Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
We now have 3 wins that count for bowl eligibility, and need 3 more. The Maine game will not come, and 5 out of 6 of the games against FBS competition are on the road.

New Mexico State - currently winless, we beat them on the road last year and they beat us at home. On paper we should sweep this series, but as we found out last year its hard to beat a team twice in the season. Nevertheless, its a different season and these should be two of our wins, provided Virginia doesn't beat us up to much before we host them at home.

UMass - aka UMess on the ESPN Bottom 10. Again, on paper, we should win, but our last visit to Amherst didn't go so well. The Minutemen picked up their first win last night against Akron. They lost to Rutgers, 48-21, to open the season. We're favored, but we always seem to lose at least one game we should win.

Rutgers - beat UMass 48-21, but haven't won since. Were shut-out by Iowa and Michigan, and since beating UMass opponents have been hanging at least 30 points on them. If our defense plays the way they did last night, we have a great shot at our first win over a B1G team.

BYU - they won at Tennessee, but so did Georgia State (NOT Southern). They also beat #24 USC, but lost to two other ranked opponents on their schedule. Last night they lost to Toledo, a team we nearly beat 12 years ago when we were an FCS team. This year Toledo is 3 - 1 with their only loss to Kentucky. BYU likely beats us in Provo.

Virginia - they handled us in Charlottesville last year, and are performing as predicted this year. They hung with Notre Dame for most of the game, so unless they overlook us (and they might, considering they have Tech coming to town the weekend after us) they will have no problem getting a win over us.

Prediction - we get our 3 wins by sweeping NMSU and beating UMass, with a bonus win over Rutgers to become bowl eligible. We lose to BYU and Virginia.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Should be titled “Road to Bowl Eligibility”. Eligibility doesn’t necessarily equal an Invite for LU.
By Jonathan Carone
I’m ruling BYU and UVA out.

For the other four, we’re currently favorites in three of them. The one we’re not (Rutgers) are getting closer to being favored. That game is up to 45% to win.

If we finished with less than 7 wins, it will be very disappointing.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Something else that just occurred to me: could LU’s political/media baggage affect a bowl committee’s desire to select Liberty as a participant?

I hope not, but objectively I really think it could.
By chris leedlelee
JK37 wrote: September 29th, 2019, 10:53 am Something else that just occurred to me: could LU’s political/media baggage affect a bowl committee’s desire to select Liberty as a participant?

While I'd say its a possibility, LU, if bowl eligible, would be a prime candidate for many of the bowls with which it has tie-ins. A bowl eligible LU shouldn't struggle to get a bowl bid IMHO.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Im feeling the sweep of NMSU and a win over UMass. If we lose to UVa and BYU as expected, I say we go at minimum 5-2 which puts us at 8-4 (7 counter wins) which should give us a nice resume for a bowl invite
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
chris leedlelee wrote: September 29th, 2019, 9:32 pm
JK37 wrote: September 29th, 2019, 10:53 am Something else that just occurred to me: could LU’s political/media baggage affect a bowl committee’s desire to select Liberty as a participant?

While I'd say its a possibility, LU, if bowl eligible, would be a prime candidate for many of the bowls with which it has tie-ins. A bowl eligible LU shouldn't struggle to get a bowl bid IMHO.
This year, LU only has one tie-in.
By rtb72

I was thinking the same thing. While I hope it does not, was this not in part what hindered us in being accepted into FBS initially? Accepted by a conference? While it may be an unspoken reason, I have concerns it could plague our selection for a bowl. Hopefully, it's just unnecessary worry.....
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: September 29th, 2019, 11:06 pm

I was thinking the same thing. While I hope it does not, was this not in part what hindered us in being accepted into FBS initially? Accepted by a conference? While it may be an unspoken reason, I have concerns it could plague our selection for a bowl. Hopefully, it's just unnecessary worry.....
It hindered us in finding a conference that would invite us because those decisions are made by college Presidents, who tend to be ivory tower academic lib-tards. Bowl selections are made by football people and corporate sponsors.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: September 30th, 2019, 5:44 am

It hindered us in finding a conference that would invite us because those decisions are made by college Presidents, who tend to be ivory tower academic lib-tards. Bowl selections are made by football people and corporate sponsors.
Not to hijack this thread (my apologies) but I think it hinders our home attendance to a certain degree as well. So could it? Yes. Should it? No.
By rtb72
I was curious about the bowl schedule for 2019/20. I guess I had forgotten how many bowls there are now. Nevertheless, I noticed on the CBS site I reviewed that every single bowl has conference tie ins with the exception of the Cotton Bowl (both at-large). There are several conferences that have multiple tie ins with different bowls, i.e. SEC,ACC,PAC 12, etc. Based on what I saw from present records, most (if not all)every bowl would have tied in contenders from respective conferences for every bowl game. So I'm assuming that even with 7-5 or 8-4....even 9-3, hypothetically.....LU would not have a bowl unless one of the conferences tied to one of the bowls failed to reach 6-6?
By Jonathan Carone
The only game we have a tie in with is the Cure Bowl. We could go 10-2 and still not have a guaranteed bowl game this year. That’s why the increase in bowl tie ins next year is huge.
By LUDad

Speaking to the corporate sponsor thing, would not suprise me to see LU approaching companies like Chick Fila for possible ad support to go their target bowl to enhance the selection process.
By CCWMichael
LUDad wrote: October 1st, 2019, 3:08 pm

Speaking to the corporate sponsor thing, would not suprise me to see LU approaching companies like Chick Fila for possible ad support to go their target bowl to enhance the selection process.
If we were willing to pay 10mil to gain conference access nothing wuill surprise me.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
we should finish 7-5. one game off my prediction. we will not beat BYU or UVA but Rutgers is starting to look promising.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I'd come down from Portsmouth, meet you guys at Jon's house and caravan with you for that game if it happened
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Fine...but that definitely would be worth the trip.
By LUAlum1215
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 7th, 2019, 10:10 am Ain't no one coming to my house.

There's also no way I'm driving to Birmingham if flights are only $205.
Not sure where you are, but AA shows $328 from the ‘Burg as of this morning.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]