Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LU 57
Just John wrote: January 12th, 2020, 9:08 pm
Cider Jim wrote: January 10th, 2020, 11:25 am Like Lestor Roloff (for you old timers), Coach Freeze broke out in SONG about midway through his presentation, singing part of "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands."
Lester Roloff would definitely think that song was too "worldly", too "liberal", and a "compromise". :roll: :)

I don't agree with everything LU does now but I'm glad Sr. took it away from that nonsense.
Doug Oldham (from the Old-Time Gospel Hour) used to do songs that started as stories back in the day too. Had a teammate that did a hilarious impression🤣.

Was he still active at LU and TRBC into the 2000s?
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 10th, 2020, 11:25 am Like Lestor Roloff (for you old timers), Coach Freeze broke out in SONG about midway through his presentation, singing part of "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands."
Lester Roloff would definitely think that song was too "worldly", too "liberal", and a "compromise". :roll: :)

I don't agree with everything LU does now but I'm glad Sr. took it away from that nonsense.
He’d have prescribed a beating for listening to that sort of devil’s music.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: January 12th, 2020, 10:00 pm

Doug Oldham (from the Old-Time Gospel Hour) used to do songs that started as stories back in the day too. Had a teammate that did a hilarious impression🤣.

Was he still active at LU and TRBC into the 2000s?
Doug spent the last several years of his life at TRBC and died in 2010. While my favorite Christian music tends to be a bit more contemporary, I loved Doug. He was a BIG deal in gospel music back in the day and even instrumental in Liberty's growth. He and Sr would travel the country together, preaching and singing, and also advertising and raising money for the fledgling Lynchburg Baptist College. Jerry said he knew where the churches were and Doug knew where the good restaurants were. Oldham also was instrumental in making much of Bill Gaither's early music popular when few had heard of him.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote: January 12th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Definitely a nut job. After he died in a small plane crash, Jack Hyles moved the wreck up to Hyles Anderson "College" as a memorial. Hard to make this stuff up.
adam42381, Cider Jim liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
meant to post this earlier but freeze was on with greg roberts i believe the monday night of the championship. It was one of if not his best interview yet in terms of sounding like he was “owning” the job. He also got the question he gets every time now and answered it the best ive heard yet as well. Essentially it gave some credence to seeing his family through this phase of life and the program to a certain level before he would entertain anything else. Praised the school and potential as he has before. Really seemed genuinely pumped about the cure bowl win.

They also replayed the interview friday night which is when i heard it. I really like freeze. I cant imagine we could get anybody better right now. He is moving this thing forward in a hurry.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:57 am meant to post this earlier but freeze was on with greg roberts i believe the monday night of the championship. It was one of if not his best interview yet in terms of sounding like he was “owning” the job. He also got the question he gets every time now and answered it the best ive heard yet as well. Essentially it gave some credence to seeing his family through this phase of life and the program to a certain level before he would entertain anything else. Praised the school and potential as he has before. Really seemed genuinely pumped about the cure bowl win.

They also replayed the interview friday night which is when i heard it. I really like freeze. I cant imagine we could get anybody better right now. He is moving this thing forward in a hurry.
Dude was a home run hire, no doubt about it.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: January 12th, 2020, 11:50 pm
adam42381 wrote: January 12th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Definitely a nut job. After he died in a small plane crash, Jack Hyles moved the wreck up to Hyles Anderson "College" as a memorial. Hard to make this stuff up.
John speaks truth. I’ve been to HAC and seen it with my own eyes.
Just John liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 19th, 2020, 10:38 am
jinxy wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:57 am meant to post this earlier but freeze was on with greg roberts i believe the monday night of the championship. It was one of if not his best interview yet in terms of sounding like he was “owning” the job. He also got the question he gets every time now and answered it the best ive heard yet as well. Essentially it gave some credence to seeing his family through this phase of life and the program to a certain level before he would entertain anything else. Praised the school and potential as he has before. Really seemed genuinely pumped about the cure bowl win.

Dude was a home run hire, no doubt about it.
Especially since he was a very controversial hire, by a very controversial AD, we only vetted for 4 days before we hired him. 8) :roll: :shock:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 19th, 2020, 3:03 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 19th, 2020, 10:49 am One of the 3 best coaches in college football. The other 2 are at Clemson and Alabama.
Next time you have a thought......just let it go
Why ? If there's any out there better, I'd love to hear who they are.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 19th, 2020, 8:13 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 19th, 2020, 10:49 am One of the 3 best coaches in college football. The other 2 are at Clemson and Alabama.
So someone who actually studies this stuff made a list. And gave reasoning for each ranking. See, that’s called research. It’s called having an informed opinion. Then, to engage in a meaningful discussion one can provide the link so others may view and share where and why they agree or disagree with what the author wrote. You can do this ballcoach. On your own. With out your study partners helping you. The road to credibility awaits you. The map to your quest is laid out before you. All you have to do is seize the initiative (I know that’s more of a Marine thing but desperate times call for desperate measures)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlonspor ... 2019%3famp
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote: January 19th, 2020, 10:21 pm Hugh Freeze at 55. That seems pretty fair to me. I can't imagine making a list like this. Way too much work for me haha.

I'm sure ballcoach went to the same efforts for his rankings. He is just working on securing the funding for his website 😉
thepostman liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Interesting list. Coach o way too low in hindsight and willie taggert way too high which isnt really hindsight. Fuente way too high.

Top 10 was pretty solid. I value the david cutcliffes and jeff monkens who win at tough places a lot at solid clips.

Freeze is a top 25 coach to me. Hes still being penalized for the end of ole miss and thats probably fair this early.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Whoever complied that poll did a lot of good research, however it was done before 2019 season. If it were tweaked after the season, I think he would have Freeze much higher. Many of those ranked above Freeze are laughable.
Tnobes liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 19th, 2020, 11:14 pm Whoever complied that poll did a lot of good research, however it was done before 2019 season. If it were tweaked after the season, I think he would have Freeze much higher. Many of those ranked above Freeze are laughable.
Ok good. Here’s your chance. You can do this. We are rooting for you. Focus and stay on target.
Which coaches are you referring to? What specific actions or inactions have those coaches done that lead you to this conclusion?
Now, I know that’s a lot of new energy you’d expend right there. But if you have a little extra in the tank, you might want to give real world examples of how Freeze would do better in those situations. If you can’t, that’s fine. Let’s just focus on the basics.
Liberty22 liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
After looking at the list I would say that HCHF is better than 25 of the coaches listed. I will go on record saying we do have 1 of the top 30 coaches in all of College Football. 1 losing season in the 7 FBS seasons he has had and he has averaged 8 wins per season and is 4-2 in bowl games. Pretty good resume' that includes 2 wins against Nick Saban and only 2 other coaches have that title a certain 2 time national champion Dabo Swinney and the Gus Bus at Auburn. To me the only thing that holds him back in my top 15 is the 2 year absence from coaching due to his sin.
Tnobes liked this
By Class of 20Something
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: January 20th, 2020, 12:04 am After looking at the list I would say that HCHF is better than 25 of the coaches listed. I will go on record saying we do have 1 of the top 30 coaches in all of College Football. 1 losing season in the 7 FBS seasons he has had and he has averaged 8 wins per season and is 4-2 in bowl games. Pretty good resume' that includes 2 wins against Nick Saban and only 2 other coaches have that title a certain 2 time national champion Dabo Swinney and the Gus Bus at Auburn. To me the only thing that holds him back in my top 15 is the 2 year absence from coaching due to his sin.
You forgot Miles came back. :wink:
By Tnobes
Purple Haize wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:49 pm

So someone who actually studies this stuff made a list. And gave reasoning for each ranking. See, that’s called research. It’s called having an informed opinion. Then, to engage in a meaningful discussion one can provide the link so others may view and share where and why they agree or disagree with what the author wrote. You can do this ballcoach. On your own. With out your study partners helping you. The road to credibility awaits you. The map to your quest is laid out before you. All you have to do is seize the initiative (I know that’s more of a Marine thing but desperate times call for desperate measures)

You think that a sports writer's opinion is more valid? Not sure there is much help for you, also you kinda act like a horse's rear end
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
One thing a lot of people don't realize is, the people on message boards are often as smart as sports media people. Only difference is, the media gets paid for spewing out their opinion, whereas the average person does not.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 20th, 2020, 6:13 pm One thing a lot of people don't realize is, the people on message boards are often as smart as sports media people. Only difference is, the media gets paid for spewing out their opinion, whereas the average person does not.
So you don’t have any data to back up your opinion. Color me surprised.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 20th, 2020, 5:31 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:49 pm

You think that a sports writer's opinion is more valid? Not sure there is much help for you, also you kinda act like a horse's rear end
Yeah, I’ll take a researched opinion, whether I agree with it or not, as a much better starting point for a discussion than whatever comes off the top of most people’s head.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]