This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

LUAlum1215 wrote: July 30th, 2019, 8:52 am No, it won’t in the DeMoss Lot, but just off the SE corner of it. That section of University Blvd is already closed for construction for the Liberty Arena and won’t be reopened. That was a large reason for the new University Blvd immediately adjacent to 460.
If the plans they filed with the city are accurate, it sure looks like they will be slicing off some of the parking lot to build this. This is a pretty tight fit. The plans show the new building being much closer to the water fountain than DeMoss is.

Scale-wise, I think that this will look like a little buiding in front of a big building (like if they built the White House 50 feet in front of the Pentagon). I have a feeling that a future project will be to redo the front of DeMoss to create more of a two-buildings-connected-by-glass look - similar to what they have done on the other side of the building and on most of the new buildings on the academic lawn. This would create the illusion that the engineering building is in front of two similar sized buildings.
BlueBlood wrote: July 30th, 2019, 9:35 am
LUAlum1215 wrote: July 30th, 2019, 8:52 am No, it won’t in the DeMoss Lot, but just off the SE corner of it. That section of University Blvd is already closed for construction for the Liberty Arena and won’t be reopened. That was a large reason for the new University Blvd immediately adjacent to 460.
If the plans they filed with the city are accurate, it sure looks like they will be slicing off some of the parking lot to build this. This is a pretty tight fit. The plans show the new building being much closer to the water fountain than DeMoss is.

Scale-wise, I think that this will look like a little buiding in front of a big building (like if they built the White House 50 feet in front of the Pentagon). I have a feeling that a future project will be to redo the front of DeMoss to create more of a two-buildings-connected-by-glass look - similar to what they have done on the other side of the building and on most of the new buildings on the academic lawn. This would create the illusion that the engineering building is in front of two similar sized buildings.
The dot on the map in the plans is not accurate. I am 90% sure they won’t lose any of the parking lot, but if any is affected it will be the faculty side that is/used to be gated. DeMoss, Business, and Engineering will create a triangle of sorts with a small courtyard between them. The current road that was Universlty Blvd, now DeMoss Drive, will end at the entrance to the DeMoss Lot.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
So why does LU suddenly need to develop New London Airport into a larger GA field? Isn't the current airport more than adequate? This sounds like the same process LU has followed with the transit system. I'll be surprised if it passes the BoS, but I also expect Jerry to sue.
rogers3 wrote: October 9th, 2019, 7:10 am So why does LU suddenly need to develop New London Airport into a larger GA field? Isn't the current airport more than adequate? This sounds like the same process LU has followed with the transit system. I'll be surprised if it passes the BoS, but I also expect Jerry to sue.
Probably because they want to move away from the active airport in the area. I have no doubt they have hangar fees like crazy over there.

I’d also imagine they would want to be on the receiving end of that revenue. Hangar or ramp parking and gas for anyone that wants to land at New London.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
They do own Freedom. LU hasn't stated clearly their plans for New London and there is a fair amount of speculation. One rumor is the possibility of using it as a lever to keep LYH from being managed by an airport authority. The fueling business might be a franchise model; there have been some people who we're not supportive of Liberty providing the service. I also wonder if LU might actually own some of the buildings and only have a ground lease.
rogers3 wrote: October 9th, 2019, 9:32 pm They do own Freedom. LU hasn't stated clearly their plans for New London and there is a fair amount of speculation. One rumor is the possibility of using it as a lever to keep LYH from being managed by an airport authority. The fueling business might be a franchise model; there have been some people who we're not supportive of Liberty providing the service. I also wonder if LU might actually own some of the buildings and only have a ground lease.
I see that now in some research. I learned something today.
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 9th, 2019, 10:21 pm I don’t understand anything in the last four posts but hey, it was civil and informative. Good on you guys.
Jet A = Plane Gas

Freedom Aviation is apparently a Liberty subsidiary. Freedom Aviation is the sole FBO Fixed Base Operator at LYH. All refueling, hangaring, renting and maintenance goes through them.

Also thinking about it, is the SoA occupying a large portion of space that could be rented to external sources?
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 9th, 2019, 10:21 pm I don’t understand anything in the last four posts but hey, it was civil and informative. Good on you guys.
Come on, I'm always civil...

unless I feel that I should not be civil!
Class of 20Something wrote: October 9th, 2019, 11:04 pm
Jet A = Plane Gas

Freedom Aviation is apparently a Liberty subsidiary. Freedom Aviation is the sole FBO Fixed Base Operator at LYH. All refueling, hangaring, renting and maintenance goes through them.

Also thinking about it, is the SoA occupying a large portion of space that could be rented to external sources?
That could be. City Council just took the first steps to turn the airport over to a regional authority yet to be created. There is talk of building out some industrial area connecting the airport with Waterlick Rd. I heard from a reliable source that Jerry isn't too fond of the idea and doesn't want to work with an Authority; hence the question about the New London site. I'm curious to see how Bedford County will rule on the appeal.
By LUAlum1215
The biggest thing I’ve heard regarding the interest in New London expansion was to move the SoA there completely. Outside of the FBO, it seems as if they want to cut ties with LYH. The runway at NL is long enough for any of our SoA planes to operate on, so I’m curious why they’d want to add on to that. Surely they wouldn’t want to relocate the FBO due to the remote location, right?
I’m curious what the home and property owners think of it. Also there’s a pretty decent air strip for LU’s purposes in Brookneal that could be a win/win for everyone
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 11th, 2019, 8:42 am I’m curious what the home and property owners think of it. Also there’s a pretty decent air strip for LU’s purposes in Brookneal that could be a win/win for everyone
Although LU uses the Brookneal airstrip, its already been ruled out for further development by LU:
https://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/ ... 24f9d.html
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 8:13 am The biggest thing I’ve heard regarding the interest in New London expansion was to move the SoA there completely. Outside of the FBO, it seems as if they want to cut ties with LYH. The runway at NL is long enough for any of our SoA planes to operate on, so I’m curious why they’d want to add on to that. Surely they wouldn’t want to relocate the FBO due to the remote location, right?
New London wouldn't work for the FBO. My guess is this will end up in some kind of litigation. If Bedford County votes it down, it won't happen; just wonder how much back channel wrangling is taking place.
thepostman wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 5:45 am Here are some updates on some projects on going. A good look at the new basketball arena.

My favorite construction project was the new softball stadium, followed by football indoor practice facility.

Last night my radar screen picked up on a rumor than the Vines Center is close to getting a new roof. Actually I had heard this before, but it died out.
By LUAlum1215
ballcoach15 wrote: October 16th, 2019, 8:41 am
thepostman wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 5:45 am Here are some updates on some projects on going. A good look at the new basketball arena.

My favorite construction project was the new softball stadium, followed by football indoor practice facility.

Last night my radar screen picked up on a rumor than the Vines Center is close to getting a new roof. Actually I had heard this before, but it died out.
I can second the rumor on the new roof. Actually, I saw a rendering on paper (image only- no description of plans) and it looked amazing.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Regarding the New London airport:

https://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/ ... bd12f.html
Liberty University’s proposal said the development would be constructed in three phases. During the first phase, the university would construct aircraft hangars, an airport terminal and a maintenance building, and expand the airport’s parking area and aircraft aprons, where planes are parked.

The second phase would include the construction of additional hangars, a fueling station, classroom space for the university’s School of Aviation and Unmanned Aircraft System School and a second, longer runway, according to the application.

The final phase would include the construction of additional hangars or commercial buildings for aviation-related businesses. The project, if approved, is expected to be completed by 2037, according to the university.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
This also looks interesting, as it will no doubt have an impact on the school.

https://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/ ... 0bb83.html
The Virginia Department of Transportation will hold a public information meeting on Oct. 29 regarding potential corridor improvements for the U.S. 460/29 corridor in Campbell County, according to a news release the department issued Wednesday.

At the meeting, VDOT representatives will present the concepts and strategies of the U.S. 460/29 arterial management plan. The proposed plan seeks to enhance safety and capacity along the corridor while balancing the needs of economic development and access management.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]