Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Over the weekend, the UConn AD said they are close to releasing the majority of their 2020 schedule. He indicated that some of the 2020 opponents juggled their previously announced schedules to help them out (multi-school moves). Will be interesting to see if LU is involved.
A UConn and Liberty series would be good for both schools. Much better than the Umass Liberty series with how Umass is beginning to look. Another viable lower level independent with Liberty is good to have so LU doesn't seem so misplaced. Umass and NM State seem to be showing that they are not viable as FBS independents. I'd hate for LU to be such an outlier, although I like independence.
Playing UCONN, UMASS, and the rest of our Independent brethren as regularly as possible only makes sense. It's the right thing to do for many reasons. Having the reputation of being accommodating and great to work with, will only help us in the long run with conference membership. Besides, I'll take playing UCONN, UMASS, and NMSU over Presbyterian and St. Francis any day.
On FBS Schedule, we play UVA on November 7th, while this article is stating that we play at UCONN on October 31st. If this is correct, then we should be fine since we never had a game on that Saturday (31st). We do not need to replace the UVA game on our schedule and that would give us 13 games in total. Unless we have cancelled the game against UVA and replace it with UCONN on the 31st, then it is not disappointing at all.
LU Grad 11 wrote: October 24th, 2019, 6:59 am https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-uc ... story.html

If true, this is disappointing. UConn over UVA? Would have preferred to see us drop one of the FCS games, and get UConn at home.
UVa is playing UConn as well. I would suspect that UVa dropped us for UConn first and we responded by getting UConn to replace it. We'll still get a payout/buyout from Virginia plus a payday from UConn.
flamehunter wrote: October 24th, 2019, 8:34 am
LU Grad 11 wrote: October 24th, 2019, 6:59 am https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-uc ... story.html

If true, this is disappointing. UConn over UVA? Would have preferred to see us drop one of the FCS games, and get UConn at home.
UVa is playing UConn as well. I would suspect that UVa dropped us for UConn first and we responded by getting UConn to replace it. We'll still get a payout/buyout from Virginia plus a payday from UConn.
I'm afraid this may be a case where we are becoming a victim of our success. While in some ways it makes sense for UVA to play in-state opponents when they schedule a G5 level game, it becomes less of a positive if they think there is a chance we will be a dangerous opponent. Right now it looks like UConn projects to be an easier win. How many Liberty people have bought tickets for this year's game may be a factor as well. If it looks like we will travel several thousand every time they play us at home, they may or may not think that's a good thing.
There's some short sightedness going on in this thread.

We helped out both UConn and UVA in this. UConn gets two games and we push UVA back a couple years. It also makes next year's path to a bowl game easier.

So if we're keeping score at home:

1) Helped a fellow independent out ensuring a good relationship moving forward
2) Maintained our relationship with the closest P5 to us
3) Added another game to 2023 (a season with 8 winnable games as it stands now) so we only have one left to fill.
4) Helped our path to a bowl game get easier next year

I'm all for it. Great job to Mickey and his team.
I am all for this move. Next year was going to be challenging with games at VA. Tech, at Syracuse, at Virginia, and at NC State, with losing our top QB and WR. The 2023 schedule seemed very weak to me, with the only notable game at South Carolina. Also, with having two FCS opponents next year, it made any road to a bowl game very difficult. Adding UConn makes it more possible, and moving Virginia to 2023 when the freshman we get this year will be seniors and we have more depth, is a win win. I still hate having two FCS games in 2020 and would love to get rid of Western Carolina.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]