This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

oldflame wrote: March 25th, 2020, 9:41 pm Apparently the unemployment benefit portion of the bill pays $600/week on top of whatever the states maximum benefit is, which in most states would work out to at least $25/hr for full time workers. There will be a ton of people making substantially more not working than they made working. The republicans are pushing for an amendment to limit benefits to 100% of their previous income for the obvious reason that paying more will be a disincentive to work, and the Dems are going crazy.
Most states only give you 50% of your earnings in unemployment a week. 600 at 40 hours a week is $15 an hour. To get up to $25 an hour combined some would have to be making $20 an hour, not accounting for any dependents.
thepostman wrote: March 26th, 2020, 12:02 pm Yeah, my income hasn't been altered at all obviously since I am in the military and it is odd I'll be receiving an extra paycheck but the idea is it'll help jumpstart the economy. jokes on them because I'll just give some to my church and the rest will go into my savings account.
That money in the savings account is more money banks have to use for loans though
thepostman liked this
lynchburgwildcats wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 12:16 pm
thepostman wrote: March 26th, 2020, 12:02 pm Yeah, my income hasn't been altered at all obviously since I am in the military and it is odd I'll be receiving an extra paycheck but the idea is it'll help jumpstart the economy. jokes on them because I'll just give some to my church and the rest will go into my savings account.
That money in the savings account is more money banks have to use for loans though
But the banks can get all they want from the Fed at 0%.
Purple Haize, JK37 liked this
TH Spangler wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 10:21 am Can you get your small business loan using your moble app or at the teller machine. Banks have skeleton staff. They canned humans several years ago :lol:
The PPP process seems easy... Just need to be sure you know what you are getting. I'm tied between laying people off and sitting back it using this to bring them back, thereby having to create work for them. Most of my employees serve the hospitality industry
By LUDad
https://www.theblaze.com/news/nyc-mayor ... rimination

Begging for help and resources, a Franklin Graham shows up with a 70 bed hospital. Fully equipped with with volunteer doctors, nurses, etc., & NYC bashes them. This is what is so so wrong about LGBTQ groups. They seek to destroy any one who does not celebrate their lifestyle, even those who are willing to jeopardize their health to save them.
Last edited by LUDad on April 3rd, 2020, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not enough has been said about what is probably the single biggest contributor to the continued spread of COVID-19 in NYC. While almost all businesses are closed to achieve social distancing, the masses continue to travel from place to place packed like sardines in a can in subway cars, most of them with nothing to protect themselves or others. Not sure how it would be enforced, but IMHO it would help A LOT if no one was allowed to get onto a train, bus or any other form of public transportation without at least a simple cloth mask/scarf/bandana covering their nose and mouth.

Sounds like our medical experts have finally wised up and stopped "sacrificing the good on the alter of the perfect" regarding the use of masks for the general public.
I got raked over the coals a bit a while back for even suggesting that while ventilators can prolong the lives of the most seriously ill victims of the virus, it isn't clear they actually save many of them, and their use involves a whole other set of complicating factors. This article comes from npr, hardly a right-wing source. It is sobering.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... 9-patients

To the best of my knowledge, there is still not a single case in the US of a patient dying prematurely because a ventilator was not available, and I'm praying that will continue to be the case, but what is going to actually save lives is going to be advancements in treating the disease itself. The resources for doing that are coming from entirely different sources than the ventilators, so it's not like we are "robbing Peter to Pay Paul". WE CAN DO BOTH. With treatments that work, the extra time the ventilators can buy will hopefully begin to result in more lives saved.
What's all this about a tiger in the Bronz Zoo getting the caronavirus? Any animal lovers following this story? I thought cats and dogs couldn't get COVID-19. :dontgetit
Cider Jim wrote: April 5th, 2020, 7:55 pm What's all this about a tiger in the Bronz Zoo getting the caronavirus? Any animal lovers following this story? I thought cats and dogs couldn't get COVID-19. :dontgetit
Coumo's next press conference he'll be crying about not having enough tiger compatible ventilators.
oldflame wrote: April 5th, 2020, 8:35 pm
Cider Jim wrote: April 5th, 2020, 7:55 pm What's all this about a tiger in the Bronz Zoo getting the caronavirus? Any animal lovers following this story? I thought cats and dogs couldn't get COVID-19. :dontgetit
Coumo's next press conference he'll be crying about not having enough tiger compatible ventilators.
He needs to bring Carole Baskins to justice and #freejoeexotic :mrgreen:
Unexpected good news on the coronavirus front yesterday.
New cases in the US down from over 34,000 the previous day to 25,316. First time this number has not gone up since 3/21. That's a 25% decrease. :shock:
Some of that may be attributable to having gotten caught up on testing everyone who was already sick.

Deaths were also down by about 160 nationwide, which is not as big a drop, but is actually more surprising since this number is supposed to "lag behind" when the curve starts to drop. Hopefully this is a result of the doctors getting a better handle on how to treat it. It's only one day, but it's certainly encouraging. This was not supposed to happen for at least another week to 10 days.
Purple Haize liked this
I want to know if the tests are so valuable and in short supply, what are we doing testing zoo animals?
Purple Haize liked this
flamehunter wrote: April 6th, 2020, 7:42 am
I want to know if the tests are so valuable and in short supply, what are we doing testing zoo animals?
It's actually a different test. The zoo was very careful to point that out.
flamehunter liked this
Three things I'm finding interesting:

1) Antibody plasma - This study came out last Thursday. Essentially, in China they tested using antibody-rich plasma from five patients who had recovered from COVID-19. The five patients they tested it on were all on ventilators. Three of them have been discharged and two others are in stable condition as of last week.

2) TB Vaccine - I think it was mentioned here before, but the TB vaccine that's already in production in developing nations is under clinical trial in a few different countries. A doctor in Boston is trying to start a trial here. They think they can get results by the end of July/early August.

3) Pitt thinks they have a vaccine - Pitt's med school announced last week they think they have a vaccine for COVID-19. They said they had experience with previous versions of the virus so they knew where to fight the new version.
thepostman liked this
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]