If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The updated Liberty page at verbalcommits.com shows that not only have we gotten the commitment from Jackson, but apparently we have also dropped our offers to both Jackson Siville and Dean Rieber.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/liberty

Jackson is a SF, somewhat similar to Siville, but Reiber is a 6'10" PF. With one scholarship remaining, I would think we are now focusing on another big. Wouldn't be surprised to hear something soon.
If we hold on to Jackson, which Ritchie's track record as a recruiter says we will. Then this may be as big a steal if not bigger than Lovell when we signed him. Either way, as a life-long UNC bball fan this pick up is exciting!
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
If he grows an inch or two, which he probably will, bigger schools will probably come offer. He’s a little undersized for a 3, where he’s projected to play. A lot of people said the same with the Curry’s of being undersized.

Big pick up none the less. Lethal shooter and he can create his own shot. Now we desperately need post depth.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
The Jackson family had visited LU and were on campus when Justin was at UNC. I heard a comment was made that Justin would have considered LU if they knew about the school while he was being recruited. I've been following Justin since I first heard about the interest from the family. I'm not surprised byJonathan's commit. The trajectory of LU athletics, facilities and specifically the basketball program have been on the rise. Coach RMK and staff are building something special.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The recent events in recruiting open the door to a lot of speculation as to what happened with all 3 recruits involved. Did Ritchie make a decision to go with Jonathan over Jackson Sivills (an excellent prospect who looks like he would also have been a great fit at Liberty), or did Sevills have enough interest from high major programs (no offers yet) that he lost interest? I'm inclined to believe the former. The other player who had his offer dropped, Dean Reiber, would seem to meet a need on the roster and also looks like a Liberty type kid. Like Sivills, he has interest from some high major programs, with an offer from Penn State. I'm beginning to think we may now be in the mix for one or more big men who are on a whole other level, and could make this recruiting class the one that takes our program to national prominence.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: May 1st, 2019, 11:11 pm The Jackson family had visited LU and were on campus when Justin was at UNC. I heard a comment was made that Justin would have considered LU if they knew about the school while he was being recruited. I've been following Justin since I first heard about the interest from the family. I'm not surprised byJonathan's commit. The trajectory of LU athletics, facilities and specifically the basketball program have been on the rise. Coach RMK and staff are building something special.
I don't see any way Justin did not know about Liberty. He played for the same home-school program as the Sanders brothers, and he also played several times against Ryan Kemrite. He was informed enough to know how awful the basketball program was back then, and that he had way better options.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Justin knew plenty about Liberty. I used to see him in LU gear when he was at HCYA practice while in HS. The Sanders Brothers' dad Bob was his coach. Our program wasn't ready for him yet back in those days.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
2020 commit Drake Dobbs opened eyes at the Rivals "Fantastic 40" event in Vegas, and they have dropped 3 stars on him.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... iting-news

Scroll down to the end of the article for the info on Drake. Love it that other players and coaches were apparently coming to them and questioning why he isn't getting more love.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... bbs-256489
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
2 players we offered earlier and then dropped when we got commitments from Jonathan Jackson and Micaiah Abii, have committed to other schools.

6'6" SF Jackson Sivills to Murray State
6'9" PF Darius Hannah to Bradley
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
With Keegan transferring, it's time to look at possibilities for the scholarship that frees up next year. My first impression is that the situation is made to order for a grad transfer (can we just clone Keenan Gumbs)? At this point it's too early for the transfer portal list to be much help. Only 19 names so far (Keegan is not on it yet) and only 2 are grad transfers.

As far as HS players are concerned, both of the other kids we had previously offered have committed to other schools, but it's entirely possible they only did because we did not have a scholarship for them. I wouldn't mind one bit if we could steal Jackson Sivills from Murray State, but being as that's close to home for him, I think it's unlikely.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Having a scholarship available for next year opens the possibility of us going full bore after Issac McBride, who just transferred out of Kansas. A bit of a long shot, and I expect he will end up a Razerback, but if Ritchie could somehow get him on campus, he is the kind of kid who just might fall in love with the school. Lots of speculation on the Kansas message board, but the reason that makes the most sense for his leaving is that he is not interested in being a one and done player and wants to be able to compete for championships down the road. Kansas is in deep trouble with the NCAA, and that is very likely to not be an option there.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
If he wants to compete for championships I'm not sure Arkansas, or LU for that matter, are the best places for that.

We certainly will have some holes to fill quickly so I like your thinking.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: November 10th, 2019, 9:47 am If he wants to compete for championships I'm not sure Arkansas, or LU for that matter, are the best places for that.

We certainly will have some holes to fill quickly so I like your thinking.
I think Mussleman will do some good things at Arkansas. Not necessarily talking about NATIONAL championships here. More like winning conference and going to the dance, which if things are as bad as I hear with the NCAA problems at Kansas, he wouldn't be doing there. As far as holes are concerned, we had pretty much addressed them with the 4 commits we have for 2020 already. Keegan's departure creates one more opening. McBride would probably have to sit a year, but he would absolutely be worth it. I really think it's more likely we go the grad transfer route.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: November 12th, 2019, 3:26 pm Rivals has us with the 65th best recruiting class in the country and that is without Jonathan jackson's commitment.
Not sure including Jackson would help much there. He is an intriguing prospect and had interest from some big players (probably because of his brother) but I believe ultimately we were his only offer. I think the HM programs shied away because they looked at him as an undersized 3, which he is at that level. I believe he can play the 2, but more importantly, we have seen for the last 2 years plus with Cuffee that a player his size can also excel at SF in this system.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]