This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 1st, 2019, 3:04 pm Has tobacco use been taken off the prohibited list on the Liberty Way?
Probably not, but there is a long-standing tradition of people who would never smoke otherwise making an exception for celebratory cigars.
By Jonathan Carone
I don’t think smoking cigars is sinful. Let’s start there.

In Virginia, you have to be 21 to possess or use tobacco. So technically our underclassmen are smoking just as illegally as if they were to celebrate with a beer. So I have an issue with that.

I also have an issue with the team promoting themselves breaking the Liberty Way. If that’s changed and normal students can smoke cigars then ok. Still not the image I prefer Liberty projecting but as long as its legal and anyone of legal age can do it, I’m good with it.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 1st, 2019, 4:12 pm I don’t think smoking cigars is sinful. Let’s start there.

In Virginia, you have to be 21 to possess or use tobacco. So technically our underclassmen are smoking just as illegally as if they were to celebrate with a beer. So I have an issue with that.

I also have an issue with the team promoting themselves breaking the Liberty Way. If that’s changed and normal students can smoke cigars then ok. Still not the image I prefer Liberty projecting but as long as its legal and anyone of legal age can do it, I’m good with it.
This is pretty much where I'm at. I think the law is silly, and it's plausible the coaches weren't aware of the change in age. In a perfect world, I actually love the idea of finding a legal, but distinctly special celebration for the coaches to have with the players. I think being able to encourage and contain some celebration could prevent 2007-like incidents.

Celebratory cigars are a special thing, I do hope they can find something unique for celebrations.

On the other hand.

How stupid can the staff and leadership be? What the crap y'all? Coaches all providing and contributing and posting it.
By Jonathan Carone
It wasn’t just coaches. Jerry, Becki, and Ian were in there too. That’s what I don’t get.

I don’t want to be the fun police, but I also know an unbelieving world is watching and judging everything we do. For the sake of our mission, we can’t be giving them even more ammunition to call us hypocrites.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You have to be 21 to use tobacco? Huh. I did not know that. As for the rest, who cares.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 1st, 2019, 5:22 pm It wasn’t just coaches. Jerry, Becki, and Ian were in there too. That’s what I don’t get.

I don’t want to be the fun police, but I also know an unbelieving world is watching and judging everything we do. For the sake of our mission, we can’t be giving them even more ammunition to call us hypocrites.
It is pretty common to run into LU elites at Pap's Cigars downtown. After all, one of the owners was a key developer of LU Online. Why is anyone surprised at any of the antics that get publicized, anyway?
By Jonathan Carone
So is it just another example of something where the rules are ignored when it’s beneficial but the rule is on the book to keep up appearances?

If it’s not a rule, this is a nonstarter. But I don’t have access to the current Liberty Way to know if it is.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 1st, 2019, 5:56 pm So is it just another example of something where the rules are ignored when it’s beneficial but the rule is on the book to keep up appearances?

If it’s not a rule, this is a nonstarter. But I don’t have access to the current Liberty Way to know if it is.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: December 1st, 2019, 6:03 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 1st, 2019, 5:56 pm So is it just another example of something where the rules are ignored when it’s beneficial but the rule is on the book to keep up appearances?

"Distribution of alcoholic beverages." It was no secret at LU that I worked as a bartender after I turned 21 and sold beer at City Stadium...
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
There has always been low key resentment with how there is a double standard when it comes to athletes and the liberty way. This certainly won't help that.

I was pretty shocked it was happening in the locker room. Seems odd but I'm not losing sleep over it or anything.
By chris leedlelee
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 1st, 2019, 5:22 pm It wasn’t just coaches. Jerry, Becki, and Ian were in there too. That’s what I don’t get.

Can they make an amendment for allowing celebratory cigar use?? Tobacco use is relatively common amongst the students at LU. I even felt comfortable enough to post a picture with a cigar while at LU and didn't really think twice about getting in trouble for it. I'd personally put tobacco in a completely separate category than alochol. Considering what other students do in violation of the Liberty Way at LU, I'd say that occasional celebratory cigar use shouldn't be an issue.
By Jonathan Carone
If other students aren’t getting in trouble for it then it’s not as much of an issue. I just want to make sure we’ve got a level playing field for all students when it comes to the rules.

At this point, the Liberty Way probably needs a giant overhaul to clarify what is and isn’t acceptable. There have been lots of changes recently - most of which are great and were needed - that haven’t been formalized.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 1st, 2019, 9:58 pm There has always been low key resentment with how there is a double standard when it comes to athletes and the liberty way. This certainly won't help that.

I was pretty shocked it was happening in the locker room. Seems odd but I'm not losing sleep over it or anything.
As a former athlete at LU, albeit a long time ago, I have always heard this :BS . (Heard the same crapola in HS). Bottom line, 99% of it is jealously. Mostly by students who are obese, snowflake, athletic wannabees, who couldn't hit a slow-pitch softball, or a baseball off a tee, if given a week to do so. Or the guys who throw a baseball like obama or who couldn't run a lap around a Cherrio. .
Does it occur sometimes? Sure. Does it also happen to other high-profile, rich, connected, students who are non-athletes? Absolutely.
It is that way everywhere, just not in athletics. It permeates our society at ever corner. Doesn't make it right, but it is reality.
If one gets upset over a cigar, maybe they should find something to take up some more of their time. Obviously, some have too much time on their hands. I wish they hadn't pulled out the cigars, but really this is extremely minor. Akin to chewing gum in school.
:roll: 8) 8)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
So what exactly were they celebrating? Being “Bowl Eligible”? Really? What happens if they don’t end up going to a Bowl? It’s a snapshot of the underlying issues with LU athletics. Football had a nice season and shows promise. They didn’t really beat anyone of consequence and got routed a couple of times. BUT since they won X amount of games that MAY get them to a bottom tier Bowl game lets beat our chests and celebrate? Now if they go to a Bowl and win, party on Wayne. But celebrating this? Bush league
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Thank you.

Next question, what are the chances some overly zealous RA tries to give them all reps?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 10:38 am Thank you.

Next question, what are the chances some overly zealous RA tries to give them all reps?
They will try but it will quietly go away. Can’t have suspended football players for the Bowl game they may or may not get invited to
By Jonathan Carone
The anarchist in me wants to see a bunch of dudes sit on the Lawn smoking cigars claiming they're celebrating the end of the semester.
By cruzan_flame13
Or students can just do that without posting every second of their day on social media. Don't see what the big deal with this. Obviously athletes get a little leeway since sports is a big deal in college/U.S. period. Of course people exaggerate the privileges of athletes since it will be different at each institution. It's not so difficult for students to do the things that athletes do at LU. Nonetheless, people need to jet those like to feel good about themselves I suppose. There's no point in this because nothing will ever be perfected in those rules, especially when people redefine key words and phrases all the time.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I wonder who came up with the idea for cigars ? I was shocked when I seen 2 players lighting up.

But in reality, what happens in the locker room, sometimes should "stay in the locker room".
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
After all, locker room talk/actions makes everything ok 😉

But honestly I don't care much about this. It is an interesting dynamic that is for sure.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
After further review, I think the cigar idea came from the term "light'em up" when LU scores a touchdown.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]