This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 8:55 pm I will add, I'm tired of hearing corporations and Trump saying we're moving out of China for Vietnam. Just another communist country we have not business getting overly involved with. India I can deal with. But I prefer advanced manufacturing back to the Americas. EU needs to choose, continue to deal with China and eventually answer to China. Or come with us.
I agree for the most part on Vietnam, although I think we could work with them some because the dynamic would be different due to the size disparity and the leverage we would hold that we don't with China. India will be our go-to for a lot of things, especially pharma. It's a HUGE industry there already, and they supply much of the world. Just about anything I buy in a pharmacy here in the DR was made there. As far as "the Americas" for advanced manufacturing is concerned, I would say the US and Canada yes, Mexico to a lesser extent, just about anywhere else in the Western hemisphere, probably no. I'm pretty familiar with the work force in at least one of the other options, and I can say it would be a great potential source for clothing, PEDs and a lot of other basic things, but probably not high tech stuff. India, South Korea and Taiwan should be some of the options there.

I think the UK will be with us on this. Don't have nearly as much confidence in the EU, but hopefully they will wake up to reality. Here in the DR, there is a desperate need for jobs, as they have been overly dependent on tourism, which will not be the same for a long time, if ever.
Purple Haize liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
If you are looking to do manufacturing in a country that has equitable global trade policies, India wouldn't be the best bet. At least not yet.

There have been efforts to change things there but it is still a long way to go.

This is something my last employer had to deal with.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If Brazil weren't such a mess they'd make a great deal of sense with their abundant cheap workforce. But alas ...

For the record, the cost of producing much of anything in China has spiraled out of control making them less competitive on a global stage. Indonesia is another economy that continues to benefit from global manufacturing moving elsewhere. India has proven to be a tough nut to crack as they have witnessed how quickly the quality of life improved in China in a relatively short period of time. They are being overly cautious to not let American/Euro imperialism stal their moment. My clients have been maddened by the experience even though they have no choice to keep working because India is crucial to global success.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
India is a parliamentary democratic republic and they are extremely smart people. I would prefer though to see us bring a lot of it home and at the same time get our imagration system functioning properly and open it up to more legal immigrants from India, Mexico, central America and south America. We need an expanding population. A legal one so they are not forced to be an underclass.
By ElmersTwin
Purple Haize wrote: April 29th, 2020, 2:36 pm
ElmersTwin wrote: April 29th, 2020, 1:39 pm Well folks, looks like we might have a new candidate in the mix.

Justin Amash launches exploratory committee for the LP nomination.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/justin-ama ... committee/
He’s this cycles McMuffin
At least with more viability than either McMuffin or Johnson combined.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ElmersTwin wrote: April 29th, 2020, 4:27 pm
Purple Haize wrote: April 29th, 2020, 2:36 pm
ElmersTwin wrote: April 29th, 2020, 1:39 pm Well folks, looks like we might have a new candidate in the mix.

Justin Amash launches exploratory committee for the LP nomination.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/justin-ama ... committee/
He’s this cycles McMuffin
At least with more viability than either McMuffin or Johnson combined.
That’s a pretty low bar and I’m not quite sure he clears it. Being a former Republican and strident never Trumper he will certainly get praise heaped upon him by the MSM for his “integrity” and “courage”. Probably even get Mitt Romney to endorse him. I will be interested to see if the rest of the Never Trump Cadre (Kristol, Will, Rubin etc) fall in line to endorse him.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
What is odd is I have seen more written about this hurting Biden more than Trump in places like Michigan which makes zero sense to me.

He doesn't really appeal to the left but does appeal to a segment of conservative voters. It is still in its early stages but if you aren't part of one of the 2 major parties, you don't have a chance. A fact I have tirelessly spoken out against for years. It hurts our government far more than it helps it. That is a whole other discussion that I am far too tired to have.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 29th, 2020, 7:49 pm What is odd is I have seen more written about this hurting Biden more than Trump in places like Michigan which makes zero sense to me.

He doesn't really appeal to the left but does appeal to a segment of conservative voters. It is still in its early stages but if you aren't part of one of the 2 major parties, you don't have a chance. A fact I have tirelessly spoken out against for years. It hurts our government far more than it helps it. That is a whole other discussion that I am far too tired to have.
If you get bored and wanna go back in time to the Trump threads you will see that I said we already HAVE a 3rd Party President. Trump has been able to work with McConnel the last 2 years but Trumps were chaos. Imagining a world where a Green or Libertarian Party Candidate wins makes Trumps First 3 years look bipartisan and normal
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
the libertarian party has not really hurt any party in participating. establishment hating progressives will throw a vote towards the libertarian candidate (if no real green candidate is present) as almost equally as conservatives will. the libertarian party only gets protest votes mostly from either side of the aisle along with their small bastion of actual libertarians.

johnson got more votes than any other libertarian candidate. which is nice movement but still did nothing to really affect anything. unfortunately the libertarian party is so packed with full on looney tune nut jobs that is hard to rally around it.

"we are for unencumbered liberty!"
yes!
"taxation is theft!"
Yes!
"We should be free to make personal choices!"
Yes!
"Reptilian Aliens from the Draco System live under Antarctica and control our politicians!"
Ye-....wait what?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: April 30th, 2020, 3:59 pm
TH Spangler wrote: April 30th, 2020, 2:43 pm Cali has a Common Sence party.

https://cacommonsense.org/
Isn't this just the libertarians platform? I never understood why the libertarians haven't tried to win more elections at the state level in places like California
Until they do they will never have any credibility
Ill flame liked this
By ElmersTwin
RubberMallet wrote: April 30th, 2020, 1:30 pm the libertarian party has not really hurt any party in participating. establishment hating progressives will throw a vote towards the libertarian candidate (if no real green candidate is present) as almost equally as conservatives will. the libertarian party only gets protest votes mostly from either side of the aisle along with their small bastion of actual libertarians.

johnson got more votes than any other libertarian candidate. which is nice movement but still did nothing to really affect anything. unfortunately the libertarian party is so packed with full on looney tune nut jobs that is hard to rally around it.

"we are for unencumbered liberty!"
yes!
"taxation is theft!"
Yes!
"We should be free to make personal choices!"
Yes!
"Reptilian Aliens from the Draco System live under Antarctica and control our politicians!"
Ye-....wait what?
For every Amash, there's 3 John McAfees and Vermin Supremes.
By ElmersTwin
Purple Haize wrote: April 30th, 2020, 6:32 pm
Ill flame wrote: April 30th, 2020, 3:59 pm
TH Spangler wrote: April 30th, 2020, 2:43 pm Cali has a Common Sence party.

https://cacommonsense.org/
Isn't this just the libertarians platform? I never understood why the libertarians haven't tried to win more elections at the state level in places like California
Until they do they will never have any credibility
I've been to local LP meetings in the past. There are a few who are well-versed in politics, but most are your average joes who are in over their heads and would rather debate hypotheticals than do grassroots work. That, and the party is too decentralized and the election laws don't exactly make it easy to get off the ground.
Purple Haize liked this
I've seen a few of my suppliers shift their overseas factories to Brazil and Turkey . I think a strong pivot away from things like the UN on the pretense of human rights is a strong position that would be hard to criticize.

I can't imagine how bad a state we would be in without 3 years of pulling our manufacturing back to the US.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 9:14 am I've seen a few of my suppliers shift their overseas factories to Brazil and Turkey . I think a strong pivot away from things like the UN on the pretense of human rights is a strong position that would be hard to criticize.

I can't imagine how bad a state we would be in without 3 years of pulling our manufacturing back to the US.
As stated earlier I know our company is moving at least one manufacturing center back to the US. It’s been a slow trickle the last 3 years but you have to slow a train down before you turn it around. I certainly want to see someone in charge whose policies are going to increase the flow. With what the world has just gone through we have an opportunity to supercharge manufacturing again in this Country. Or at least this Hemisphere or at least Countries who kinda like us. I truly hope we seize this opportunity. But in US Politics you can almost guarantee we won’t! :D
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I was just linked to a live townhall with Tom Tillis NC. He took a poll. Should we hold China accountable, yes, no, dont know.

How about none of the above. We need to hold Washington leadership and corporate CEO's accountable.

Keep the dollar strong by paying off our debt to China. Pay it out of US globalist hides .... they profited. And then disconnect capitalism from communist labor, forever. :lol:
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:I was just linked to a live townhall with Tom Tillis NC. He took a poll. Should we hold China accountable, yes, no, dont know.
Nothing like pusillanimous politicians attempting to listen to their voters while throwing red meat at their base.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]