If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By hoop20
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 9th, 2019, 9:41 am Turning fans away would be great! That’s how you build an atmosphere. Last night was a giant crowd but they were consistently loud. If you made the environment exclusive and a big deal, the people who would be in there would be more likely to be engaged with the game instead of sitting and waiting for big moments.
Agreed. In the student section last night, other students kept yelling at students in front of them to sit down because they were blocking their view. I agree engagement could be much better in the smaller arena.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There was one you didn't have to tell.

It was good that crowd was so big, some students had to sit in Ole Men's Club Section. There were 2 girls from Philadelphia sitting beside me.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 9th, 2019, 4:57 pm There were 2 girls from Philadelphia sitting beside me.
And you were coaching them up! :blahblah
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote: November 9th, 2019, 11:21 am You’ll be lucky to see half that.
Considering the time and the opponent, 4000 would in some ways be more impressive than 7800 was Friday night.
By tyndal23
Was surprised of the lack of conversation the new roof announcement generated on here. It isn’t my arches around the edges and copper dome that out does ND, but definitely an improvement. Never would have thought about lowering it 30 feet. Will be very interested to see how they do all of this. Love that it coincides with opening of Liberty Arena.
Purple Haize liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
tyndal23 wrote: January 20th, 2020, 1:26 pm Was surprised of the lack of conversation the new roof announcement generated on here. It isn’t my arches around the edges and copper dome that out does ND, but definitely an improvement. Never would have thought about lowering it 30 feet. Will be very interested to see how they do all of this. Love that it coincides with opening of Liberty Arena.
I wish they would have spoken more about WHY they lowered the roof by 30 feet. Speculation would be

> More energy efficient (less space to heat/cool)
> More intimate environment
> Better acoustics
> Louder game atmosphere
> Reduce sight line obstacle caused by such a large dome
Purple Haize liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: January 20th, 2020, 1:26 pm Was surprised of the lack of conversation the new roof announcement generated on here. It isn’t my arches around the edges and copper dome that out does ND, but definitely an improvement. Never would have thought about lowering it 30 feet. Will be very interested to see how they do all of this. Love that it coincides with opening of Liberty Arena.
Based on renderings, they might be lowering the ultimate height of the roof, but it appears that the exterior walls are higher. I’d guess that a less bulbous interior will improve acoustics.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: January 20th, 2020, 4:04 pm
I wish they would have spoken more about WHY they lowered the roof by 30 feet. Speculation would be

> Better acoustics
> Louder game atmosphere
4 of the 5 are valid. As far as "louder game atmosphere" is concerned............... What game? Not sure what it will take to get across the fact that there are NO plans to play basketball or any other sport in the Vines Center once the new arena is completed. None. Nunca. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
By tyndal23
oldflame wrote: January 20th, 2020, 4:39 pm
Geraldos Mustache wrote: January 20th, 2020, 4:04 pm

> Better acoustics
> Louder game atmosphere
4 of the 5 are valid. As far as "louder game atmosphere" is concerned............... What game? Not sure what it will take to get across the fact that there are NO plans to play basketball or any other sport in the Vines Center once the new arena is completed. None. Nunca. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
There are no current plans per Ritchie and Ian, but certainly it is open per Jr original announcement. At some point if we are flirting with large conferences, having a large arena for conference championships etc or for marquee matchups - good to have in your back pocket. . I imagine by the time LU ever does have a game in there, it will look much different - meaning once the roof is done - a second upgrade happens on the inside - lighting package, plush walls- not that expensive to make it seem like a new building once roof is done.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
After the new basketball arena opens it would be a bad decision to ever host a home game in the Vines center. It then becomes at best a neutral site game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 20th, 2020, 9:38 pm It would be a good option to have 10 years from now when we are in the aac and we have outgrown the new arena 😉
By then we will be playing all home games in Dallas at Jerry World
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 20th, 2020, 9:33 pm After the new basketball arena opens it would be a bad decision to ever host a home game in the Vines center. It then becomes at best a neutral site game.
I would be surprised if Ritchie's new contract does not contain a clause saying we agree to play all home games in the new arena once it is completed.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I just can't wait for the new arena to open. It looks like it'll be beautiful and once people hear how loud it is,all this other stuff will go away.
By Jonathan Carone
My hope for student tickets is that it’ll be a points based system. The more events you go to, the better you position yourself to get tickets to basketball. That’ll help improve attendance at our Olympic sports and ensure the most passionate students get in.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 20th, 2020, 10:30 pm What if we were to host ASUN championship?
What about it?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 20th, 2020, 10:30 pm What if we were to host ASUN championship?
In our Big South days, didn't Kyle Kallander think that the Vines Center was TOO BIG to host a conference tournament?
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: