If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
That would be Efton Reid, the 7'0" 240 lb post player from Stewart School in Richmond. With the list of high major teams who have offered him, getting him on campus is a major coup.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Steward School moved to the TCIS so we'll have some opportunities to see him in the 757
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We have offered a SG for this class, but if things don't work out with Brody Peebles, we could do a whole lot worse than Trae Benham, the son of former Liberty baseball player (and co-benefactor for the naming of our baseball field after Al Worthington) Jason Benham. 6'3" combo guard who has had a great Summer and Fall on the grassroots circuit and recently picked up offers from Winthrop and North Florida.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/trae-benham
https://twitter.com/TraeBenham
https://hoopseen.com/news/player/201906 ... ial-visits
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: October 12th, 2019, 11:26 am Joseph Venzant is on his official visit. I believe we have a great shot at landing him. 3 star guard with a Wake offer.
That's exciting, especially if it could also get us a foot in the door for his 2022 teammate Austin Nunez, who is a 4 star with multiple high-major offers.

For the record, Joseph has an offer from Wake, but so do 10 other SGs.
Last edited by olldflame on October 12th, 2019, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 12th, 2019, 11:53 am Coach McKay has got us rolling on the court and on the recruiting trail. Somebody on the forum mentioned his success rate in getting kids to commit that he offers and gets them on campus.
If you look at the % of players he offers who end up signing, it could be the highest in all of college basketball. Ritchie really zeroes in on players who are a fit for both his system and the school/team culture, and makes a ridiculously low number of offers compared to most coaches.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: October 12th, 2019, 12:07 pm If you look at the % of players he offers who end up signing, it could be the highest in all of college basketball.
I think oldflame is starting to sound a little like ballcoach. :shock: :oldhag
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: October 12th, 2019, 1:23 pm
oldflame wrote: October 12th, 2019, 12:07 pm If you look at the % of players he offers who end up signing, it could be the highest in all of college basketball.
I think oldflame is starting to sound a little like ballcoach. :shock: :oldhag
:rofl The big difference is basing what I say on facts. Not suggesting we can go head to head with KY and Duke for the same players. We just do a good job of identifying kids who are a fit and don't make a bunch of random offers to prospects just because they have stars after their names. As a result, we really do sign a very high % of our offers.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: October 12th, 2019, 11:26 am Joseph Venzant is on his official visit. I believe we have a great shot at landing him. 3 star guard with a Wake offer.
We just offered.
https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/joseph-venzant

Look at his offer graphic on VC. This is a perfect example of how RMK's recruiting strategy is so different from someone like Manning at Wake, who has offered 11 SGs.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: October 13th, 2019, 1:50 pm To be fair we offered Jahmai Mashack as well. So we have a total 3 SG on record with an offer.
True. What we don't know is if all 3 of those offers are still open. 3 at 1 position would be highly unusual for Ritchie. Mashack looks like a great fit for our system, but was he offered before April, when we got the commitment from Warfield for 2020? They certainly look to be a very similar players. Are we still going to pursue Peebles after offering Venzant? I'm thinking maybe no.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
So as it stands we would have cuffee and mcdowells if we use his on a grad transfer. Is it 2 or 3 we have? Sounds like were all in on peeples, jalen smith and the 2 guys mentioned above?

Now that we have this years class im trying to catch up with where we are. Of the guys ive seen i think we get 2 of those guys for sure.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: November 15th, 2019, 2:58 pm So Maide will not redshirt this season?
I don't think even RMK knows yet. The decision to redshirt was made before McDowell announced his transfer. Marten's injury will not keep him out all year and I am speculating that with McDowell gone, they may end up playing him once he is healthy. No need to make the actual decision until he is cleared to play.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]