scheduling than realignment at this point.

Damien, good job on the interview with AD.
alabama24 liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Damien Sordelett wrote: May 27th, 2020, 3:12 pm I specifically asked Ian McCaw during my annual Q&A with him regarding conference realignment, especially at the G5 level. His answer made it seem like there's talk regarding more regionalized scheduling than realignment at this point.

Good stuff.

Always appreciate the links to your work 👍🏼
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Nice work as always, Damien.
Was there something in the tone of his voice or other responses that would lead you to that perspective. Because I didn't pick up that vibe at all from the content of the story and his quotes in particular. I do realize he may play his cards closer to the vest than just about any AD in America.
By Damien Sordelett
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: May 27th, 2020, 4:55 pm Nice work as always, Damien.
Was there something in the tone of his voice or other responses that would lead you to that perspective. Because I didn't pick up that vibe at all from the content of the story and his quotes in particular. I do realize he may play his cards closer to the vest than just about any AD in America.
He’s playing his cards very close to the vest. He always has and always will.

It is my sense conferences will primarily focus on regionalized scheduling in hopes to keep everything intact as it currently is. That makes the most sense based on current media rights contracts and bowl tie-ins through 2025. No conference commissioner wants to lose out on those pieces, not in this economic climate.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
A comment was made about some contests have already been scheduled that involves "substantial travel". I hope that includes softball games in Florida and/or Alabama.
By Ill flame
ballcoach15 wrote: May 27th, 2020, 8:40 pm A comment was made about some contests have already been scheduled that involves "substantial travel". I hope that includes softball games in Florida and/or Alabama.
I assumed he was mostly referring to fall sports that already made out most of their schedule
By Damien Sordelett
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: May 27th, 2020, 9:10 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: May 27th, 2020, 8:40 pm A comment was made about some contests have already been scheduled that involves "substantial travel". I hope that includes softball games in Florida and/or Alabama.
I assumed he was mostly referring to fall sports that already made out most of their schedule
That is correct. For example, the cross country team is competing at Oregon (women only) and at Oklahoma State. The trip to Stillwater is a pre-national event with the national championship slated to be run there.

Spring sports teams will likely play closer to home on a more frequent basis. The ASUN hasn’t stated this yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see three-game weekend series completed in two days to save on hotel stays.
ballcoach15 liked this
2024 Recruiting Discussion

UVA playing against a mid-pack MEAC team is their […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]