This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

TH Spangler wrote: November 18th, 2019, 4:30 pm Chick-Fil-A said on Monday that it has stopped funding two Christian charities.

Focus on the family next?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/18/chick-f ... tests.html
Another one caves to the mob of the Alphabet People. Since when have Salvation Army and FCA been controversial? Dark days are ahead.

Whoever made this business decision was a fool as well. They had nothing to gain and everything to lose by this.
cruzan_flame13 wrote: November 18th, 2019, 6:22 pm It's possible that money is being wasted in these organizations. Shouldn't the church be focused more on supporting our youth, the poor and widow? Not a "fast food franchise" who go along with Christian principles? Just a minor thought.
You lost me :dontgetit Chick-fil-A has been donating to the Salvation Army. Which focuses on the poor, the homeless, the elderly, disaster victims.
sstaedtler liked this
I didn't see anywhere in article that they were changing their food or customer service policies. Did I miss it???

I'm being facetious of course. We live in outrage culture and this is true of both the left and the right. They use stuff like this to make political statements and it is ridiculous.

As long as chic-fil-a continues to make fantastic food and treat people in a way no other fast food restaurant does they'll be fine.
Well, hey, as long as Postie gets his tasty chicken sandwich, well then all is well, right? Nothing to see here, move along. There can't be any broader implications from a decision like this, no way.

Besides, don't worry, Chickfila is actually doubling down on its "anti-lgb agenda", because according to the Salvation Army, "We serve more than 23 million individuals a year, including those in the LGBTQ+ community. In fact, we believe we are the largest provider of poverty relief to the LGBTQ+ population." Hah, joke's on you, liberal outrage machine!
The outrage culture is something else. It comes from both sides and neither side seems to interested in admitting that they contribute to it.

But yes, as long as the customer service stays great and they serve great food then I am good. They are still giving to charity, they are just simplifying their charitable portfolio. No more, or no less. But sure, lets get angry about it.
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 19th, 2019, 11:46 am I love outrage culture.

What can we get mad at today?!
I'm sorry, Jon, but that's head-in-the-sand stuff right there. Who's outraged? I see a lot of concern and disappointment.
These kinds of mocking dismissiveness just shows a lack of awareness or an unwillingness to think through things and engage in an actual conversation.
The whole "I don't care so everything is fine" is great, too. Thanks for contributing!
That's very great and noble of you both. But if you can't see the harm being done by trends like this, it's almost as if you're trying not to.

I get a little weary of the above scenario. Someone points out, "hey, look what's happening". Then those who are above the fray sweep in with their indifference to tell us nothing is happening, or that it doesn't matter, or make fun of "the culture war", etc. They're defined by inaction, and make it their mission to discourage others from action. The proud middle. Right, bad. Left, bad. They end up saying nothing, other than "let's not have this conversation". And they feel great about themselves because at least they're not living in a bubble.

Eventually your indifference is going to come back to bite you.
I really think this is more a PR move than anything.

The Chick Fil A Foundation had donation agreements in place with these organizations. When those expired, they changed who the Foundation donated to based on the direction the Foundation was heading in the future. They also said, “No organization will be excluded from future consideration — faith based or non-faith based."

Nowhere did they say their franchisees - who are put through rigorous screening and who are largely Christian - couldn't donate or support FCA or the Salvation Army.

They donated $1.65 million to FCA last year and $115,000 to the Salvation Army. That's not a ton of money in the grand scheme of things. That's $747 per location that could easily be made up at the franchise location level if people really wanted to step up.

The outrage around this is based on how the conversation is being framed. For people who like to fight the media and say the media is biased, the people outraged at this are buying into the same bias. If the headline was "Chick-fil-A Foundation Choosing To Focus On Hunger, Homelessness and Education" instead of "Chick-fil-A Stops Giving to 2 Groups Criticized by L.G.B.T.Q. Advocates" then this wouldn't even be a story. But the media knows it can strike against the addiction to rage our country has by making the headlines more racy so they do that because it gets clicks.

And you know what?

It worked.
You guys really have to read past the headlines and political spin to see what is actually happening. If you did that you'd see this isnt worth being concerned about.

I have obviously been a bit facetious in my response to this but it is because I immediately saw right through the political narrative being pushed here.

Chic-Fil-A is in good hands and will continue to do great things in the communities they are in. That should be celebrated.
Where did Chick Fil A attack the Salvation Army?

They fulfilled their commitment to them and then chose to go a different direction.

Had CFA decided to get out of their original commitment because of backlash against who they were donating to - then you'd have a case to be upset about. But they fulfilled everything they committed to and then moved on. How is there anything wrong with that at all?
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 7 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]