Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By sstaedtler
The problem I have with New Mexico State is if we continue to schedule an FCS school every year at home, that is two home games that don't generate much interest every year.

The 1st half of 2024 is great, but the second half isn't very interesting as you see below:

10/26 vs Texas State
11/02 OPEN
11/09 vs Campbell
11/16 @ UMass
11/23 @ FIU
11/30 vs New Mexico State
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler wrote: May 13th, 2020, 2:19 pm The problem I have with New Mexico State is if we continue to schedule an FCS school every year at home, that is two home games that don't generate much interest every year.

The 1st half of 2024 is great, but the second half isn't very interesting as you see below:

10/26 vs Texas State
11/02 OPEN
11/09 vs Campbell
11/16 @ UMass
11/23 @ FIU
You know what would make it more interesting? Playing for a Conference championship
By Ill flame
sstaedtler wrote: May 13th, 2020, 2:19 pm The problem I have with New Mexico State is if we continue to schedule an FCS school every year at home, that is two home games that don't generate much interest every year.

10/26 vs Texas State
11/02 OPEN
11/09 vs Campbell
11/16 @ UMass
11/23 @ FIU
This will likely always be the case as long as we are independent. BYU's schedules are also very front loaded.
By LUOrange
I'd much rather play any of the other FBS Independents, including NMSU and UMASS, than any of the FCS schools. We're FBS now and have to prove ourselves to our fans and to the public with our sports image, and FCS schools, IMO, don't help us. Playing the other independents just makes too much sense not to.
By Ill flame
I like the UCF game. I hope we start adding more aac teams in the future. Those games are way more attractive than c-usa, Sunbelt and mac

For those that keep saying we shouldn't schedule FCS teams. There are more pros than cons imo. Easy wins, easy money, allows for more schedule flexibility ( we can play more 2 for 1's if we can avoid 1 for 1's), it also doesn't make our schedule look much weaker considering everyone plays 1 FCS every year except a couple conferences.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: May 13th, 2020, 4:48 pm One FCS game counts for bowl eligibility every year. Smart move to keep them on the schedule.

Wish there were matchups closer to Texas. But that's just me bellyaching.
Yeah it would be kinda foolish to throw away a chance at an easy win
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Both of those years have at least 2 or 3 away games that would be easy road trips for the Old Men's Club (and others); and each year will have at least one or 2 marquee home games:
2023: ODU and UCONN
2024: MARSHALL and COASTAL
By chris leedlelee
As both a LU alum and a current UCF student. The 2024 game between the two has me more excited and torn than I've been in awhile. I guarantee I'll be the only fan there with a LU shirt on and a UCF hat.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: May 13th, 2020, 5:57 pm Both of those years have at least 2 or 3 away games that would be easy road trips for the Old Men's Club (and others); and each year will have at least one or 2 marquee home games:
2023: ODU and UCONN
2024: MARSHALL and COASTAL
I'll go to UConn, Marshall and Coastal. Not sure about ODU.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Scheduling an fcs team each year is a duh. As is umass and nmsu. You need pretty easy wins that count toward bowl eligibility and we need late november games. Those 2 along with uconn in the future offer both. And they do 1 for 1s. Fill the rest of the schedule out with other more attractive games.

You guys must not like going to bowl games. Even in 2024 those other g5 games are not going to be guaranteed wins. Now if we get to the point where we are 10 and 2 and 11 and 1 then yeah maybe we can boot some of those games but everybody needs the soft underbelly to bolster wins still. Unless your lsu this past year who just ran the table on everybody.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I have no issue with 1 FCS school every year. Nearly FBS school has one game against an FCS team. There aren't any good reasons why we shouldn't have one, but only one.
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 11:15 am So the 4 P5 games were an anomaly and the long term plan of 2 P5 games and local regional G5 is established per Ian. The die is cast. How excited are we?

https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/coll ... 80926.html
After seeing Ian's quotes in that article I'm much less optimistic about future schedules. Apparently our goal is to play very weak schedules from now on. UCF should not be considered a p5 opponent. They are a great program that I would love to see on the schedule more but they shouldn't be replacing a legit regional p5 school. Maybe we should join C-USA...
sstaedtler liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: May 14th, 2020, 6:37 pm
tyndal23 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 11:15 am So the 4 P5 games were an anomaly and the long term plan of 2 P5 games and local regional G5 is established per Ian. The die is cast. How excited are we?

https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/coll ... 80926.html
After seeing Ian's quotes in that article I'm much less optimistic about future schedules. Apparently our goal is to play very weak schedules from now on. UCF should not be considered a p5 opponent. They are a great program that I would love to see on the schedule more but they shouldn't be replacing a legit regional p5 school. Maybe we should join C-USA...
It sounded to me like LU was having a difficult time finding available and willing P5 opponents to fill the other slot
By Ill flame
ballcoach15 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 8:18 pm No matter who we play, just win. If we do that, everything will pan out.
I mostly agree with this but at some point we need to at least start putting a couple AAC teams on the schedule to make it tougher. Right now our schedules are Sunbelt/Mac level
sstaedtler liked this
By Jonathan Carone
Ill flame wrote: May 14th, 2020, 9:12 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 8:18 pm No matter who we play, just win. If we do that, everything will pan out.
I mostly agree with this but at some point we need to at least start putting a couple AAC teams on the schedule to make it tougher. Right now our schedules are Sunbelt/Mac level
That's because the rest of college football views us at mid to lower tier Sun Belt and MAC level.
By Ill flame
Jonathan Carone wrote: May 14th, 2020, 10:45 pm
Ill flame wrote: May 14th, 2020, 9:12 pm
That's because the rest of college football views us at mid to lower tier Sun Belt and MAC level.
Your right. I guess only time and winning can change that although our weak schedule doesn't give us many opportunities to turn heads.
By sstaedtler
The 2023 schedule is the worst of all the schedules. It does have South Carolina and Virginia, but outside of that, the MAC games don't excite me (4 of them) much and do nothing for Liberty fans regionally. Finishing with UConn, Umass, and then at New Mexico State is tough to get excited about. I get you get Old Dominion and Coastal Carolina, but there are about 8 out of 12 games that are hard to get excited about.

The rest of the schedules are decent enough. I think 2025-2027 schedules really have a lot of potential with what is already on there. I can live with only 2 power 5 schools IF you sprinkle in Appalachian State, BYU, Army, or any team from the AAC. Navy, Temple, Memphis, East Carolina, and USF would be teams I'd be interested in playing...
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]