Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
I get why Manson posted it – clicks are king – but our fan base has to do a lot better job of reading sources for content like this instead of just taking everything at face value and running with it.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Our (UW) former HC took off for Arkansas after some good years at UW. He thought with easier recruiting stds he could win a NC. Bet he feels differently today as he is just fat and richer.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 11th, 2019, 5:00 pm A random online bookie probably isn't the most reliable source for if Freeze is a legitimate candidate at Arkansas.
Hugh Freeze is being seriously considered by Arkansas.

From a betting perspective, the odds posted are the numbers expected (and adjusted in the future) to create a balanced submission of bets. The house always wins.

Bobby Petrino is on the list because he led the Razorbacks to 10-3 and 11-2 seasons before his motorcycle accident. Some people will gamble that BP will be rehired as head coach. There is a history which will drive some interest. Odds are only posted so that someone can make money. The house always wins.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote: November 11th, 2019, 5:21 pm Our (UW) former HC took off for Arkansas after some good years at UW. He thought with easier recruiting stds he could win a NC. Bet he feels differently today as he is just fat and richer.
What a disaster. Yes, he’s fat.
By Jonathan Carone
SumItUp wrote: November 11th, 2019, 5:25 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 11th, 2019, 5:00 pm A random online bookie probably isn't the most reliable source for if Freeze is a legitimate candidate at Arkansas.
Hugh Freeze is being seriously considered by Arkansas.

From a betting perspective, the odds posted are the numbers expected (and adjusted in the future) to create a balanced submission of bets. The house always wins.

Bobby Petrino is on the list because he led the Razorbacks to 10-3 and 11-2 seasons before his motorcycle accident. Some people will gamble that BP will be rehired as head coach. There is a history which will drive some interest. Odds are only posted so that someone can make money. The house always wins.
I wasn’t trying to say he wasn’t being considered. I was saying we have to pay attention to the sources when we go into this. You’re much more connected to things out that way so I’m not at all surprised you know things the general public doesn’t. But just as Random Bill’s NFL Draft Projections saying AGG is a first rounder isn’t a credible source, an online bookie isn’t either.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I don't ever recall us having this problem with Coach Gill, but I remember during the Coach Rocco years that there were a few rumors spinning around about a handfull P5 schools that might be interested in Rocco.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Rocco may be a lifetime FCS coach. Lots of lateral moves.

All those talking heads are guessing as who next Arkansas coach will be. They not know anymore than posters on this board.
By LUOrange
Didn't Rocco supposedly turn down ECU? Any truth to that? I liked Rocco, but if true, he was dumb.

And I don't think Coach Freeze is going anywhere anytime soon. The line in the ESPN Radio interview that stood out to me was, "We can build something really special here." Sure, he could return FSU and Arkansas to their greatness, and he could make Vandy and Kentucky decent teams. But only here at Liberty can he become legendary. And he knows it.
By LUDad
To my point about Greg Marshall, he was content and wanted to stay at WS. He just wanted to be paid market rate. You don't get there without being courted.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I have come to grips with 2 things concerning HCHF and his tenure here. First, I am super thankful we got him and will always be thankful no matter the length of stay. However, if he did jet after 1 year I would be shocked and disappointed. Second, no matter how long he stays we his name will come up EVERY YEAR during the coaching carousel months of November, December and January. It is the nature of the beast that is our head ball coach!
By LUOrange
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: November 12th, 2019, 12:33 am I have come to grips with 2 things concerning HCHF and his tenure here. First, I am super thankful we got him and will always be thankful no matter the length of stay. However, if he did jet after 1 year I would be shocked and disappointed. Second, no matter how long he stays we his name will come up EVERY YEAR during the coaching carousel months of November, December and January. It is the nature of the beast that is our head ball coach!
i agree, and am sure that this is and would be the case with any similar high profile coach at the G5 or FCS level.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I am obviously not in the know or an expert on this kind of thing but I still am not sure if an SEC school is willing to take the PR risk of hiring HF as their head coach. I know that he was getting looked at for some SEC assistant spots before taking the liberty job but a head coaching gig is completely different. Another 2 or 3 years of decent succuss at Liberty without any problems? Then we may have something more to actually being worried about.

I could be wrong but that is just kind of my gut feeling on this.
By chris leedlelee
thepostman wrote: November 12th, 2019, 1:37 pm I am obviously not in the know or an expert on this kind of thing but I still am not sure if an SEC school is willing to take the PR risk of hiring HF as their head coach. I know that he was getting looked at for some SEC assistant spots before taking the liberty job but a head coaching gig is completely different. Another 2 or 3 years of decent succuss at Liberty without any problems? Then we may have something more to actually being worried about.

I could be wrong but that is just kind of my gut feeling on this.
I agree. All of this talk of HF leaving early is way too premature. Give him a few years here, then we can worry about him leaving. His family is here, and he has been deeply touched by the way LU treated him with his health scare. It is safe to say he is not just here for a year or two, just to jump to another job. His children are at LU, and that is something that not many people take into account. I am just glad LU has a good enough head coach at the moment that his name does float around for a potential snatching by a P5 school.
Last edited by chris leedlelee on November 12th, 2019, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Class of 20Something
I'm going to knock the kids argument. A lot of coach kids transfer to where Dad is coaching. It's part of that business.

I still think HCHF is going to be here at least through three years.

With his past considered, I think he can make a bigger difference in the world and in the kingdom here.

I'm interested in what JLFJR and IM have discussed as the long term cap on coaching. Knowing if the end game is to retain a top 25/15/10(team ranking) coach or assume the role of most G5s as jumping pads.
By Turtleman
Definitely agree that the Freeze to be next coach elsewhere rumors are just something we will have to get use to for as long as he’s here. Anyone who thinks he would not jump to a good P5 or especially SEC school is kidding themselves tho. Yes his children go here and it’s clear he is grateful to Liberty and feels at home for the moment with this program. Let’s remember the sour taste he left in Arkansas St fans mouths when he jump ship there after just 1 year to get to the SEC. He has also spoken in length about how on his honeymoon he and his wife went to the Football Field at Tennessee and prayed about his calling to coach on the SEC. Lets just enjoy the time that we have him here
By chris leedlelee
If anyone is interested, on the Liberty football radio show this week, a student asked HF how long he is going to be here, and HF gave a pretty reassuring response (Leave it to a student to bring up the uncomfortable question, lol). HF said he is not even taking any phone calls right now and "wants to get Liberty to where it can be first." Seems to be a very nice response to hear as a Liberty fan. It is at about the 26 minute mark of the show for those who wish to hear his whole response.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I've always enjoyed weekly the weekly coaches show because it builds a connection between the head ball coach and the student body, community and gives an opportunity to questions like this. It allows the fans to see the coach as a real person and not just as a celebrity figure on campus.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]