This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I've lost track of Winston a little. Baptist hospital is hugh. Any bank headquarter there now?

I remember 6 years ago we had 1000's of refugees from the middle east and Africa flying in and being settled in High Point. I'm guessing they're a large part of that community now?
adam42381 wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 2:24 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 12:34 pm Winston is an entirely different city now than the one I grew up around.
100%. We never went downtown. The areas that are thriving now (Trade/Liberty) were on the no-go list for us as kids.
I remember there was a venue in the early 2000s on (I think) 4th street. I went to a couple shows there. We would walk around between bands and it was always super sketchy. Now almost all of downtown is walkable with really great places to eat/hang out.
Cin Cin Burger Bar
Bibb’s BBQ
Camel City BBQ(but only because they have old school video games at the booths)

You’re welcome
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 3:30 pm
adam42381 wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 2:24 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 12:34 pm Winston is an entirely different city now than the one I grew up around.
100%. We never went downtown. The areas that are thriving now (Trade/Liberty) were on the no-go list for us as kids.
I remember there was a venue in the early 2000s on (I think) 4th street. I went to a couple shows there. We would walk around between bands and it was always super sketchy. Now almost all of downtown is walkable with really great places to eat/hang out.
I know there was some sort of club where Foothills is now. Not sure if that was it.
Purple Haize wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 3:43 pm Cin Cin Burger Bar
Bibb’s BBQ

You’re welcome
Camel City’s bbq is kinda terrible, IMO. You need to add Earl’s and Mission Pizza to your list.
Cider Jim wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 10:49 pm
tyndal23 wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 7:45 pm We getting out pimped by High Point ?
Have you ever been to High Point's campus? The place is a palace.

Did you notice that ours was listed as seating for 4,500? I was surprised that even Longwood is getting a new gym. :shock:
LU has always stated 4500 - but with “floor seating”. For hoops it’s 4,000. Check the original announcement still posted on LU website.
adam42381 wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 3:45 pm
Bibb’s BBQ

You’re welcome
Camel City’s bbq is kinda terrible, IMO. You need to add Earl’s and Mission Pizza to your list.
Camel City is a fun experience more than good food, especially if you have kids.

The chicken and waffles at Cin Can is so freaking good.

4th Street Bistro is pretty good. Ate their last spring on a prom night and the people watching was highly entertaining.

Haven't made it to Earl's or Mission yet.
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 4:09 pm
Bibb’s BBQ

You’re welcome
Camel City is a fun experience more than good food, especially if you have kids.

4th Street Bistro is pretty good. Ate their last spring on a prom night and the people watching was highly entertaining.

I’ve never even heard of 4th Street Bistro. What’s it close to? Earl’s makes a variety of excellent traditional southern food. Mission is probably the best Neapolitan pizza in the state. Not my favorite style (I prefer NY), but I highly recommend it.
Bibb’s BBQ

You’re welcome
That’s why I put the video game caveat in there. I do not know this Mission Pizza. What is Earl’s? Again I usually stay over at Hanes Mall area.
adam42381 wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 5:58 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 4:09 pm

I’ve never even heard of 4th Street Bistro. What’s it close to? Earl’s makes a variety of excellent traditional southern food. Mission is probably the best Neapolitan pizza in the state. Not my favorite style (I prefer NY), but I highly recommend it.
Oops. Fourth Street Filling Station. Closer to West End. Semi upscale.
adam42381 liked this
Williams Stadium - so if I read it right - no skyline changes for 2020 - just upgrading the suites and glassing in 4 and 5th stories. 2021 adding the two suites on level 3 ( which change the skyline ). My opinion - if they add the level 3 suites - bottom floor walls should be built to handle weight of level 4 and 5 - short sighted if they don’t. Drawing isn’t very inspiring for the additional level 3 add ons. Love the fact they are upgrading existing suites and rest of the news...
thepostman liked this
I think they should go ahead and build out the full width as bottom level at all 5 levels with roof same height across - even if there isn’t home demand right away - can rent out suites to opposing teams for a bit - Guaranteed VTech and BYU would rent them out
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 10:34 pm I don’t love the rendering of the third floor suites. They look out of place. I hope when they’re done it’ll look better.
Agree. Basically two little buildings built on the sides of the tower. If they are going to stop at that, they should at least turn the rooftops into patio decks.
Purple Haize wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 6:04 pm
Bibb’s BBQ

You’re welcome
That’s why I put the video game caveat in there. I do not know this Mission Pizza. What is Earl’s? Again I usually stay over at Hanes Mall area.
Earl’s caters to the bar crowd at night, but it’s family friendly during the day. Very good southern food.

https://www.earlsws.com/
By tyndal23
Not sure if staff is reluctant to do a reveal until players see LFC first - but in my opinion they really need to get a tour online ASAP ( and a very high quality and extensive one ) recruits have way too much time on their hands and are checking out every scrap of video on potential programs. I have been touring every teams facilities on YouTube out of boredom - I imagine it is the first thing a recruit does when he gets an offer - we pull up Rashad Jennings giving a tour of the old one from years ago. The way both HF and Ian answered was vague about when a virtual tour might be coming - hoping it is days not several weeks...
tyndal23 wrote: April 14th, 2020, 10:47 am Not sure if staff is reluctant to do a reveal until players see LFC first - but in my opinion they really need to get a tour online ASAP ( and a very high quality and extensive one ) recruits have way too much time on their hands and are checking out every scrap of video on potential programs. I have been touring every teams facilities on YouTube out of boredom - I imagine it is the first thing a recruit does when he gets an offer - we pull up Rashad Jennings giving a tour of the old one from years ago. The way both HF and Ian answered was vague about when a virtual tour might be coming - hoping it is days not several weeks...
Well we fixed that. Looks solid !!!
ballcoach15 liked this
Wow, that LFC, that is something for sure. Has a Power 5 feel all over it. Replace the logo with any big name out there in the college football world and it would be indistinguishable. Between this and our other facilities for athletes, I couldn't see why we couldn't pull some of the best recruits at least at the Go5 level.
By Ill flame
I think the biggest difference between this facility and a lot of top notch p5 facilities is the bells and whistles that aren't really necessary. For example Illinois just opened a new facility this fall that has mini golf, bowling alley, barbershop, game room and NFL alumni locker room.
The actual functional part of this facility is on par with many p5's though from what I've seen.
Ill flame wrote: April 17th, 2020, 11:03 pm I think the biggest difference between this facility and a lot of top notch p5 facilities is the bells and whistles that aren't really necessary. For example Illinois just opened a new facility this fall that has mini golf, bowling alley, barbershop, game room and NFL alumni locker room.
The actual functional part of this facility is on par with many p5's though from what I've seen.
Agreed - most P5 have more square footage but a lot of that is wasted space in terms of practical player use or incorporate a training table ( that we have but in a separate location ) or a trophy room or Athletic Center combined in the same building. LU appears comfortably snug, but not too small. It really fits like a glove within the stadium and blends in perfect ( something few schools have perfected ).

The Michigan mud room is the most unique and practical use of space where they have players strip down to shorts - shower and head straight through the hot cold walk in pools right off the practice field. Very efficient set up.
( I have watched every single FBS facility tour available on YouTube ) and that was about the only thing I have seen that was unique that LU doesn’t have that directly effects player performance . That plus maybe an indoor incline turf ( but LU has plenty of hills outside players can go run ).

Thanks Jerry and nice work Ian. Keep the train rolling. ( let’s rethink the architect renderings on the West Side - you can do better ).
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: April 17th, 2020, 11:03 pm I think the biggest difference between this facility and a lot of top notch p5 facilities is the bells and whistles that aren't really necessary. For example Illinois just opened a new facility this fall that has mini golf, bowling alley, barbershop, game room and NFL alumni locker room.
I think Manson had a reply that got lost ...

Apparently the new LFC has a barbershop
Purple Haize, Ill flame liked this
tyndal23 wrote: April 20th, 2020, 9:56 pm
Agreed - most P5 have more square footage but a lot of that is wasted space in terms of practical player use or incorporate a training table

It's less about practical player use at that point and more about impressing kids with mini golf and other things they will probably rarely use. At that point the facilities are already very practical so recruiting becomes the biggest focus.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]