If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
Average attendance through the regular season was 4,759. An increase of 1,774 from last season. Special things are starting to happen for this program. Whether you agree with the size of the new arena or not, the crowds should be electric compared to vines.
tyndal23 liked this
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 9:38 pm Average attendance through the regular season was 4,759. An increase of 1,774 from last season. Special things are starting to happen for this program. Whether you agree with the size of the new arena or not, the crowds should be electric compared to vines.
Can we toss out the games where students weren’t on campus and then also get an avg. for weeknight vs weekend games?
By tyndal23
Watching Duke - just realized student section is opposite bench but there is absolutely no aisle entire width - packed in like sardines - has to be bleachers and not chair backs - and almost on the floor ( like high school ) why isn’t anyone else mimicking this with the newer arenas.
By Class of 20Something
tyndal23 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 10:31 pm
Ill flame wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 9:38 pm Average attendance through the regular season was 4,759. An increase of 1,774 from last season. Special things are starting to happen for this program. Whether you agree with the size of the new arena or not, the crowds should be electric compared to vines.
Can we toss out the games where students weren’t on campus and then also get an avg. for weeknight vs weekend games?
I’m on the road and don’t have my laptop with the excel I’ve been tracking on. I’ll get that for you in a day or so.
Purple Haize liked this
By Ill flame
It looks like we averaged 5,312 on the weekend games if you throw out the home game over Thanksgiving break. We really didn't play many home games while students were gone but I'll let @Class of 20Something dig a little deeper into the numbers.
tyndal23 liked this
By LUOrange
I think our crowds would've been a little larger if we didn't have weird tip-off times like 4 & 5 PM and we actually had decent parking. Obviously, parking has always been an issue.
By tyndal23
BYU home crowd for Gonzaga was unreal energy. Texas and Shaka Smart other end of the spectrum with completely empty arena Thursday night (embarrassed all of Big 12 ). I guess winning % effects attendance considerably more in hoops than football. Baylor home crowd legit vs Kansas ( as it should be 1 vs 3 ). Still amazed at where Baylor athletics as a whole have become. Very impressive. Been perusing arenas / attendance all season with ESPN + - LU attendance nothing to be ashamed of compared to most.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 10:35 pm Watching Duke - just realized student section is opposite bench but there is absolutely no aisle entire width - packed in like sardines - has to be bleachers and not chair backs - and almost on the floor ( like high school ) why isn’t anyone else mimicking this with the newer arenas.
Why would you want too? I’m guessing you’ve never been to a game at Duke. You realize students camp out for tickets. They are a notoriously rabid fan base. LU’s students will be deterred by a dip in barometric pressure
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 12:59 am I think our crowds would've been a little larger if we didn't have weird tip-off times like 4 & 5 PM and we actually had decent parking. Obviously, parking has always been an issue.
A more true post has never been posted. Parking has been an issue for years. Hopefully parking garage on east campus will alleviate many of the parking issues.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 9:23 pm 6,762 in attendance. Can always put a big screen outside the arena.
The Trump Rally model. 8) He could book bigger venues, but he knows it's better to be packed out with overflow outside than to ever have empty seats for the fake news to focus on.
Actually, we could put overflow in the Vines when the demand is sufficient. Much better option than moving the game there.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 8:28 am
tyndal23 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 10:35 pm Watching Duke - just realized student section is opposite bench but there is absolutely no aisle entire width - packed in like sardines - has to be bleachers and not chair backs - and almost on the floor ( like high school ) why isn’t anyone else mimicking this with the newer arenas.
Why would you want too? I’m guessing you’ve never been to a game at Duke. You realize students camp out for tickets. They are a notoriously rabid fan base. LU’s students will be deterred by a dip in barometric pressure
I think a tradition of winning and excellence has helped build Duke's fan base over many decades. That and a natural in-state rival with UNC. From what I understand, in the old D-II days, games against Longwood were wild, as the early D-I days in the Big South against Radford. Obviously we have outgrown and moved past both those programs, but we need to keep winning and develop a rivalry with someone. ODU seems to be a good choice, as they have a history of being decent at basketball and hopefully a developing rivalry in football as well.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The in-state school that is at or near where we are and we have played a few times recently is VCU. I would put them a notch over ODU on the potential rivalry list. We are also playing Radford again next year (at their place) and it would seem logical to continue that going forward.
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 8:28 am
U guessed right I have never been to a Duke home game. I have been to an LU game sitting in pull out bleachers packed in the Schilling Center and crowd had a lot more energy than when we moved to Vines - exact same student body and team. The students will be the last to be deterred by record if the event experience is entertaining enough. ( outside the loyal old men’s club of course ). The horde of empty season tickets sitting empty are the biggest issue.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 1:19 pm The in-state school that is at or near where we are and we have played a few times recently is VCU. I would put them a notch over ODU on the potential rivalry list. We are also playing Radford again next year (at their place) and it would seem logical to continue that going forward.
Oh, I agree VCU is a better program for basketball - but VCU doesn't have a football program. If we can get a decent rivalry with ODU in football, no reason that couldn't spill over into basketball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: February 25th, 2020, 10:00 am
oldflame wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 1:19 pm The in-state school that is at or near where we are and we have played a few times recently is VCU. I would put them a notch over ODU on the potential rivalry list. We are also playing Radford again next year (at their place) and it would seem logical to continue that going forward.
Oh, I agree VCU is a better program for basketball - but VCU doesn't have a football program. If we can get a decent rivalry with ODU in football, no reason that couldn't spill over into basketball.
Good point. Looking at both sports, it would be great.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: February 25th, 2020, 10:03 am
ATrain wrote: February 25th, 2020, 10:00 am
Good point. Looking at both sports, it would be great.
I just can't see ODU becoming a big rival for Liberty in any sport. ODU just doesn't "move the needle" in college athletics.. ODU's footprint doesn't extend past the 757 area code area in Virginia. I'm not sure it even extends outside Norfolk city limits. How can anyone get excited about a Liberty vs ODU game in any sport ?
chris leedlelee liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 3:26 pm East Carolina might even be a possibility.
Do you realize that via emojis I rolled my eyeballs and laughed out loud at your suggestion that Marshall is a potential rival? And you LIKED the post? :dontgetit

I believe we are scheduled to play ECU in football sometime in the near future. We'll see how that goes. We beat them by 20 in basketball at their place this year. I don't see either them or Marshall as being a logical rivalry unless we join either C-USA or the AAC. Your opinion of ODU is just that, your opinion. Yes, we rolled over them last year in football, but that's one game. They are an in state team at our level who seems open to playing us, and they actually have a very strong fan base. Can't say that about anyone else right now.
chris leedlelee liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 3:28 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: February 25th, 2020, 3:26 pm I have confirmed there is no GA seating in the new arena. Y’all better pony up for flames club if you want good seats.
There goes the Ole Men's Club
Ballcoach, most of the Old Men's Club are Flames Club members and season ticket holders. :oldhag
By Ill flame
I doubt we will see a meaningful rivalry until we join a more permanent conference and establish who we are as a school. Some of you like the idea of odu because they are in a similar place as us athletically at the moment. Others only see teams like odu as temporary before we continue to improve and outgrow that rivalry like Radford.

Unfortunately more established programs like Virginia or tech already have rivalries so I don't see an obvious answer here. I think it's become more obvious once we move up to a better conference. East Carolina would be the obvious answer if we joined the AAC for example. Until then I doubt we will have a true rival.
LUOrange, phoenix liked this

Long snapper for UCLA https://twitter.com/ryanwil[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]