Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
I am a little perplexed as to why we are paying them 800k for the home game when we have home and homes scheduled with them. Last year was understandable because of the short window of time we had. This is for 2023. Are we having that difficult a time finding home games?
By BlueBlood
LUGrad2000 wrote: September 11th, 2019, 10:38 am I am a little perplexed as to why we are paying them 800k for the home game when we have home and homes scheduled with them. Last year was understandable because of the short window of time we had. This is for 2023. Are we having that difficult a time finding home games?
It looks like the ACC schools we have scheduled want 2 for 1s, so I'm guessing that LU needs to buy a few EXTRA home games.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I know that this would be crazy but for more national recognition it would help. 2023 we need 1 more away game and 2024 we need 2. Nick Saban last week that they will play whoever and whenever. Why not go play them. Plus with his friendship to Hugh Freeze it might be able to happen.
By tyndal23
We shouldn’t even be doing 1 for 1’s with MAC schools, pay them to come here as a 1 off, save the away for P5 only and select few Independents we need to partner with to fill out our schedule. By 2026/27 - be P5 equivalent in scheduling - only way we recruit well enough to win P5 games consistently ( not the “ hope we win 1 of the 4 mentality we have now” )
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I can change the narrative.

"Ole Miss makes sense – UConn is just an easier home win for them. Liberty and Virginia moving their single game so they could each get a game against the Huskies falls into the same boat; gaining an easy opponent without adding much in the way of travel."

That says U Conn is an easy opponent for us.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 1:47 pm I can change the narrative.

"Ole Miss makes sense – UConn is just an easier home win for them. Liberty and Virginia moving their single game so they could each get a game against the Huskies falls into the same boat; gaining an easy opponent without adding much in the way of travel."

That says U Conn is an easy opponent for us.
Yea maybe I misread it :lol:
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I know it'd be nice to have more P5 games, but if played 4 P5 games it'd be difficult filling the schedule with enough home games. It's possible, but most P5 teams won't agree to a home and home with us. Just a thought.
By chris leedlelee
I would hope that we could keep 3-4 P5s on the schedule in the future. It will help differentiate us from other Go5 programs in recruiting, especially those from the lower-tier conferences such as the Sun Belt and C-USA. I personally would hope for a BYU-type schedule in the future, which is why I also appreciate playing them so much. Having yearly "rivalries" with schools compatible with LU's vision and scheduling philosophy will go a long way in improving the LU football brand on the college football landscape.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
If we were able to have either UVA or VA Tech, plush a P5 in our region from either the ACC, Big Ten or SEC, plus BYU(every year) then add in 1 FCS and 8 Group of 5 schools then you have a really well put together schedule. Personally, I would love to see us play at Lane Stadium on a Thursday night to open the season! That would be killer.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler wrote: November 18th, 2019, 11:46 pm
I think 2 Power 5 games a year is too little. I want 3 or 4, with a few independents like BYU and Army thrown in.
Yeah, because you know better than Hugh Freeze. :lol:
By Jonathan Carone
alabama24 wrote: November 19th, 2019, 9:20 pm
I think 2 Power 5 games a year is too little. I want 3 or 4, with a few independents like BYU and Army thrown in.
Turner Gill wanted to play three D2s in one year.

Coaches just want wins.
By tyndal23
I have said this repeatedly 2 or less or 7 or more. 2 games where u are 17 point underdogs a year is plenty and give u 10 games to either go bowling or get to 10 wins. It takes a committed P5 schedule to get P5 roster - 4 is the worst of both worlds.
By LUOrange
In my dream world, we'd have Tech, UVA, ODU, and BYU on the schedule every year. The rest of the schedule would include 3 more P-5 and 5 more G5 schools. Ideally, they'd all be regional opponents and half of those P5's would be home games.
I know that right now, that this isn't possible as we'll have problems getting P5's to come to us and do 1 for 1's.

However, IMO, the 2022 schedule is the ideal template The only change I'd make, is to eliminate the FCS games until we've better established our FBS brand. However, if we're going to keep FCS games, I'd say to limit to 1 a year and only VA, NC & fellow Christian school FCS teams (which I think we've mostly done).
By chris leedlelee
LUOrange wrote: November 19th, 2019, 11:11 pm In my dream world, we'd have Tech, UVA, ODU, and BYU on the schedule every year. The rest of the schedule would include 3 more P-5 and 5 more G5 schools. Ideally, they'd all be regional opponents and half of those P5's would be home games.
I know that right now, that this isn't possible as we'll have problems getting P5's to come to us and do 1 for 1's.

However, IMO, the 2022 schedule is the ideal template The only change I'd make, is to eliminate the FCS games until we've better established our FBS brand. However, if we're going to keep FCS games, I'd say to limit to 1 a year and only VA, NC & fellow Christian school FCS teams (which I think we've mostly done).
Hopefully in 5-10 years, our schedule can look something like this. It will come with time. LU is blessed to have a plethora of close FBS schools to develop scheduling series with.
By sstaedtler
alabama24 wrote: November 19th, 2019, 9:20 pm
Having too few P5 games gives top recruits very few chances to prove themselves to NFL Scouts against top competition. Suppose they are injured those 2 games? The fan base needs enough games to get excited about. UMass, UConn, New Mexico State, don't really cut it so you need some better games to balance those out.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]