If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BlueBlood
Last week was my first game in the Vines. When I got my GA ticket, they explained to me where I could sit and pointed to a couple sections and said "except there, that is season tickets and reserved". What I noticed is that those are the sections that never seem full when I see games on TV. That side was so sparse at the NJIT game that I wish I had gone over there and taken pictures backward toward the side I was sitting on.

I hope this doesn't create a situation next year where LU is turning people away at the gates, but inside the building there are very sparse sections because season ticket holders didn't show up and didn't redistribute their ticket.

I think that if the new arena sat 5000, there wouldn't be much back and forth on here. The 4000 limit sure creates a lot of dialogue.
Purple Haize, LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
oldflame wrote: February 21st, 2020, 8:28 am
Geraldos Mustache wrote: February 21st, 2020, 12:32 am
Ill flame wrote:With one home game left in the regular season the average attendance is up to 4,276 through 13 games.
The new stadium will seat 4000. That means we would have had several sold out games with people competing for seats to watch LU basketball. That is an amazing thing. Very good move to go with a smaller stadium and create demand for seats. This is going to be awesome. Just need to keep winning!
My main concern with next year is that the move will correspond with a major rebuilding year on the court. I'm cautiously optimistic that the new and returning players will step up and continue the positive trend, but to expect the level of success we have had the last 2 years after losing Caleb, Scottie, Georgie and Myo would be unrealistic. I have no doubt that Ritchie will do a great job of "managing expectations" with the players. The fan base is another matter.
Attendance always lags one year behind. Our amazing attendance this year is largely a product of our success last season. Our attendance next year will be fine. Especially if we make the tourney
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: February 21st, 2020, 9:39 am
oldflame wrote: February 21st, 2020, 8:28 am
Geraldos Mustache wrote: February 21st, 2020, 12:32 am

The new stadium will seat 4000. That means we would have had several sold out games with people competing for seats to watch LU basketball. That is an amazing thing. Very good move to go with a smaller stadium and create demand for seats. This is going to be awesome. Just need to keep winning!
My main concern with next year is that the move will correspond with a major rebuilding year on the court. I'm cautiously optimistic that the new and returning players will step up and continue the positive trend, but to expect the level of success we have had the last 2 years after losing Caleb, Scottie, Georgie and Myo would be unrealistic. I have no doubt that Ritchie will do a great job of "managing expectations" with the players. The fan base is another matter.
Attendance always lags one year behind. Our amazing attendance this year is largely a product of our success last season. Our attendance next year will be fine. Especially if we make the tourney
I have absolutely no doubt that between the new arena and the success of the previous 2 years, There will not be many (if any) empty seats early on. Whether that will continue if the team struggles early is the question. Liberty fans have a bit of a history of becoming entitled and having unrealistic expectations following success.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote: February 21st, 2020, 8:50 am Last week was my first game in the Vines. When I got my GA ticket, they explained to me where I could sit and pointed to a couple sections and said "except there, that is season tickets and reserved". What I noticed is that those are the sections that never seem full when I see games on TV. That side was so sparse at the NJIT game that I wish I had gone over there and taken pictures backward toward the side I was sitting on.

I hope this doesn't create a situation next year where LU is turning people away at the gates, but inside the building there are very sparse sections because season ticket holders didn't show up and didn't redistribute their ticket.

I think that if the new arena sat 5000, there wouldn't be much back and forth on here. The 4000 limit sure creates a lot of dialogue.
Yeah. I’ve advocated for a smaller venue but not that small. I get the economics of it Etc. But there has to have been a happy medium somewhere
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 21st, 2020, 10:20 am
BlueBlood wrote: February 21st, 2020, 8:50 am Last week was my first game in the Vines. When I got my GA ticket, they explained to me where I could sit and pointed to a couple sections and said "except there, that is season tickets and reserved". What I noticed is that those are the sections that never seem full when I see games on TV. That side was so sparse at the NJIT game that I wish I had gone over there and taken pictures backward toward the side I was sitting on.

Yeah. I’ve advocated for a smaller venue but not that small. I get the economics of it Etc. But there has to have been a happy medium somewhere
I will also admit that I was surprised, and initially disappointed, that they went as small as they did. After further thought, I'm fine with it. It will be fantastic in the short term, and If anything, it tells me that this could end up being an interim step. If things continue on their current upward trend there will be another move made when and if it is justified, at which point Liberty Arena will be an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING long-term home for WBB and Volleyball. 5000 or more would be too big for that.
Ill flame, LUOrange liked this
By BlueBlood
oldflame wrote: February 21st, 2020, 12:32 pm I will also admit that I was surprised, and initially disappointed, that they went as small as they did. After further thought, I'm fine with it. It will be fantastic in the short term, and If anything, it tells me that this could end up being an interim step. If things continue on their current upward trend there will be another move made when and if it is justified, at which point Liberty Arena will be an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING long-term home for WBB and Volleyball. 5000 or more would be too big for that.
I think another "tell" is that the new roof renderings for Vines show the athletics logo on it.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
To me the new Arena only makes sense for it to be temporary while we're an ASUN or low-major conference school. Even with it's amenities, it's too small and inadequate for the AAC or better. It's justified, if we're going there while the Vines gers renovated and the long term goal for it is to house WBB and Volleyball. I think it's just going to be way too small for non-Christmas break games, especially big conference games. IMO 6K would have been about right for a smaller venue. Otherwise, they should've just built a separate convocation center or another basketball arena somewhere else on campus.

If it were up to me, next year MBB would remain int the Vines except during Christmas break games and when we play Central VA Community College, EC Glass High School, or KY Christian. Although, I can see our attendance dropping should our performance drop rather quickly and/or if we remain in the ASUN longer than expected.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: February 21st, 2020, 4:56 pm To me the new Arena only makes sense for it to be temporary while we're an ASUN or low-major conference school. Even with it's amenities, it's too small and inadequate for the AAC or better. It's justified, if we're going there while the Vines gers renovated and the long term goal for it is to house WBB and Volleyball. I think it's just going to be way too small for non-Christmas break games, especially big conference games. IMO 6K would have been about right for a smaller venue. Otherwise, they should've just built a separate convocation center or another basketball arena somewhere else on campus.

If it were up to me, next year MBB would remain int the Vines except during Christmas break games and when we play Central VA Community College, EC Glass High School, or KY Christian. Although, I can see our attendance dropping should our performance drop rather quickly and/or if we remain in the ASUN longer than expected.
I have to disagree strongly. Total attendance is just a number in the box score. It has little to do with having an environment which maximizes our teams opportunity to win. In my 45 years following Liberty basketball I have traveled to see the Flames play on the road in somewhere around 30 different venues. Toughest place to play? Charleston Southern's "Buckdome", Capacity under 900, jam packed every one of the 10-12 times I was there, and LOUD. The fact is, there have only been 2 games this year where our attendance exceeded the capacity of the new arena by any significant amount, and only 3 where there were more fans than empty seats. That is coming off our best season ever and first NCAA tournament win, on track for an even better record, and have not lost at home.

Speculation about the arena being too small if we move to a stronger conference is pointless and premature at this point. We are in the ASUN, and will be for the foreseeable future and I believe the environment in Liberty Arena is going to help make us really hard to beat at home, even next year, when we may go through some growing pains with the loss of these 4 Seniors.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I have an idea. This year, I purchased 2 season basketball tickets. I love about an hour and and a half away from Lynchburg. I have only went to 3 home games this year. I consider the rest just a donation. It's not a problem with the Vines, but what about when the new arena opens? I think Liberty should make an app for season ticket holders for basketball. If a season ticket holder knows they arent going to make a game, they could mark that they arent using their ticket in the app, maybe the deadline would be mark it at least 3 hours before tipoff, and then the single ticket could be resold. This way, LU could actually make money on the same ticket sale twice, plus it opens up more seats for those trying to buy tickets at the door, plus it helps to preserve a full arena look.
LU 57, BlueBlood liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 1:44 am I have an idea. This year, I purchased 2 season basketball tickets. I love about an hour and and a half away from Lynchburg. I have only went to 3 home games this year. I consider the rest just a donation. It's not a problem with the Vines, but what about when the new arena opens? I think Liberty should make an app for season ticket holders for basketball. If a season ticket holder knows they arent going to make a game, they could mark that they arent using their ticket in the app, maybe the deadline would be mark it at least 3 hours before tipoff, and then the single ticket could be resold. This way, LU could actually make money on the same ticket sale twice, plus it opens up more seats for those trying to buy tickets at the door, plus it helps to preserve a full arena look.
Pro Sports teams do something like this. I’m not sure if a lot of college teams do this. But I suggested it earlier so obviously I think it’s a brilliant solution you are proposing :D
jimflamesfan, alabama24 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Those numbers might even be higher for Senior Day at 5:00 this afternoon.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have seen several posts referencing next year and a drop off in performance. Hopefully we are close to the point where we reload instead of rebuild.
This goes for every sport. It's important to have a good season every year, not 1 or 2 every 5 years. Granted there may be a down year from time to time.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 10:08 am I have seen several posts referencing next year and a drop off in performance. Hopefully we are close to the point where we reload instead of rebuild.
This goes for every sport. It's important to have a good season every year, not 1 or 2 every 5 years. Granted there may be a down year from time to time.
We have an outstanding recruiting class coming in, but whether you call it "rebuilding" or "reloading", it's a lot to expect for Freshmen to replace the production of Seniors as good as we have. It would help tremendously if we can fill our one remaining scholarship with the right graduate transfer. I'm sure you are OK with that since it's Liberty and not a school on your "not like" list.
ballcoach15 liked this
By LU 57
jimflamesfan wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 1:44 am I have an idea. This year, I purchased 2 season basketball tickets. I love about an hour and and a half away from Lynchburg. I have only went to 3 home games this year. I consider the rest just a donation. It's not a problem with the Vines, but what about when the new arena opens? I think Liberty should make an app for season ticket holders for basketball. If a season ticket holder knows they arent going to make a game, they could mark that they arent using their ticket in the app, maybe the deadline would be mark it at least 3 hours before tipoff, and then the single ticket could be resold. This way, LU could actually make money on the same ticket sale twice, plus it opens up more seats for those trying to buy tickets at the door, plus it helps to preserve a full arena look.
I’m in the same boat for football. I feel bad about leaving my seats open and I try and give them away, but am not always successful. Of course it has been less of an issue since we made the jump to FBS.
jimflamesfan liked this
By LUDad
I think more people would likely follow through with the process if they had some incentive. For instance, if the tickets were resold, the one giving up the tickets would get half the value of the tickets as credit towards next seasons purchase or towards their club membership.
jimflamesfan liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 2:30 pm
I think more people would likely follow through with the process if they had some incentive. For instance, if the tickets were resold, the one giving up the tickets would get half the value of the tickets as credit towards next seasons purchase or towards their club membership.
3 things to maximize the participation in something like this:

1) Make the process super simple.
2) Set up some sort of incentive.
3) Send reminders prior to every game asking people to participate if they will not be attending.
jimflamesfan, BlueBlood liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
This is a wheel that’s already been invented
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]