Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
BC is a legit FBS QB. He is the definitely in the top 5 of QB's that has ever played at LU. HF is doing the best he can do with what talent he has available to him. We will get better and fairly quick, as long as HF stays. If he leaves before long, we will get someone just as good, it will just cause a couple of year adjustment period.
I would bet money that the spike was called for by the coaching staff. That didn't cost us the game.
Once again, the 3rd downs cost us the game, on both sides of the ball. Overall, we played a good game. The db's looked out of their league, (which they were). Depth will help with that.
Watched Lemonier a lot last night. He is a special talent, but will probably have to play LB in a 3-4, if he makes it to the next level. Unfortunately he is a tweener, but has a great motor, you can't teach that.
DL, lost containment too often last night, but loved our blitzes. Overall they were solid.
AGG's best fit, at the next level, will be as a possession receiver, a la Cooper Kupp IMHO. He is just a step or two slow for a consistent, deep threat wide out.
OL played their best game of the season, good to see that.
That was a lot longer than I intended. Back to The Red Zone.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think that it would be a while different story with Buckshot if HF had 4 years with him. Buckshot has improved as the season has gone on. Which hasn't always been the case.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: November 10th, 2019, 2:54 pm BC is a legit FBS QB. He is the definitely in the top 5 of QB's that has ever played at LU. HF is doing the best he can do with what talent he has available to him. We will get better and fairly quick, as long as HF stays. If he leaves before long, we will get someone just as good, it will just cause a couple of year adjustment period.
I would bet money that the spike was called for by the coaching staff. That didn't cost us the game.
Once again, the 3rd downs cost us the game, on both sides of the ball. Overall, we played a good game. The db's looked out of their league, (which they were). Depth will help with that.
Watched Lemonier a lot last night. He is a special talent, but will probably have to play LB in a 3-4, if he makes it to the next level. Unfortunately he is a tweener, but has a great motor, you can't teach that.
DL, lost containment too often last night, but loved our blitzes. Overall they were solid.
AGG's best fit, at the next level, will be as a possession receiver, a la Cooper Kupp IMHO. He is just a step or two slow for a consistent, deep threat wide out.
OL played their best game of the season, good to see that.
That was a lot longer than I intended. Back to The Red Zone.
I actually don’t think the spike was called. You could see BC with a confused look on his face after it happened and doing a spike motion toward the sideline, almost explaining what he did. Obviously on he and coach know the truth but it looked like he was explaining it on camera afterwards.
By tyndal23
There are over a 100 teams who would kill to have Buckshot’s numbers for 2019. Extreme nitpicking if your complaining about Calvert 23-3 tds to pics - he looks night and day better week 3 on than last few years. He will be pressured a lot by UVA - their scheme is a lot different than BYU - if he breaks down mentally - that will be the game. I expected at least 2 pics last night they way they drop and have extra man in coverage - he was legit last night.
By chris leedlelee
tyndal23 wrote: November 10th, 2019, 4:29 pm There are over a 100 teams who would kill to have Buckshot’s numbers for 2019. Extreme nitpicking if your complaining about Calvert 23-3 tds to pics - he looks night and day better week 3 on than last few years. He will be pressured a lot by UVA - their scheme is a lot different than BYU - if he breaks down mentally - that will be the game. I expected at least 2 pics last night they way they drop and have extra man in coverage - he was legit last night.
If a head coach were smart, he would blitz Buckshot all night long. BC breaks down when he doesn't have time to throw. When he has time though, Buckshot can pick defenses apart easy. Hopefully UVA doesn't throw too much at him as far as blitzes go. If so, BC could have another good game, much better than last year hopefully.
By Jonathan Carone
If I were to be nitpicky in regards to Calvert, there were a few plays last night where it looked like the receiver ran an option route and Calvert misread it and threw it to the wrong place while the receiver was open.
By tyndal23
Yes but every o coordinator for every team and every Heisman candidate will have 5 plays that were sure TD’s if QB would only have looked the right way. BC footwork is so much improved and the long throw accuracy is also. He used to go on streaks hot and cold - seems much more consistent to me. Side note - I was real worried 95 was going to own our center guards - he only blew us up twice - sack and smothered MAC once. D was 2 plays away from winning us the game - that is a real tough offense to defend when qb is accurate. They are definitely a 17 point better team than us talent wise- brilliant coaching scheme by HF to shorten the game and give us a chance. Clean game not many sloppy penalties. We earned a lot of respect for any one watching. Looked like we belonged out there.
By Jonathan Carone
That’s why I said nitpicky. Most quarterbacks will have those every game. Our entire offense is built off those reads though, so it’s understandable why Freeze might be frustrated when the quarterback doesn’t make the right read.
By Rubicon
I wasn't able to watch the game --- we were at a wedding and reception of close friends in Nevada (we're from Arizona) the entire day and evening. I asked the bride's sister to look up a score on her phone.

No moral victory at all for Liberty. Got the ball back with a chance to win or tie with 1:27 left; played toe-to-toe with us on the road.

I really hope that Hugh Freeze stays at Liberty a long time, no matter what offers he gets from big programs. I'm an old-school 44 year-old who doesn't like free agency, the transfer portal, contract buy-outs, etc. It's kind of a quaint attitude in 2019, but I'd like to think that he is very grateful to Liberty for the chance they gave him, and wants to repay that by building a program that can consistently give big programs nightmares.

It's very controversial among BYU fans, but I, for one, really like independence (many fans want us to get into a conference, any conference). I've really enjoyed the variety of teams we're able to play around the world, plus the increased exposure. Even if that means running the table is a very unlikely occurrence. If we only could have taken care of business against Toledo and South Florida this year, this could have been a really good year with only losses to Utah and Washington (we could still lose to San Diego St. this year, too).

If I brought the family to Lynchburg for the game in 2022, how good of seats could we get and at what price? BYU fans don't really travel, as such --- we're already there. It only looks like we travel well. :)

For those at the game, I hope it wasn't too hazy. There were some forest fires mid-state that made southern Utah and into Nevada **very** hazy (the wedding we were at was in Cedar City).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Rubicon wrote: November 11th, 2019, 8:13 am I wasn't able to watch the game --- we were at a wedding and reception of close friends in Nevada (we're from Arizona) the entire day and evening. I asked the bride's sister to look up a score on her phone.

No moral victory at all for Liberty. Got the ball back with a chance to win or tie with 1:27 left; played toe-to-toe with us on the road.

I really hope that Hugh Freeze stays at Liberty a long time, no matter what offers he gets from big programs. I'm an old-school 44 year-old who doesn't like free agency, the transfer portal, contract buy-outs, etc. It's kind of a quaint attitude in 2019, but I'd like to think that he is very grateful to Liberty for the chance they gave him, and wants to repay that by building a program that can consistently give big programs nightmares.

It's very controversial among BYU fans, but I, for one, really like independence (many fans want us to get into a conference, any conference). I've really enjoyed the variety of teams we're able to play around the world, plus the increased exposure. Even if that means running the table is a very unlikely occurrence. If we only could have taken care of business against Toledo and South Florida this year, this could have been a really good year with only losses to Utah and Washington (we could still lose to San Diego St. this year, too).

If I brought the family to Lynchburg for the game in 2022, how good of seats could we get and at what price? BYU fans don't really travel, as such --- we're already there. It only looks like we travel well. :)

For those at the game, I hope it wasn't too hazy. There were some forest fires mid-state that made southern Utah and into Nevada **very** hazy (the wedding we were at was in Cedar City).
It's been great having your input these last few weeks Rubicon, and I hope you continue to check in from time to time.

After reading your self-description, I think there is a certain board member here who would get along great with you. 8)
By Rubicon
oldflame wrote: November 11th, 2019, 8:47 am
It's been great having your input these last few weeks Rubicon, and I hope you continue to check in from time to time.
I definitely will. My interest in Liberty isn't just as a future opponent; I'm also pulling for them to annoy the powers that be by gaining prominence. I'm definitely a secondary fan from afar.
After reading your self-description, I think there is a certain board member here who would get along great with you. 8)
Don't give ballcoach a hard time. If it weren't for people like us telling you to get off our lawns, then people would be on our lawns all the time. :lol:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like a good man.

As for BYU, I am reminded that my first girlfriend was a Mormon. Her mother tried to convert me, but was unsuccessful.
By CCWMichael
I was at a party Saturday evening. I casually went to the restroom and witnessed our first drive :football
By the time we arrived home I was able to watch the last 8 minutes so I had no input until I watched the whole game.
We had some moments that were less than desirable but others that were spot on. No great secret there as that can be said about any game. I thought we performed well against BYU. One we could have one which says a ton about this game.
The two turnovers by BYU was a huge help. Our men stood toe to toe with some good athletes. I hope they bring that drive to the woohoo game.

I will leave this positive for today. Lets get ready to be bowl eligible in two weeks.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Evidently, the game did have some impact on our visibility/willingness to share the LU brand. At the gym where I work out, I normally see LU gear about once a week. Just today, I saw two people with LU shirts on.
Of course it could be totally coincidence, especially with such a small sample size. But I am hoping that it may be related to our national TV exposure and our good showing on the field. :)
By LU 57
Rubicon wrote: November 11th, 2019, 8:13 am I wasn't able to watch the game --- we were at a wedding and reception of close friends in Nevada (we're from Arizona) the entire day and evening. I asked the bride's sister to look up a score on her phone.

My son and I headed out for the game. Weather was awesome (warmer there than in VA) and the game was great. Obviously, I wish we could have pulled it out but it was an awesome effort. I noticed more haze in SLC than in Provo.

I was impressed with the game day atmosphere. Lots of good food trucks and a band outside the stadium. They were also showing the LSU/Bama game on a large screen by the stage.

The BYU fans were great. Very knowledgeable crowd that was in it until the end. The folks I spoke to were extremely complementary of our team.

Maybe the best part aside from the game was Cosmo the Cougar. His routine with the dance team was unreal:

Anyway, I was really impressed. Hopefully we can turn this into a rivalry.

Finally, we also got a chance to take in Arches National Park. Phenomenal. It was a 3 hour drive from Provo but well worth it. If you get to Utah it is a must see.
By LibertyMan
Sorry for being a late comer but I saw the entire game and I feel LU could have won that game if they truly believed they could. Coaches coached to be competitive and not to win. I like HCHF but I think his approach of talking up the opponent while talking down our players can have a negative effect on our players mentality and confidence! Who care about how big their guys are??? You can think it, but you don't need to say it publicly. Any team can be beaten on any given night.

LU should be 8-2 right now. We have scored enough points to win every game since HCHFs return. But as we all know, DEFENSE WINS GAMES!!!

Back to the game. BYU talked all week about stopping the LU run-game. And they were successful at doing this. Had nothing to do with Mack being hesitant. There was just nothing there all night long! I wish we would take a page out of the Minnesota Vikings playbook and insert the fullback into the plays where we are looking to run a 3rd and 3 or less! Especially against a stronger d-line like BYU!

BS Calvert did not hit the flare passes soon enough for the RBs to have space to work. Instead of being his first option, it was his last option which caused the backs to run out of real estate leading to easy tackles. Those passes must come sooner! Still no mobility left 1st downs on the field. It's alright to have a good game, but to be great he has got to do more to ensure victories in tough games. I hope he will be great these last 2 games so we can get to a bowl game! BUT AGAIN, NOTHING ON THE OFFENSIVE SIDE CAUSED US TO LOOSE THE GAME! NO FUMBLES, NO INTERCEPTIONS, 303 yrds passing, 128 yards rushing and 24 points on the board!

DBs really have not improved from game to game, giving up far too many 3rd and 4th and longs. Take a couple of those possessions back and I believe LU wins the game decisively. DB coach has to do a better job D-Coordinator has to do a better job calling the plays as well. He's trying to get 3-and 4 star performances out of guys who aren't that talented. Gotta do a better job of getting them in the right defense based on their ability and IQ levels. I'm sure things will be better next year with more talent and experience, but we need them to be much better these last 2 games leading into a bowl game!

WHO MADE THE ON-SIDE KICK CALL TOWARDS THE END OF THE 3RD QUARTER DOWN BY ONLY 7??? DRASTICALL POOR DECISION!
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I respectfully disagree with you on the coaches coached to compete and not to win. I was at the game in person and I can tell you from experiencing HCHF and all the staff coached that game and every game for that matter to win.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I will not be as gracious in disagreeing. Saying a team did not play to win is pretty close to the ultimate insult, and is most definitely not deserved here. A team playing just to be competitive takes a knee at the end of the first half deep in their own territory. They don't run a trick play and then continue to try to score til the clock runs out. A team playing just to be competitive does not try that onside kick. Your whole premise is ridiculous, and not supported by the facts. As far as what HF said about their players and ours, he told the truth. You don't build a program by blowing smoke up your player's butts. Too many other innaccuracies and contradictions to mention all of them, but one stands out. You say that BYU succeeded in stopping our running game (partially true) and then in the VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH you use our 128 rushing yards as evidence that the offense did their part in trying to put the blame on the defense. Laughable.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: November 12th, 2019, 8:48 am I will not be as gracious in disagreeing. Saying a team did not play to win is pretty close to the ultimate insult, and is most definitely not deserved here. A team playing just to be competitive takes a knee at the end of the first half deep in their own territory. They don't run a trick play and then continue to try to score til the clock runs out. A team playing just to be competitive does not try that onside kick. Your whole premise is ridiculous, and not supported by the facts. As far as what HF said about their players and ours, he told the truth. You don't build a program by blowing smoke up your player's butts. Too many other innaccuracies and contradictions to mention all of them, but one stands out. You say that BYU succeeded in stopping our running game (partially true) and then in the VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH you use our 128 rushing yards as evidence that the offense did their part in trying to put the blame on the defense. Laughable.
Agree 100%. I couldn't even finish reading the post in question. Probably the worst of all time on this board. SMH
By LibertyMan
oldflame wrote: November 12th, 2019, 8:48 am I will not be as gracious in disagreeing. Saying a team did not play to win is pretty close to the ultimate insult, and is most definitely not deserved here. A team playing just to be competitive takes a knee at the end of the first half deep in their own territory. They don't run a trick play and then continue to try to score til the clock runs out. A team playing just to be competitive does not try that onside kick. Your whole premise is ridiculous, and not supported by the facts. As far as what HF said about their players and ours, he told the truth. You don't build a program by blowing smoke up your player's butts. Too many other innaccuracies and contradictions to mention all of them, but one stands out. You say that BYU succeeded in stopping our running game (partially true) and then in the VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH you use our 128 rushing yards as evidence that the offense did their part in trying to put the blame on the defense. Laughable.
Look oldflame. I've coached and assisted on a number of teams over my career. One of the more memorable experiences was at Army. What impressed me most of all with the Coach is that although we never had the best talent or biggest players, he always tell the kids "No matter how big our opponent, we are going to go in there and try to tear their heads off and they are going to know they have been in a fight!" You also don't build a program by accentuating your players weaknesses why talking up the other teams strengths. Isn't this why the Israelites circled the mountains for 40 years? I can tell you BYU coaches were in fear of having a lot more than 128 yards rushing against them. Sorry...not a contradiction!

The fact that you can't see that the defense lost this game is what's really "Laughable!" I didn't say the team did not play to win. Those are your words! I said the Coaches coached to be competitive and not to win! So all of your comments about the "team" are misguided. The "taking a knee" part is extremely laughable! And shows that you don't have a clue about how to recognize the difference between coaching to be competitive and coaching like you believe your team will win the game! Every coach is guilty of this at some point in their career. And often more than once. So, if you know anything at all about football, then act like it and stop trying to be "Spicey!" LOL

I don't buy the "moral victory" stuff! Calling an on-side kick in the third quarter down only 7 is not a winning strategy. It's a panic move and a bad call. The percentage of successful on-side kicks in FBS football is extremely LOW! Why risk it? It completely take the momentum away from the team and makes their work twice as hard! You and I have seen too many teams lose games this way!

Don't get me wrong oldflame, I 100% support HCHF. I just think that he has not completely got his "mojo" back yet. I just thinks that he feels he had to be extremely conservative this season and that's just not his style. This has caused him to make decisions in games that he himself have said on occasion, were not the best calls! I'm confident that he will get it by year 2 with recruiting more talent. He is operating in unfamiliar territory. But all we are doing here is providing our observations regarding year 1.

I like your passion...stay SPICEY! 8)
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]