Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

oldflame wrote: October 5th, 2019, 9:10 am I am going to make another post concerning the Vines/new arena discussion in the appropriate forum. The term :offtopic somehow doesn't seem adequate to describe where this has gone here.
Well, since we have people discussing the desirability of our programs based on basketball facilities (scroll back of you have forgotten) it does fit here.
rogers3 wrote: October 5th, 2019, 9:40 am
oldflame wrote: October 5th, 2019, 9:10 am I am going to make another post concerning the Vines/new arena discussion in the appropriate forum. The term :offtopic somehow doesn't seem adequate to describe where this has gone here.
Well, since we have people discussing the desirability of our programs based on basketball facilities (scroll back of you have forgotten) it does fit here.
Maybe to start, but it has gone on and on and gotten really basketball-specific. I made another post in the "New Arena" thread in the basketball forum. Trigger warning. I don't think you will like it. :lol:
amar0819 wrote: October 7th, 2019, 1:41 pm Funny Liberty is not listed here but in another ESPN article have a 98% chance to make a bowl game :dontgetit
When I read it, I thought there might be something fishy with Coastal on there. They are certainly not the 2nd best team in the Sunbelt- currently tied for third based on OOC record, but they were predicted to be in the middle of the pack at the beginning of the season and they have some tough games over the next two months .
Just a question. In 2020, Liberty plays North Carolina A@T and Western Carolina. Are those both FCS schools? By playing 2, Liberty really hurts their chance at a 2020 bowl game since only 1 counts towards the mandatory six wins.
sstaedtler wrote: October 9th, 2019, 12:20 pm Just a question. In 2020, Liberty plays North Carolina A@T and Western Carolina. Are those both FCS schools? By playing 2, Liberty really hurts their chance at a 2020 bowl game since only 1 counts towards the mandatory six wins.
Yep, just like this season with Hampton and Maine.
Was just thinking about scheduling and how Liberty has such a geography advantage over many teams, especially out West. Look how many big name teams are within a few hours of Liberty. (These times are approximate)

Virginia Tech 1 hour
Virginia 1 hour, 13 minutes
North Carolina 1 hour, 53 minutes
Duke 2 hours, 6 minutes
Wake Forest 2 hours, 25 minutes
NC State, 2 hours 28 minutes
Maryland 3 hours, 24 minutes
Old Dominion 3 hours, 27 minutes
Appalachian State 3 hours, 39 minutes
East Carolina 3 hours, 46 minutes
Clemson 4 hours, 27 minutes
South Carolina 4 hours, 30 minutes
Marshall 4 hours, 42 minutes
Tennessee, 4 hours, 45 minutes
West Virginia 4 hours, 48 minutes

If you want to between 6 and 7 hours, you could add Vanderbilt and Kentucky. But that is a lot of scheduling options that work well with geography.
Yeah I get your point. But driving to Blacksburg every week you can count on about 2 hours to Blacksburg. You’ll get there sooner but plan for it
So I am firmly happy with independent. I’d be perfectly happy with remaining that way. I NEVER want to see us in Sun Belt, MAC, even CUSA. Outside of the obvious (SEC, ACC, Big 10, Pac 12) which we have no shot in our lifetime of being part of under current alignment. The only conference I would want our leadership to consider or pursue is Big 12. It’s a P5 with great competition. It’s unlikely but has some factors to consider. There are 2 private “Christian” schools already in membership. It has an odd number of teams. Really to me that’s the only potential I would want to see. American is okay and I could probably get on board with it but I really don’t want to. Just some thoughts I have had on this Bye Week Saturday.
alabama24 wrote: October 12th, 2019, 9:11 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: October 12th, 2019, 9:04 pm Some of those teams are not big name teams. No more than 4, at best.
Surely you exaggerate. There is not four.
I shouldn't have use the term big-name teams. What I should have said is power 5 conference teams. Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, North Carolina, South Carolina, Clemson. Tennessee, NC State, Maryland, West Virginia.....all within reasonable driving distance.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
“Reasonable”? Ok, but that’s relative.

I don’t know how you’re getting from Lynchburg to Morgantown in 4:48. Even when I hammered-down, the fastest I ever did it was about 5:15. And doing it like that, you’re gonna pay for it in Summerville.
JK37 wrote: October 13th, 2019, 9:06 am “Reasonable”? Ok, but that’s relative.

I don’t know how you’re getting from Lynchburg to Morgantown in 4:48. Even when I hammered-down, the fastest I ever did it was about 5:15. And doing it like that, you’re gonna pay for it in Summerville.
Yeah, that’s certainly hammer down. Also not taking into account a stop at Bambi Lea’s in Berkley Springs!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 13th, 2019, 10:11 am

Yeah, that’s certainly hammer down. Also not taking into account a stop at Bambi Lea’s in Berkley Springs!
How could I have forgotten that?!

I google-mapped it, and the 4:48 route crosses the mountains further north, then going through eastern panhandle and over 68 through Preston County. I’ve don’t that a few times. BEAUTIFUL! But never that fast. And the windiest roads you could imagine.
JK37 wrote: October 13th, 2019, 11:43 am
Purple Haize wrote: October 13th, 2019, 10:11 am

How could I have forgotten that?!

I google-mapped it, and the 4:48 route crosses the mountains further north, then going through eastern panhandle and over 68 through Preston County. I’ve don’t that a few times. BEAUTIFUL! But never that fast. And the windiest roads you could imagine.
Yeah I always take 81 then cut over 522 thru Bekley Springs. Pick up 68 and into Morgantown. Best route to go by far. It’s a solid 5 to 5:30.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]