Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
A good friend mentioned Chase Brice to me. He's the backup QB at Clemson and was a top 15 QB coming out of high school. Even Dabo says he's an NFL talent.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 18th, 2020, 10:41 am A good friend mentioned Chase Brice to me. He's the backup QB at Clemson and was a top 15 QB coming out of high school. Even Dabo says he's an NFL talent.
He’s ranked slightly below Malik according to 247. Talk about a stacked qb room. What’s crazy about these rankings is they don’t mean squat. You look at joe burrow at LSU, was a low 2 star, barely had offers, won the heisman, natty, and will be the #1 draft pick come April. Crazy.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 18th, 2020, 10:41 am A good friend mentioned Chase Brice to me. He's the backup QB at Clemson and was a top 15 QB coming out of high school. Even Dabo says he's an NFL talent.

I started reading the transfer portal last night. Fell asleep before I finished the Quarterbacks list. I still maintain NCAA should limit transfers to hardship cases. Getting benched isn't a hardship.

Transfers are worst in softball than football, and most softball players who transfer are not sitting on bench.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Scholarships are basically 1 year agreements. Both the school and athlete are free to do as they wish from year to year. I couldn't disagree with you more @ballcoach15
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
That is true, however, when coaches recruit high school kids, I think they recruit with a 4 year commitment in mind. After all, college is normally a 4 year journey.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 18th, 2020, 2:22 pm

I started reading the transfer portal last night. Fell asleep before I finished the Quarterbacks list. I still maintain NCAA should limit transfers to hardship cases. Getting benched isn't a hardship.

Transfers are worst in softball than football, and most softball players who transfer are not sitting on bench.
So you must not be a big fan of the presumptive LU starting QB next year
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I think QB is the last thing we would look at in the transfer portal. Just my opinion of course. It will be interesting to see if we go after any one else. I could see us going after another OL or LB prospect in the portal. Honestly maybe even running back.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: January 18th, 2020, 5:17 pm I think QB is the last thing we would look at in the transfer portal. Just my opinion of course. It will be interesting to see if we go after any one else. I could see us going after another OL or LB prospect in the portal. Honestly maybe even running back.
I’m with ya, our qb room is full. There’s some big time players available in other positions..
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
If ballcoach had his way LU would take 0 transfers. They are ruining the game
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
You are getting it wrong @Purple Haize, it is only terrible when it doesn't help LU.

I still haven't heard ballcoach's take on our likely starting QB who just so happened to transfer in. I guess we should boot him out. He is ruining the sport!
Purple Haize liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Freeze confirmed 3 spots left. We are targeting hard keshaun moore juco lb and it sounds like if mike james gets his academics in order were still in on him. That leaves 1 left. I could see him holding it and continuing to work the portal on that last spot. Still a big brian merritt fan but that doesnt appear to be going anywhere.

I would feel a lot better at lb with butler and moore both in tow as well as fuester walking on. Cozad jenkins green pierre caper. For whatever reason lb has been a hard spot for us to recruit to the same level as the other positions it seems.
sstaedtler liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
If we go transfer portal you have to think we grab someone who can play immediately right? I don't know if Micahel Harris from Auburn fits that bill, but maybe Malik Willis could recruit him for us. He would have 3 years left and he played in 11 games this year. My gut tells me he would have to sit one.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
HF interviewed with York at halftime of the basketball game. He confirmed that we have 3 scholarships and are looking for either 2 LBs or 1 LB and a DB, and "maybe" an OT. Staff is out recruiting Juniors. Won't focus on filling those 3 spots til the last few days before signing. He also said it was an option to hold on to them and pursue transfers.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 18th, 2020, 11:49 pm You are getting it wrong @Purple Haize, it is only terrible when it doesn't help LU.

I still haven't heard ballcoach's take on our likely starting QB who just so happened to transfer in. I guess we should boot him out. He is ruining the sport!
He also does not appear to have any issue with our starting TE (Colorado transfer), who caught a TD catch in the Cure Bowl or next year's likely starting OT, who just transferred in from Ole Miss. What he also fails to see is that sometimes a player transferring out benefits us too (as well as the player and the school they go to). Having someone taking up a scholarship who is not going to play benefits no one (unless nobody else wants him, in which case it's GREAT for him and his parents to get a free education).
thepostman liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Cass is the other juco db. Forgot about him. Wasnt sure we could use all those juco dbs but if we get cass as well holy cow. That secondary is gonna be legitimately 2 maybe even 3 deep.

Also hes trying to split the classes up a little better i believe. At year end i could only count 17 or 18 players that entered the program on scholarship that were seniors. I know freeze gave several of the walk on guys schollies but that wont be as prevalent moving forward.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 18th, 2020, 4:02 pm That is true, however, when coaches recruit high school kids, I think they recruit with a 4 year commitment in mind. After all, college is normally a 4 year journey.
Coaches WISH it was a four-year commitment. Thankfully, NCAA bylaws permit reconsideration each year. What if the kid you recruited for four years isn’t what you thought he/she could or should be? What if they decide to half-butt it in the classroom or the weight room? Should a Coach be just as bound to an s-a as you believe the s-a should be to the institution?

If bench is the hardship, the price is a year sitting out. What more could you reasonably ask?

Your ideas on this are completely off-base. And I’m being kind.
thepostman liked this
By chris leedlelee
oldflame wrote: January 19th, 2020, 7:09 am What he also fails to see is that sometimes a player transferring out benefits us too (as well as the player and the school they go to). Having someone taking up a scholarship who is not going to play benefits no one (unless nobody else wants him, in which case it's GREAT for him and his parents to get a free education).
I believe that the NCAA should encourage graduate transfers by continuing to give immediate eligibility, but end the silly waiver process for regular transfers and force them to wait out a year. Last year, the bias was pretty egregious when Tate Martell and Justin Fields both got granted immediate eligibility, while other recruits in similar scenarios did not get their waiver approved (Malik Willis). A strict enforcement of sitting out for one year would cause fewer transfers while encouraging the kids to fulfill their obligations to the school by completing a degree.
By Rock1
Liberty22 wrote: January 18th, 2020, 11:44 am
He’s ranked slightly below Malik according to 247. Talk about a stacked qb room. What’s crazy about these rankings is they don’t mean squat. You look at joe burrow at LSU, was a low 2 star, barely had offers, won the heisman, natty, and will be the #1 draft pick come April. Crazy.

Just to clarify, Burrow was a 4 start prospect coming out of HS.

https://247sports.com/Player/Joe-Burrow ... ool-60304/
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 19th, 2020, 3:45 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 18th, 2020, 4:02 pm That is true, however, when coaches recruit high school kids, I think they recruit with a 4 year commitment in mind. After all, college is normally a 4 year journey.
Coaches WISH it was a four-year commitment. Thankfully, NCAA bylaws permit reconsideration each year. What if the kid you recruited for four years isn’t what you thought he/she could or should be? What if they decide to half-butt it in the classroom or the weight room? Should a Coach be just as bound to an s-a as you believe the s-a should be to the institution?

If bench is the hardship, the price is a year sitting out. What more could you reasonably ask?

Your ideas on this are completely off-base. And I’m being kind.
Does this kid fit the system ?
Does this kid fill a need?
Is this kid better than I currently have at that position?
Will this kid be as good or better than who I’m losing?
How soon can this kid contribute?

Those are questions coaches ask when recruiting a player. The only people they look 4 years down the line on would be project players.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Rock1 wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:32 pm
Liberty22 wrote: January 18th, 2020, 11:44 am

Just to clarify, Burrow was a 4 start prospect coming out of HS.

https://247sports.com/Player/Joe-Burrow ... ool-60304/
Lol well now I need to find the broadcast of the game I was watching. The announcers said he was two star with barely any offers. I just assumed that was the case based on the tv announcers :oops:
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]