If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
The seasons not over yet but I decided to look at how our attendance has grown over the last few years.
Average (# of games)
2017-18 2,044 (21)
2018-19 2,985 (18)
2019-20 4,092 (9*)

At the rate we're going we should be averaging close to a sellout in the new arena.
thepostman liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Will we have overflow seating in the Vines Center next year? We had 6,000 in attendance tonight, which means we would have TURNED AWAY 2,000 fans in the new Liberty Arena. :shock:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Why do people keep talking about turning away fans in a negative light? I see quite a bit of negativity about the seating capacity of the new arena from people on social media and I just don't get it. Having a smaller, more intimate arena is going to be great for this program and we will still have the option of using the Vines Center. It seems like such a no brainier to go this route to me and people are still upset about it. I'd rather have an arena for of 4,000 passionate fans than 8,000 in the Vines with half of them acting like they don't even want to be there.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 18th, 2020, 10:58 pm Will we have overflow seating in the Vines Center next year? We had 6,000 in attendance tonight, which means we would have TURNED AWAY 2,000 fans in the new Liberty Arena. :shock:
You would have been one of the 2000 turned away.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 18th, 2020, 11:47 pm Why do people keep talking about turning away fans in a negative light? I see quite a bit of negativity about the seating capacity of the new arena from people on social media and I just don't get it. Having a smaller, more intimate arena is going to be great for this program and we will still have the option of using the Vines Center. It seems like such a no brainier to go this route to me and people are still upset about it. I'd rather have an arena for of 4,000 passionate fans than 8,000 in the Vines with half of them acting like they don't even want to be there.
Consider the source.
Purple Haize liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
They are going for the cameron indoor atmosphere and ticket approach at our level. Im ok with it in theory. Duke could of course get way more 4500 or whatever it is cameron holds.

Personally i dont think the 4k is off much but its obvious thats the number they came up with that will sell out all but the christmas break non d1 types. As long as were winning of course.
Purple Haize liked this
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:42 am They are going for the cameron indoor atmosphere and ticket approach at our level. Im ok with it in theory. Duke could of course get way more 4500 or whatever it is cameron holds.

Personally i dont think the 4k is off much but its obvious thats the number they came up with that will sell out all but the christmas break non d1 types. As long as were winning of course.
Cameron Indoor Stadium has a capacity of 9,314. For comparison, Vines Center is basically the same size with a basketball capacity of 9,457.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 18th, 2020, 10:58 pm Will we have overflow seating in the Vines Center next year? We had 6,000 in attendance tonight, which means we would have TURNED AWAY 2,000 fans in the new Liberty Arena. :shock:
I suspect overflow seating in the Vines will be provided for games next year when they expect it would be utilized. Do NOT expect any games to be moved there in the foreseeable future, regardless of demand.

I'm a bit disappointed at how much outraged there seems to be at the idea of "turning away" people to games, but I'm not surprised. It's something that hasn't happened at Liberty for at least 30 years, so it's going to take some getting used to. The places that have this "problem" have some of the best home game environments in the NCAA and with it some of the best home records.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Thx. Sorry had the numbers wrong but the point right ha. I meant to type 8500 but hit the wrong number. A little closer ha.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: January 19th, 2020, 10:21 am
I suspect overflow seating in the Vines will be provided for games next year when they expect it would be utilized. Do NOT expect any games to be moved there in the foreseeable future, regardless of demand.

I'm a bit disappointed at how much outraged there seems to be at the idea of "turning away" people to games, but I'm not surprised. It's something that hasn't happened at Liberty for at least 30 years, so it's going to take some getting used to. The places that have this "problem" have some of the best home game environments in the NCAA and with it some of the best home records.
I’m not seeing much outrage. Scarcity of tickets plus increase in demand will help drive LU where it wants to be. Anyone who is dismayed by turning people away are still in the mindset that tickets should be give away. Which increases the perception that LU isn’t a “real” school. I mean you get what you pay for, right?
But what do I know.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
There are plenty of people on Twitter questioning it anytime something is posted about. But yeah, the culture at liberty has always been to not turn people away and if you know the right people you get in for free. When those things are no longer the norm it ruffles some feathers.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
With the mention of free tickets and freeloaders, is there a suggestion that there fans yesterday were mostly free? The beauty of a smaller venue is that I don't feel bad about sitting home watching. They should put student Tix out in a lottery and then jack up the price of the balance. Those who love this new smaller venue will be glad to pay more for their ticket.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
We are one bad season away from a dead atmosphere. It's great we are building momentum and having 6,000+ but will they be there when we go into rebuilding mode next year?

I like the smaller arena. It gives us a real, loud atmosphere.
thepostman liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
You were correct on the semantics Purple. "Dismayed" is more accurate than "outraged". Definately not at Greta Thunberg level.

Now THAT is what you call OUTRAGE.
Purple Haize liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 19th, 2020, 10:35 am
I’m not seeing much outrage.
If you ever make it to a game in person, you should sit wth that Old Men's Club. That's all we ever talk about. :oldhag :blahblah :oldhag
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: January 19th, 2020, 12:57 pm We are one bad season away from a dead atmosphere. It's great we are building momentum and having 6,000+ but will they be there when we go into rebuilding mode next year?

I don't think we will be in a rebuilding mode next season.
By Ill flame
Just keep in mind when it comes to attendance that the season after a good/bad year is when you'll notice a difference. Our great attendance this year is a product of our great season last year. If next year is a "down year" attendance shouldn't go down too much until the year after.
I think a down year in this conference is <25 wins
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It will be interesting with season tickets for new arena. Does anyone know how many season tickets we sold for this season ?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 19th, 2020, 11:26 pm
ballah09 wrote: January 19th, 2020, 12:57 pm We are one bad season away from a dead atmosphere. It's great we are building momentum and having 6,000+ but will they be there when we go into rebuilding mode next year?

I don't think we will be in a rebuilding mode next season.
Of course you don't :roll:

He didn't say we would have a bad year. Personally, I think we can win the ASUN with the roster we will have, but when you lose 4 of your top 6 players to graduation, you are rebuilding, no matter how good your Freshman class is. A lot of very inexperienced players are going to have to make major contributions next year. With Caleb healthy, even Rode and Robinson are now playing a reduced role, leaving only Cuffee and McGhee as returners who have been playing 20 plus minutes a game.
Purple Haize liked this
By Dalegarz1
Attendance is more than just number of people there. I was there for the Lipscomb game (section 116). To be honest, I was a little disappointed in the atmosphere. I would love to see a designated area for students that is close to the court (ala Cameron Indoor, MSU and others). For 6-7k in the Vines Center, it was never what I would call loud.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]