Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ill flame
I don't really get the big 10 hate. They are consistently the second best conference in football and are the best basketball conference this year. Usually going back and forth between them and the ACC.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 18th, 2020, 10:49 am I don't really get the big 10 hate. They are consistently the second best conference in football and are the best basketball conference this year. Usually going back and forth between them and the ACC.
Ballcoach has is biases and has a hard time looking at anything objectively. The Big 10 is consistantly the 2nd or 3rd best football conference by most metrics.

I mean I think the SEC is severely overrated but that is just my opinion and so I can't parade it around as fact. The numbers don't lie and prove that they are consistently the best football conference. Proving my bias wrong.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I hate Big 10 for several reasons:

Over rated most seasons

They are not in the South or Southeast part of the nation

Their Commissioner and the conference holds the playoffs and bowl system hostage by insisting the Rose Bowl has to be played on a certain date and time. Every other bowl game and playoff game has to be scheduled around Rose Bowl.
Rose Bowl most years is worst bowl game of them all.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 18th, 2020, 11:50 am I hate Big 10 for several reasons:

Over rated most seasons

Their Commissioner and the conference holds the playoffs and bowl system hostage by insisting the Rose Bowl has to be played on a certain date and time. Every other bowl game and playoff game has to be scheduled around Rose Bowl.
So is this the case for other things too like people groups, businesses, resorts? Just trying to gauge what all you don’t like based on geographical location.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 18th, 2020, 11:50 am I hate Big 10 for several reasons:

Over rated most seasons

The Rose Bowl has been played on New Year's Day since 1902, long before the playoff system existed. That's called a tradition.

If someone or something is "overrated", is that their fault? Are they supposed to argue with the people who "overrate" them?

As far as not being Southern is concerned, all I can say is, sorry, but we had this thing called the Civil War, and the Union won, so we are all in the same country. Deal with it.
thepostman, Ill flame liked this
By Geraldos Mustache

Over rated most seasons

Being new to the ASOR Board, I have wondered why "Ballcoach15" has received so much negativity by other posters.
Now I understand why...
Purple Haize, Liberty22, PAmedic and 1 others liked this
By Class of 20Something
I think the the AAC is not far off. I could see an announcement to either a full membership or an football only/ND style deal to fill the bottom of our strength of schedule. We are currently neutered in October and November to who we can schedule because everyone is on conference play. Having even a 6 game tie in in that time period raises our SOS by a lot.

Softball RPI
Liberty 55
AAC has 4 schools above and 4 below us.

Baseball RPI
Liberty 40
AAC has 2 schools above and 7 below

Football FPI
Liberty 97
AAC has 10 above us and 2 below including UConn leaving.

MBasketball NET
Liberty 24
AAC has 1 above us and 11 below.

WBasketball RPI
Liberty 103
AAC has 4 above us and 8 below us.

Basketball is our best asset while Football is our worst of the major sports.

We are a better asset to them as an all sports member than football only.
TH Spangler, thepostman, jinxy and 3 others liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
@Class of 20Something, great data. I love the idea of joining the AAC but in the past I thought our basketball would hold us back. That is clearly not the case anymore. The AAC prefers larger markets so that'll be something to think about. But for me, the AAC would be the best case scenario.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Sounds as if Boise wants to be like Notre Dame. Receive special treatment, not given to other schools.
Does Boise play any sport other than football ?

Boise's geographical location limits their options in my opinion.
They should stay in Mountain West.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
“ The Broncos have a 165-34 over the last 15 years, third-best in the FBS behind only Ohio State (171-28) and Alabama (173-32).”

I would have never guessed this!
By R i
Registration Days Posts
AAC would be the ideal destination for LU, but would we take CUSA and SunBelt Invites at this point ? I change my opinion daily.
Purple Haize liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Seems a bit canny that the ASUN is doing this. I'm not going to overthink this but this is not a coincidence that they're proposing this. Looks like a little threat to us lol
By cruzan_flame13
R i wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 8:21 pm Lets overthink it. How is this a threat to us?
I just feel like this a push for us to be all in for the ASUN. Not saying this is bad (since we have no other conference calling us) but it kinda rubbed me the wrong way when I read the article. Again, could be overthinking this lol.
By Ill flame
I would also be interested in joining the A10 or big east too if they came calling. As much as I enjoy us dominating the asun at several sports. I think it'll be time to move on by 2023 when this will supposably happen.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
They are basically kicking us, UNA and Bellarmine out. At least they are being nice about it and forming a new conference where we can still compete for tournament births. :roll:

Who joins? High Point? Campbell, Gardner-Webb? I think it's obvious a few BSouth schools are going to be moving.
Last edited by ballah09 on January 22nd, 2020, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I hate to go back to our "we are too good for this league" attitude like we had in the Big South. But we are too good for this league.

Baseball, Basketball, and a few others.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Ill flame
At this point I would prefer the Missouri valley over the asun even though we belong in that conference about as much as UCF belongs in the MAC. At least they have a good basketball culture and aren't terrible at some of the other sports
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Cf ... obilebasic

Here’s a google doc with more information regarding this ASUN announcement someone posted on csnbbs. Found this interesting.

Do you anticipate other conferences will follow the ASUN lead in developing new conferences?

I don’t, for a number of reasons. One, we are the only Division I conference in our footprint that does not sponsor football. That means we are the only one that can start football. The ability to build a new football conference primarily in the southeast is a dominant factor. A second key factor is that the ASUN is well versed in conference realignment and we recognize the need to be innovative, to be bold, and to meet the real market demands of the institutions and their students. Thankfully, we are blessed with a visionary set of Presidents that are willing to have an eye focused on the future. I also think there is a strong possibility that the steps we are executing may trigger some change in the future. The NCAA is studying its championship financial model, the role of Automatic Qualification in championship field size and selection, and it would be a natural reaction after our announcement for some form of moratorium to be put in place.

EDIT* Turns out its FCS football so we will obviously not be part of this moving forward. So looks like we will have a new conference as late as 2023.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm […]

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]